The Cochlear Implant Isn't Always What You Think It Is

A friend of mine told she got CI for first time, who born usher syndrome. Her co-workers were expect her to able to hearing everything.

I find it amazing that hearing have misconcept about CI.

Unfortunately, that CI doesn't suit well for her anymore. The more confirm I believe that CI is purpose for loss hearing, not deaf-born.

Yes, AMEN!!!I do think that they can work well with some born deaf folks but it seems like the results are mixed with kids. Yes, there are some " functions as HOH" successes but pretty much all of them still use ALDs and closed captioned....ALL of which hearing people do not use!

deafdyke, what problem do you have with implanted people who still use closed captions and similar services? CI doesn't fix people, it helps them to hear more than they would without CI. And it doesn't matter what the "final" level of hearing with CI is, as long as it helps at least somehow. So please stop with all that nonsense that CI is useless blah blah blah.

I'm not the "rock star" kind of CI user, but I'm very happy and grateful for it, because it makes my life way better. I don't use phone, because I'm too lazy to try and train it. I use closed captions, because I understand films, news etc. better. But I don't care. I can talk to people. I'm able to speak and understand foreign languages quite ok. I can listen to music when I want. I enjoy walking on the sea shore and listening to waves. I enjoy walking in rustling leaves in the autumn. And that's much more interesting and important to me than not being able to do phone calls or understand movies without subtitles. What's wrong with this?

CI isn't working for me due to broken motor and my doctor believes that 1988 meningitis is blamed for problem. I couldn't write a sentence on own until I was 13 years old, also I can't determine the sounds with CI - it is hear like all scrambling.

Now, I'm suffering from complication from surgery for 20 years now - I have soreness in right sided head with tenderness, tingling, confusion and dizziness.

She got it only in late 2000s (before 2010s). I also meet other Usher Syndrome from Boston. He said CI doesn't work well on him. He couldn't understand the different sound. I dunno what year he got CI. Both aren't happy with CI. What's heck wrong with doctor? :roll:

I'm not the "rock star" kind of CI user, but I'm very happy and grateful for it, because it makes my life way better. I don't use phone, because I'm too lazy to try and train it. I use closed captions, because I understand films, news etc. better. But I don't care. I can talk to people. I'm able to speak and understand foreign languages quite ok. I can listen to music when I want. I enjoy walking on the sea shore and listening to waves. I enjoy walking in rustling leaves in the autumn. And that's much more interesting and important to me than not being able to do phone calls or understand movies without subtitles. What's wrong with this?

I recall other CI-user who been told to required to take course to train and it cost money on each month which sound expensive to me. For some reason, I felt that in late age, it become much difficult for them to learn while baby start learn quick.

Scary part by put the tiny machine in baby's head. I only can think it's probably okay for few year age, probably 4-6 after lost hearing. Yet, everybody have different view.

deafdyke, what problem do you have with implanted people who still use closed captions and similar services? CI doesn't fix people, it helps them to hear more than they would without CI. And it doesn't matter what the "final" level of hearing with CI is, as long as it helps at least somehow. So please stop with all that nonsense that CI is useless blah blah blah.

I have no beef with all those accomondations. BUT the CI is portrayed as something that can make someone "almost hearing" ... Almost all dhh people use ALDs and other accomondations....and those things are things that hearing people generally don't use. You have to understand that the effectiveness of CI varies HUGELY from functionally HOH to can only detect enviormental sounds and everything in between. Even the ones who are functionally HOH STILL have to use FM, ALDs etc that hearing people generally don't. That's my point.

Also zajko, my point is....the title of this thread is "the CI isn't what you think it is." Hearing people think it will give a dhh person perfect hearing ... It doesn't....At best it gives people HOH level functioning, which isn't really hearing person hearing.

Hearing people can think what they want - sooner or later they'll realize they might be wrong. But you would do better if you went educating them, not still beating a dead horse here, because we know how it is.
And to be honest, you don't.

CI isnt all you think it is to "HEARING" people, they think its a quick fix. Its just a helpful tool to those who have it.

Also zajko, my point is....the title of this thread is "the CI isn't what you think it is." Hearing people think it will give a dhh person perfect hearing ... It doesn't....At best it gives people HOH level functioning, which isn't really hearing person hearing.

And you keep saying that. You have no idea because you don't have a CI. I don't either, yet I don't go around saying "HOH functioning." There have been so many members on this board who have discussed their actual CI experiences. Stop posting on their behalf, PLEASE.

