The gift of hearing....do you cherish it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are just too silly for words.

WHy don't you go taunt paraplegics on some other websites?:wave:

Did somebody call for a Deaf quadriplegic? :wave: :naughty:

Nah, I believe they know that. Just that they're happy to now hear even more than before and hear the sweet sound. The gift of hearing. Even my stepdad finally got a HA and realized how much sound he actually missed.

Nah, I believe they know that. Just that they're happy to now hear even more than before and hear the sweet sound. The gift of hearing. Even my stepdad finally got a HA and realized how much sound he actually missed.

Did u ask them that?

That is lie you know it.

Note my correction already. I believe they already know that. It's like this group of people who set out to provide free glasses containing optic fluid for people in many countries who cannot afford glasses nor get the right presciption. In the UK it's one eye doctor for every 10,000 while in Africa it's like one eye doctor for every 1 million people.
Centre for Vision in the Developing World

They know that putting on glasses doesn't cure their vision but it's the next best thing.

Did u ask them that?

Just my belief, see my analogy for glasses. You can see the joy in their faces once they get that wonderful surge of sound they missed for so long. Their joy and thanks can be seen in many of their faces.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/jobs/01boss.html - the story about Starkey.

But I did go to college, in Minnesota, where I took a part-time job making earpieces for hearing aids. I had absolutely no interest in it, but it was a job and I did the best I could.

What changed me was seeing in people’s eyes what it meant to finally be able to hear. I planned to be a doctor, but in my first year of medical school I decided that there would be no need to deal with patients dying if I stuck with helping people hear. I also saw that I could still help people by working in a business. It wasn’t just about making money. I wanted to make my life count for as much as I could. As a doctor working in a small town, the chances I’d be another Jonas Salk were small.

Years ago, I traveled to the White House to fit Ronald Reagan with a hearing aid. I carried in a bowling bag a 50-pound motor that I used for modifying the hearing-aid impression. The Secret Service asked me for my Social Security number, and I said: “You’ve got to be kidding. I have no idea.” They let me in anyway.

I’ve fit hearing aids for numerous celebrities and other presidents, but Reagan was different. I was so in awe of the office I was almost speechless. There I was, probing the president’s ear canal with a long, thin metal instrument to remove some ear wax, and I was having such difficulty talking that I choked.

Recently I fit a 13-year-old from Guatemala who was suffering from a thyroid problem. He was about 8 feet tall and used a wheelchair because his knees couldn’t support him. Some people thought he was mentally impaired, but he just needed a connection to the outside world.

Just my belief, see my analogy for glasses. You can see the joy in their faces once they get that wonderful surge of sound they missed for so long. Their joy and thanks can be seen in many of their faces.

You are entitled to your belief. I just hope that they recieved the support afterwards..not just being fitted with hearing aids and expect to "hear" everything especially in the classroom setting. I just get concerned with any child being seen as being able to "hear" with hearing aids and then left to fend for themselves in the hearing world. I have no problem with childrren getting hearing aids ..just hope that the adults there dont believe that all their hearing problems are solved.

This is a global issue, not just about classroom situations.

This is a very good philanthropy organization..."So the world may hear."

The Starkey Hearing Foundation

Texas Hearing Mission A Success!
Bill Austin and the Starkey Hearing Foundation mission team led a Texas-sized mission in Fort Worth with the generous help of sponsors Jones Hearing Centers, Delta Zeta Sorority, The Lunch Box, Tower Digital and Bass Performance Hall. 400 hearing aids were given to happy-hearing ears, as despite the gloomy weather outside, inside the walls of Bass Performance Hall was anything but that.

There to support the efforts were actor Lou Ferrigno, former Miss America Heather Whitestone McCallum, local philanthropists Betty and Johnny Rutherford and former weatherman for local ABC affiliate WFAA Troy Dungan.

Among other interesting happenings during the event, Fort Worth Mayor Mike Moncrief declared Sept. 12 “Hearing Awareness Day” for the city. One of the mayor’s goals is to make the city more friendly to the hearing-impaired.

Hearing Mission Season Officially Under Way - First Stop: Guatemala
Aug. 18 – 19, Starkey Hearing Foundation and sponsor Rayovac took a ride to Central America and visited Guatemala, where 760 hearing instruments were fit on local children and adults. Operation Honduras and TeleTon Guatemala were on hand to assist the mission team, as hundreds of people returned home rejuvenated and more capable to take on the roads they face ahead.

09_Guatamala_sponsors_013.JPG

Here's a wonderful, wonderful organization that has outfitted almost 350,000 hearing aids to date around the world for children called "Hearing Angel."

Hearing Angel ? A Starkey Hearing Foundation Initiative

Stories of gratitude and thanks...from kids!
Hearing Angel ? Stories
Starkey Hearing Foundation
Belle Keeps On Giving
This picture was created by Belle Gaudreau, who was one of our 2005 Starkey Hearing Foundation Poster Children. The now 11-yearold Belle was recently refitted for new hearing instruments this past January to replace her old ones she has outgrown. After her refitting she made the decision to illustrate her gratitude to Bill and Tani Austin for receiving the Gift of Hearing through her artwork. She also shared with us that art is subsequently her favorite school subject. “We have been so grateful over the years,” her mother Rebecca Gaudreau told us. “There are only so many ways we can say ‘thank you.’ This was Belle’s special way of thanking Bill and Tani and the great work of the foundation.”
PICTURE DRAWING FROM GIRL shows red hearts, with drawing of man "Bill Ashton" holding hands with drawings of smaller children on globe. Says "By Belle Gaudreu:To Everyone in Starkey" and in larger letters "So the world may hear a better place for hearing."

Hearing Angel ? Stories

copy-photo-gaudreau01.jpg

Last edited:
I think telling deaf people that hearing "that wonderful surge of sound they missed for so long" is offensive. A lot of these members have never heard anything. Nothing like rubbing their noses in what they are never going to have. I will be quiet now, before I erupt.

:mad:

I think telling deaf people that hearing "that wonderful surge of sound they missed for so long" is offensive. A lot of these members have never heard anything. Nothing like rubbing their noses in what they are never going to have. I will be quiet now, before I erupt.

:mad:

Lol, relax, dude, relax. Just do as I do and cherish the silence between sounds. That is what it is all about, anyway. :lol:

Many do take bliss in their own silence and are very happy with that, and that's fine. On the other hand, there are many who do cherish the sound they are able to hear with the aid of a HA. And they happy, even feel blessed that technology is able to do that for them. Unless somebody is suggesting that's discussing the joys of sound ought to be verboten here in AD??

Watch out, the hearing kultur has arrived!

Really, it's great they are doing this. I can't deny the benefits of CIs and hearing aids, but I can't really turn a blind eye to the abuse that come with them-- oral perfectionism.

Watch out, the hearing kultur has arrived!

Really, it's great they are doing this. I can't deny the benefits of CIs and hearing aids, but I can't really turn a blind eye to the abuse that come with them-- oral perfectionism.

Same here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back