The drawings from Scary Stories series

Sutter Cane

Reaction score
There are three children books called "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" told by Alvin Schwartz. Each book contains a bunch of horror short stores and some funny lyrics. Some stories are pretty interesting but since the books are for children, it lacks a lot of details. Reading the short stories is like reading summaries.

Anyway I remember reading those books when I was in elementary school and just how terrified I was by looking at the drawings that came with the books. Years later I brought all three books so I can torn out the drawings and put them together on my bulletin board. Now I was just looking at it and wonder about something (actually I wonder about it every time I look at it.) That's when I decide to make a thread about this because I want to ask you something.

I bet you if you saw the drawings for the first time, the last thing you would guess where it came from would be a children book. Is it just me or are the drawings too dark for children? Hell I'm 24 now and those pictures still brings me the chills. So what do you think? Do you think those drawings are appropriate enough to be in a kiddie book?

The drawings...
scary stories stephen gammell - Google Search

OMG I remember those books as a kid, I read all of them. Those drawings were creepy! What was even creepier was copying the pages and giving them to your friends. The kids in my class were so obsessed with those books we actually drew our own.

I loved these when I was a kid. I was a really weird kid though. The pictures are super creepy looking at them now. :x

Back