the energy that a dhh kid expends on listening

deafdyke

Reaction score
Meh....it's a blog. Just one person's opinion. I have commented before that I do a lot of lip reading and that I don't find it tiring at all. Everybody is different but people who have kids know that normally they are bundles if energy. I don't think getting "tired" will be an issue for most.

Still not taking a side on either type of education...but I think this is a weak argument.

Meh....it's a blog. Just one person's opinion. I have commented before that I do a lot of lip reading and that I don't find it tiring at all. Everybody is different but people who have kids know that normally they are bundles if energy. I don't think getting "tired" will be an issue for most.

Still not taking a side on either type of education...but I think this is a weak argument.

oh you've done lip reading in educational setting?

MORE Blogs is Needed like this

you're one of the very few too, the few who prefers to deny whats it really like to be deaf
it doesnt mean you're right, it just means you prefer not to know it

good on him, at least he's not groaning, he is actually actively putting it out there in the world, a blog is just one channel, but an effective one

DD keep looking out for some more...and share

oh you've done lip reading in educational setting?

I have. It ain't no fun, either. Easier for me, though, because I grew to be a really good lip reader out of necessity.

Last edited:
I always had an ASL interpreter in an educational setting. There's no way to lipread a teacher when their back is to the class because they're writing on the board or running the projectors. And how do you lipread when the lights are off and a class film is running? I thank my lucky stars I always had ASL growing up. My family did know basic sign, but it wasn't used THAT MUCH at home. ASL 100% got me through the school system.

Not taking sides either....but can imagine the toll it takes upon a child who was born deaf...As for late-deafened, it's much easier and of course for those who are HOH.

As for any educational meetings, company meetings, etc., no way could I get everything that was said. Concentration on a daily basis takes it's toll...with headaches and eye strain, plus lots of misunderstandings, even some emotional issues and feelings of being left out.

Not taking sides either....but can imagine the toll it takes upon a child who was born deaf...As for late-deafened, it's much easier and of course for those who are HOH.

As for any educational meetings, company meetings, etc., no way could I get everything that was said. Concentration on a daily basis takes it's toll...with headaches and eye strain, plus lots of misunderstandings, even some emotional issues and feelings of being left out.

It's a hard strain even for those of us who are HOH.

You're late deafened. Processing hearing when you're dhh as a kid is HARD...it is their WEAK point. Why hyperfocus so much on a weak point? If they added ASL, they could do a LOT better!

You're late deafened. Processing hearing when you're dhh as a kid is HARD...it is their WEAK point. Why hyperfocus so much on a weak point? If they added ASL, they could do a LOT better!

As usual, I disagree. And you have misunderstood what I have said. Falling back on "reading lips is tiring" is a weak argument. Meaning, not many people are going to buy that. That's all.

MORE Blogs is Needed like this

you're one of the very few too, the few who prefers to deny whats it really like to be deaf
it doesnt mean you're right, it just means you prefer not to know it

Do I? Are you sure?

I don't think you have been paying attention.

I remember getting headaches and achy eyes at the end of the day growing up. One physical therapist said my back and shoulders were so tight and he told me that I need to learn how to relax. How could I when I was constantly stressed all day trying not to miss out on what is being said and working hard to keep up? I felt that hearing people never understood.

Lipreading in meetings, educational settings, or movies? No thank you! It is not healthy for me.

Last edited:
TXgolfer - you are the ONLY person (out of thousands) I know who's said that it wasn't tiring/stressful etc speechreading.

Maybe it's different if you're LD, but for those of us who were born with hearing loss, especially with hearing loss that "got worse" over time, it IS exhausting. This isn't opinion, it's been scientifically proven that even the most proficient and natural speechreaders have to work mentally harder to understand than their hearing peers.

If speechreading is relaxing and passive for you (like listening is for hearing people) then you are a rare exception, and most certainly NOT the "norm".

TXgolfer - you are the ONLY person (out of thousands) I know who's said that it wasn't tiring/stressful etc speechreading.

Maybe it's different if you're LD, but for those of us who were born with hearing loss, especially with hearing loss that "got worse" over time, it IS exhausting. This isn't opinion, it's been scientifically proven that even the most proficient and natural speechreaders have to work mentally harder to understand than their hearing peers.

If speechreading is relaxing and passive for you (like listening is for hearing people) then you are a rare exception, and most certainly NOT the "norm".

Well, since several of you are intent on placing labels, consider this.... The label you attempt to place on me "LD" infers that I was "hearing" for a period of time. Since "hearing people" are the audience, or people you are trying to convince....it might make sense to listen to which arguments "hearing people" will and will not buy. Just sayin.

very true...i get bad migraines,which joins with another thread on disability head aches are most disabiliting thing can have or is for me.
i not great at lip reading apart from family friends and they say up to 40%you can read,i disagree i pick up about 20%...it is hard on children in hearing world and to see them relax with children signing is obvious...

Let me just say that after losing my hearing as a pre-teen...I learned how to lipread and became very fluent....now that I'm much older, my eyes have taken a beating...and so many times when I was lipreading and trying to keep up with the convo...I just closed my eyes...for a rest?...or a headache was beginning....the concentration was too much....Now after one surgery (eye) and one more coming in September...I realize a lot...My eyes are my ears...I value them highly...rest them often...

Back