The Cochlear Implant Isn't Always What You Think It Is

What are these people employed doing for a living? Above mentioned graphic designer which is interesting and seems like a good career.

You need to stop harping on needing to hear to do jobs. Yes, I know you're late deafened and it's hard to imagine, but it's doable. I myself am a applications developer (computer programmer).

You need to stop harping on needing to hear to do jobs. Yes, I know you're late deafened and it's hard to imagine, but it's doable. I myself am a applications developer (computer programmer).

Really, why is it so hard for people to share information that would be beneficial to others. I'm not asking for names of individuals holding the jobs? Don't need to mention the company either.

It would be nice to know where others have found success in employment with deafness? I also find it somewhat inspiring to see what other people are able to do that I would not have though possible.

Take a look at the following site: http://deafnation.com/nobarriers/usa-tour/
There are some of videos of interviews of deaf people doing different jobs - not just factory jobs: Starbucks, restaurants, vet clinic, etc.
These are ASL videos and not all are captioned. Not sure if you sign.

You can also look at this: https://pahwork.com/
While the list isn't long (I think it just started this year), these are employees hiring deaf employees. Most are within the deaf community or deaf services.

yes the pahwork site just started in the last year or so, so still small.

Why does it matter what they do? The best kind of job is one you know you will enjoy.

The only one I can think of specifically is the guy who is the chief of FCC's Disability Rights Office. As mentioned in the other thread, I knew someone at DFAS but cannot remember what kind of work she did (it was over 10 years ago). I have a friend who was once a nurse (and there are a few deaf physicians). Another works for the government as a accountant (something like that I don't know her exact title but I do know it has to do with accounting). I'd have to take a peek at a friend's LinkedIn friends for more info on what potential jobs there are.

The thing is it's only as hard as you make it to be.
I started out as a case manager (that was fun :P Did have an amplified handset but still had trouble and did have interpreters since 1 worked there anyway) then switched to IT as a QA Tester.

The difference is most of the deaf people I know (since college) are born deaf or lost hearing very early in life (before 13), I knew very few late deafened. Yes I bitch a lot but if it's a job I want then I make it work and keep asking.

For now the aids are fine, I doubt I will ever go for a CI (probably not eligible)- I will deal with it at the time if I ever lose whatever little hearing I have is gone.

CI is nothing compared to normal hearing... It helps but its not the cure.
I love some things about it 25% and I hate other things about it 75%

CI is nothing compared to normal hearing... It helps but its not the cure.
I love some things about it 25% and I hate other things about it 75%

That's interesting that you hate about 75% of your CI. Can I ask what things you hate? You know I don't have one so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

The listed study deals with children born deaf. Their parents- expectations teachers reality in lower school.

Not exactly the situation of adults becoming deaf.

Well it's pretty well acknowledged that postlingal deaf adults get the biggest benefit from it. Some don't even use ALDs, or closed captioned.

Well it's pretty well acknowledged that postlingal deaf adults get the biggest benefit from it. Some don't even use ALDs, or closed captioned.

I saw Star Wars a few weeks ago, got a captiview but the captions were screwy. Lots and lot of sentences were missing, probably at least one in three sentences weren't captioned. But I still understood most of it, missed very very little :) Yay!!!!! There's not much I don't like about my CI. Phone is iffy, I'm not sure if depends on the person or the connection. Sometimes I have 0 problems, sometimes I'm "what?what?what?"

That's interesting that you hate about 75% of your CI. Can I ask what things you hate? You know I don't have one so I'm just asking out of curiosity.
its geared towards vocal, so music sucks ( slowly getting used to it and better, but Im impatient )
Then , I hate having to carry around the accessories, extra batteries, chargers..ect... a woman it isnt so bad since they can carry half the house in their purse, men on the other hand dont...just a wallet.
I guess being new to CIs, I hate the feel of being weighted down, relying on batteries...ect.. Just me. I have been going without them mostly on the weekends and the weeks I dont have my son. I especially hate when I run off near the end of the life of the batteries and dont switch out before leaving, only 5 minutes after Im on the highway they beep and I got about 10 minutes left when Im headed somewhere important or I know I need to talk to someone or a phone call coming in... it never ends, just did it again tonight taking my son home, but luckily my wife an I know ASL enough to carry on.

