The End, Deaf short film

Speedy Hawk

Reaction score
Some of you may remember the short film called My Song. This is another film show on same broadcast.

This one is called The End. It film about how the "Cure" impacts on Deaf Culture and Deaf Community. It follows 1 girl and 3 boys growing up, 9 years old, teen, young adult, middle age and old age. They covers all sorts of communication. 1 BSL user (boy), 1 mixure BSL and SSE user (boy) 1 oral user (boy), 1 SSE user (girl).

www.bslbt.co.uk/zoom/films/zoom_focus_2011/the_end/

What do you think of it?

I thought it was great film and thought the ending was so sad. Won't say much for now cos do not want to spoil it for you.

Werid. I did post link. It disappeared. Let me put it back in again!

EDIT: Now thread been posted twice, wonder why is that cos I only pressed submit once.

It is loading seconds at a time on my computer. I am trying to load it all and then watch.

Good idea, thought it was my connection was the problem. That what I did, took about 10-15 minutes to complete.

Just now, it said the plug in was unresponsive and stopped loading. And I can't get back to the page either.

It's a very interesting film, and it provokes a number of interesting questions. I don't want to discuss them here as it would spoil the film for those who haven't watched it yet.

I didn't have any problems watching it today. I wonder if the problems people experienced earlier was due to high website traffic as the film was only released yesterday (20th June) and there was a flood of people wanting to watch it at the same time slowing the connection.

Here's the full link that people can use to cut & paste directly into their own browsers if having problems with the link above
(NOTE: add a 'h' to the beginning so it reads "http://www.....")
ttp://www.bslbt.co.uk/zoom/films/zoom_focus_2011/the_end/

I finally managed to watch it last night, and thought or hoped it was an unlikely scenario. It's like the old controversy over cochlear implants, and that didn't really come true.

Hmm... it's playing for 1 second, then pause to load for 5 seconds, then play for 1 second, then pause to load for 5 seconds, etc... gonna take me forever to watch the whole thing... one second at a time. :(

I finally managed to watch it last night, and thought or hoped it was an unlikely scenario. It's like the old controversy over cochlear implants, and that didn't really come true.

Glad you finally able to see it.

Hmm... it's playing for 1 second, then pause to load for 5 seconds, then play for 1 second, then pause to load for 5 seconds, etc... gonna take me forever to watch the whole thing... one second at a time. :(

You need to press play and then pause it. Wait for buffer bar to complete to end then press play without any buffering.

It's a very interesting film, and it provokes a number of interesting questions. I don't want to discuss them here as it would spoil the film for those who haven't watched it yet.

I didn't have any problems watching it today. I wonder if the problems people experienced earlier was due to high website traffic as the film was only released yesterday (20th June) and there was a flood of people wanting to watch it at the same time slowing the connection.

Here's the full link that people can use to cut & paste directly into their own browsers if having problems with the link above
(NOTE: add a 'h' to the beginning so it reads "http://www.....")
ttp://www.bslbt.co.uk/zoom/films/zoom_focus_2011/the_end/

Lot of Deaf people went to Deaffest (festival film for the Deaf) and this film was shown on it and those Deaf saw it and told many more Deaf about this film and it sorta spread fast and everyone wanted to watch it.

The End is very good film. Bit sad that only deaf man at end and no deaf community in future. Hope this wont happen in REAL future as it's nice to have mixed language for some reason because when you in rock band... how can you communicate to other people throughout loud music etc... Sign Language is good and we should use that language forever.

Psst.. Hi Speedy Hawk :)

The film reminded me of the dystopic novels we studied in high school, like 1984, Brave New World. On one hand, I do understand why people would want to get stem cell treatment. My sister sent me the link to the article about stem cell research in Britain and I remember thinking - good thing I didn't get a cochlear implant or I wouldn't be a candidate for this treatment once it becomes approved.
On the other hand, I would feel like that guy who was in prison - ears got fixed but his mind and his soul was still Deaf.

I still never got to see, but that's okay. I waited up to 30 minutes for it to load and still it did not. I do have high-speed internet so it's not like I am on dial-up.

Wow. That was really very good. Well done.

Back