"The Castle In My Mind"

Beautiful story and I love all the describing words you used! I love it!! Keep up your writing your awesome.

Hey Polly, thanks so much. That was sweet. I hope that this little story might reach into the hearts of the hearing people that see Deaf people as broken and help them to not be afraid to cross the bridge of understanding that separates us. :) thanks again.. Jeanie.. still chasin the dream for a better tomorrow for all.

wow... thats all i can say right now you emailed me to read this and i am so speechless but that was by far the most b eautiful story i have read in a while. your an amazing writier and i just cant event hink of what else to say. beautiful story well done.

wow... thats all i can say right now you emailed me to read this and i am so speechless but that was by far the most b eautiful story i have read in a while. your an amazing writier and i just cant event hink of what else to say. beautiful story well done.

Thanks so much...:bowlol::bowlol::bowlol::bowlol: I am not worthy!

Good story. Agree with comments re. beginning, could have drawn it out for dramatic tension but can SO sympathise with space constraints! (I am part of a flash fiction workshop, defined as a story which can be read in 15 minutes or less...)
BUT: I didn't think you needed last paragraph, your story was strong and got message over without it. Maybe you could take it out and re-use extra space/words for intro?

Good story. Agree with comments re. beginning, could have drawn it out for dramatic tension but can SO sympathise with space constraints! (I am part of a flash fiction workshop, defined as a story which can be read in 15 minutes or less...)
BUT: I didn't think you needed last paragraph, your story was strong and got message over without it. Maybe you could take it out and re-use extra space/words for intro?

Hi Mandy,,, I did a rewrite with a more descriptive beginning. I don't know where the post ended up,, lol.. :) thanks again.

I really like your story, DreamCatcher. Thanks for sharing it.
The one sentence that stood out to me the most in your story, and I quote,
is "They were obviously happier than I, and after all, why should being Deaf be synonymous with being broken?." I can really appreciate that thought.

Yes, why does being deaf have to be synonymous to being broken?
Even though we are cut off from communication, to a degree or 100%,
living in a hearing world, that doesn't mean we are "less then" in any
way, shape, or form. If people see us as broken, I figure it's either the
projection we give them by our own attitude, or it's simply some pre-
conceived idea they have. It's a idea that was born out of ignorance.

I don't look at life as "Us vs them," even though I know some deaf
people who do. I do believe we have to fight harder to obtain what
we want sometimes but we can do just as much, if not more than
the hearies do.

Keep writing DreamCatcher, your words are an inspiration to me.

Arizona Girl (Karen)

Dreamchaser,
What a lovely story. Your imagery is amazing--particularly when you write about how the little girl and her mother painted pictures in the air.
I am teaching a woman sign language right now--she is a teacher and is learning for a personal reason but she is so enthusiastic to learn all she can about deaf experiences. I hope you will allow me to share your story with her.
And to others on this thread, do you have recommendations for published or private poetry, short stories or essays that convey the Deaf experience for naive Hearing people? I f so and you were willing to pass them to me I'd be so grateful.

Back