I saw Star Wars a few weeks ago, got a captiview but the captions were screwy. Lots and lot of sentences were missing, probably at least one in three sentences weren't captioned. But I still understood most of it, missed very very little :) Yay!!!!! There's not much I don't like about my CI. Phone is iffy, I'm not sure if depends on the person or the connection. Sometimes I have 0 problems, sometimes I'm "what?what?what?"
thats funny, I can hear fine on my iphone without the enhancement, but when my mom calls I cant understand half the **** she says, for one she yells all the time being my sister cant hear and refuses to wear her HAs and wont get CIs either. Im constantly telling my mom to stop yelling and she gets an attitude because she says shes not when she is ( and thats been confirmed by my son, wife, and other people) yet she gets pissed at me telling me to turn my "ears" down... Then when I dont wear the CI's she yells louder because she doesnt get it that I am completely deaf?
oh well. ignorance at its best.

It's my new work, when they call I what more so I kinda think it's their phone, only had problems with one other phone call. Granted I still don't use much, way out of the habit. I don't carry much of anything around with me. The other day I threw in my battery that takes disposables, and a pack of disposables, in my purse. Figured I should for just in case. My small batteries, the 110s, last me I don't know 10-12 hours way longer than a day of work, by the time it does I'm back home anyway. Music I know sounds good. Music I don't is meh, but getting better.

It's my new work, when they call I what more so I kinda think it's their phone, only had problems with one other phone call. Granted I still don't use much, way out of the habit. I don't carry much of anything around with me. The other day I threw in my battery that takes disposables, and a pack of disposables, in my purse. Figured I should for just in case. My small batteries, the 110s, last me I don't know 10-12 hours way longer than a day of work, by the time it does I'm back home anyway. Music I know sounds good. Music I don't is meh, but getting better.
Yes, some music is ok if Im familiar with it already, new stuff, still trying to figure out... when I first got activated, i was trying to listen to some oldies, kept hearing this crashing sound and Im like WTF is that???? guess what? it was drum cymbals Ive never heard, so it really threw my game off, I actually hated it becuase I never heard them and it changed the whole sound of the music.lol

I have read the same, that music is not great for most with CIs. And, I so love music with my HAs, so that was one of the deciding factors in my sticking with HAs.

It's not like music sounded good with my hearing aids, not with digitals anyway. Analogs were okay, but after I went digital I couldn't listen to new music anymore. I remember not long after I got digitals I bought Dave Mathews Band's album Groogrux King when it came out. I was so pissed, it just sounded like messy gibberish, but then after I dipped into profound I couldn't listen to even music I already knew and recognized, my memory had just been helping me out. But now with my CI I can listen to stuff I haven't listened to in years. Even if new to me music doesn't sound fantastic, I can still listen to it, and thoroughly enjoy older music so it's certainly not something I'm going to complain about. It's something that was given back to me, I'm not going to bitch that it's not perfect. That's just ungrateful.

It's not like music sounded good with my hearing aids, not with digitals anyway. Analogs were okay, but after I went digital I couldn't listen to new music anymore. I remember not long after I got digitals I bought Dave Mathews Band's album Groogrux King when it came out. I was so pissed, it just sounded like messy gibberish, but then after I dipped into profound I couldn't listen to even music I already knew and recognized, my memory had just been helping me out. But now with my CI I can listen to stuff I haven't listened to in years. Even if new to me music doesn't sound fantastic, I can still listen to it, and thoroughly enjoy older music so it's certainly not something I'm going to complain about. It's something that was given back to me, I'm not going to bitch that it's not perfect. That's just ungrateful.

