The challenge of being a deaf person.

Weshoulddo

The biggest challenge is overcoming the day-to-day, default assumption by most people that everyone can hear. There have been cases of deaf people being assaulted by police officers for not responding to their verbal commands, there have been others hit by cars and yelled at because the drivers assumed everyone can hear just like them and they honked for crying out loud! Most people don’t try to learn sign language in order to communicate, they leave the burden on the deaf person to compensate and keep up. Designers of systems rarely consider the deaf person by providing visual indicators just like other systems that depend on visual cues that don’t provide audio cues as well. There are enough people that are either deaf or blind (or in some cases both) that designers should consider visual, tactile, and audio cues for all their system designs. How about you, what are your personal challenges as a deaf person?

deerheart12

The biggest challenge is overcoming the day-to-day, default assumption by most people that everyone can hear. There have been cases of deaf people being assaulted by police officers for not responding to their verbal commands, there have been others hit by cars and yelled at because the drivers assumed everyone can hear just like them and they honked for crying out loud! Most people don’t try to learn sign language in order to communicate, they leave the burden on the deaf person to compensate and keep up. Designers of systems rarely consider the deaf person by providing visual indicators just like other systems that depend on visual cues that don’t provide audio cues as well. There are enough people that are either deaf or blind (or in some cases both) that designers should consider visual, tactile, and audio cues for all their system designs. How about you, what are your personal challenges as a deaf person?
So true! For products the smoke alarms are definitely a challenge unless you go on a specific assistive product website. I feel that smoke alarms in the general public stores should have lights and deeper tones for us deaf folks. I do have a full smoke alarm with strobe lights installed but even that is not perfect the batteries chirps and I cannot hear that at all.

Most of the time, I do pretty well dealing with the public when communicating. However with the pandemic it's a little harder to randomly have a conversation without the ability to freely lipread people's lips due to its hidden behind masks. I'm all "I'm deaf! " and thumbs up and signing thank you!! That's it

I do remember being my own advocate when as a college art student. This teacher was doing an old fashioned slide show and had the curtains drawn and it was so dark that I could not see my interpreter so I had to request for some little light so they corrected it just fine. But yes, it's like "oh, wait a min, this person needs light to see in order to hear what's going on" It's a lot of reminding and speaking up for yourself. If I didn't know ASL I probably would not be as assertive student and would try to blend in and probably not get any information from that day at all.

And getting old videos to be captioned so I could take notes in order to take a test. All those things that are part of being a college students requires a lot of patience, creative thinking and communicating with the teacher and your support team in order to get all the resources that you need so you don't miss out.

Or how the teacher will ask the class to gather around at the table but I get kind of left out so I have to crawl my way in and the interpreter has to stand near the teacher in full view without her hands hurting other students heads! :lol: That was a major pet peeve of mind I suppose I needed to tell the teacher not to do that but I am sure they will forget.

That's all I can think of right now. :hmm:

Old Analog

The cashier once asked me" you can speak right?" I said yes but when, if I do, people think I can hear:gossip: I don't think I have a deaf accent, least haven't been told, how would I know?