CIs are a love hate relationship thats personal. Its invasive and it takes time to decide if you want it or not ( except babies who parents decide) I think its great that the parents try to help their child best they can, but if the child is deaf and it doesnt work, they dont have to wear it and its forgotten. Late deafened or hoh older peeps have a choice, Myself, I went deaf and I wanted to hear so much, I struggled with the question for awhile as I didnt know about them, but what did I have to lose? I was deaf anyways... so 50/50 it works or it doesnt, and my chance on it was a win/win. Although it isnt perfect, it helps, I feel I hear pretty normal again, just some things sound odd or off because I could never hear these sounds before since birth, and now Im asking whats this or that sound. Music still sucks, not bad, but it sucks since the CI is geared towards vocals, but it gets better with time. Remember there are 300,000 nerve fibers being stimulated with 22 or 24 electrodes, big difference.
For those who dont like CI, to each their own, get over it....you didnt get one quit whining. Those who did, you made a choice to improve your life in one way or another, congrats if it helped, sorry if it didnt.... simple as that.
Why do outsiders bash them? Jealousy? or just plain rudeness because no one came to your rescue? Let it go, move on, theres too much hate in the world to worry about besides if someone did something you didnt ( I could be a little more brutal with this, but keeping it civil ) Peace, be happy and quit worrying about what joe blow did.

Once I got to no response forget about it. I wasn't hearing diddly with my ha, I didn't even know if the battery had died, one day I even wore with no battery and had no idea until I took it off that night and opened the battery door. That might be the day I stopped bothering to wear it ����

I would too! :lol:

Our experience was the opposite hmm? Your loss was progressive until you turned 20 then leveled off. My hearing loss started at 20 and just kept going until there was nothing left. I'm still deaf though :) it's so weird when I put it on or take it off I cannot even explain it.

Totally get it. The only thing I think that's different from yours than mine is that because I was so young when I had a little more hearing I don't even remember anymore what it was like to hear at a better level than I have now. I've gotten too old. :lol:

I would too! :lol:

Totally get it. The only thing I think that's different from yours than mine is that because I was so young when I had a little more hearing I don't even remember anymore what it was like to hear at a better level than I have now. I've gotten too old. :lol:
Ive never heard a bird in my life until the CI, ruffling leaves when the wind blew just scared me out of my pants... trying to figure out what sounds were... Squirrels chattering in the trees...never heard it before and I couldnt figure out what these sounds were until I asked friends and family. Some sounds were frightening until I knew what they were, and phantom hearing is a whole new game itself, thinking you hear stuff but youre now completely deaf with not even the faintest residual hearing after a CI , its strange at first, takes getting used to... but it works ( for some)

Ive never heard a bird in my life until the CI, ruffling leaves when the wind blew just scared me out of my pants... trying to figure out what sounds were... Squirrels chattering in the trees...never heard it before and I couldnt figure out what these sounds were until I asked friends and family. Some sounds were frightening until I knew what they were, and phantom hearing is a whole new game itself, thinking you hear stuff but youre now completely deaf with not even the faintest residual hearing after a CI , its strange at first, takes getting used to... but it works ( for some)

I can somewhat relate. I'm sure you hear much more than I do with your CI, but when I got my new HAs the first week in January, I was hearing my jeans rustle when I walk, my winter coat squeaking (especially the leather one!), stuff like that. I was cringing this morning when I was loading the dishwasher and I was sure I was waking up the dead.

I can somewhat relate. I'm sure you hear much more than I do with your CI, but when I got my new HAs the first week in January, I was hearing my jeans rustle when I walk, my winter coat squeaking (especially the leather one!), stuff like that. I was cringing this morning when I was loading the dishwasher and I was sure I was waking up the dead.
Here is a true and funny story.
After I got my CIs and recovered, I went back to one of the support group meets to talk and thanks the members who talked with me about getting the CIs.
Well, it was my weekend and I had my son with me so of course we had snacks.
Now with CIs, everything seems ungodly loud, wake the dead....
So we are sitting in the conference with all the CI, Baja...ect... members listening to the speaker and reading the CC on the wall, so now my son wants a snack and pulls out the little bag of chips to open, I swear you could hear this bag a mile away !!!! It is so noisy to open, the rustling, crunching of the bag and Im trying to be very quiet and it seems to get louded!!!! I noticed a few turning, looking for the source of the noise so I go out in the hall to finish opening it, ahhh done. I go back in and give it to my son.... OH LORD NO !!! his little hand fishing for the perfect chip to eat lol So we waited in the hall and when the meet was over we finally got to mingle and talked with everyone, so many comments on the chip bag and why I went out in the hall, it was still loud...smh.
But yeah, i cant tell if Im quiet or waking the dead with them on.

Back