Interesting POV. I think I'm deaf enough (115 db) that I haven't been able to tell much difference at all between analogs and digital. Hence my reluctance to fork over the thousands of dollars for digital aids, but it's so hard to find analogs these days. But between digital and analog, music sounds the same to me. I guess it's different for everyone. I'm loving that I can bluetooth (stream) it right into my HA so there's no external noise interference. I don't understand the lyrics but I like the sounds very much. My own personal white noise :)

A friend of mine told she got CI for first time, who born usher syndrome. Her co-workers were expect her to able to hearing everything.

I find it amazing that hearing have misconcept about CI.

Unfortunately, that CI doesn't suit well for her anymore. The more confirm I believe that CI is purpose for loss hearing, not deaf-born.

Interesting POV. I think I'm deaf enough (115 db) that I haven't been able to tell much difference at all between analogs and digital. Hence my reluctance to fork over the thousands of dollars for digital aids, but it's so hard to find analogs these days. But between digital and analog, music sounds the same to me. I guess it's different for everyone. I'm loving that I can bluetooth (stream) it right into my HA so there's no external noise interference. I don't understand the lyrics but I like the sounds very much. My own personal white noise :)

When I switched from analogs to digitals my hearing loss was at severe levels, so I had fairly decent hearing with has. With the analogs it just amplified everything, so I heard everything. Digitals played with the sound too much and muffled the music badly, sure great for speech but for music meh. But once I got to profound it was that much harder. At severe the difference was discernible but with your level of loss I can understand why you can't tell the difference. Once I got to no response forget about it. I wasn't hearing diddly with my ha, I didn't even know if the battery had died, one day I even wore with no battery and had no idea until I took it off that night and opened the battery door. That might be the day I stopped bothering to wear it ����

So yeah I can see what you're saying. It's what you're used to, and you dooooo enjoy it so why risk it when there's a good chance music would be thoroughly I unenjoyable and given your history CI success for even speech would be dubious. If I was an adult that was born deaf and was involved with the deaf community and knew ASL I wouldn't get a CI. This is also why I boggle at the idea of making children born deaf wait until they're old enough to make the decision themselves. At that point it isn't much of a choice anymore.

Anyway, yeah music wasn't I had enjoyed anyway in at least 3-4 years preimplantation. The last year before that I heard basically nothing. Even with my ha on I didn't even get environmental sounds so I would sound truly ungrateful to gripe that it isn't "perfect" or just like naturally. My hearing with my CI is nothing short of phenomal, absolutely amazing compared to everything I couldn't hear before. But our experiences and perspectives are bound to differ dramatically born deaf/hoh vs late deafened.

Our experience was the opposite hmm? Your loss was progressive until you turned 20 then leveled off. My hearing loss started at 20 and just kept going until there was nothing left. I'm still deaf though :) it's so weird when I put it on or take it off I cannot even explain it.

Tell movie theater owner to add CI sync headphone to CaptiView and you will hear blast like crazy - sounds is just like go out of control as many words went missing.

Oh my, not again, but just messing. :lol:

A friend of mine told she got CI for first time, who born usher syndrome. Her co-workers were expect her to able to hearing everything.

I find it amazing that hearing have misconcept about CI.

Unfortunately, that CI doesn't suit well for her anymore. The more confirm I believe that CI is purpose for loss hearing, not deaf-born.

CI isn't working for me due to broken motor and my doctor believes that 1988 meningitis is blamed for problem. I couldn't write a sentence on own until I was 13 years old, also I can't determine the sounds with CI - it is hear like all scrambling.

Now, I'm suffering from complication from surgery for 20 years now - I have soreness in right sided head with tenderness, tingling, confusion and dizziness.

Mine was 1984 meningitis and I was considered bad candidate at the time,unfortunatly I seen them fail friend same age as me had CI she bitterly disappointed.I have been offered since but no garantee it not make other brain condition worse
What you have fox I could not cope with that,must be depressing

Back