Thanksgiving dinner - what to serve?

sallylou

Potterhead and Janeite
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the U.S., Thanksgiving day will be here soon. Lucky Canadians already had their day. What are you going to serve? What's your favorite dish? Got a recipe to share?

Here's a darling turkey to set the mood:

sallylou-albums-posted-picture5362-chiturkey.jpg

we are having:

scalloped corn
green bean casserole
turkey
mashed potatoes
stuffing
gravy of course

and some kind of pie, probably key lime because we are not really pumpkin fans

This how Newfies do:

Turkey
Salt beef
Stuffing
Potato
Corn
Cabbage
Carrot
Peas pudding
Figgy duff
Doughboys
Turnip
Baked beans
Buns
Gravy
Pickle onions
Pickle beets

Yum yum

My favorite thing to make for Thanksgiving: reservations!!

We will be going out for dinner to one of our favorite restaurants in Nags Head, "Owens," which has been a family-owned place since 1946.

Owens' Outer Banks Restaurant

SO, so, good, and a lot more variety on their Thanksgiving buffet than l'il ol' me could possibly prepare. A friend will be with us.

The only downside - no leftovers.

I will, at some point during the holiday season, make my favorite cranberry salad, which involves running cranberries, oranges, apples, and walnuts through a food processor, combining with sugar, and then pouring the mix into lemon Jello to set it. (Yes, this recipe dates from the '50's, how did you guess??) It is delicious, tangy-sweet, and a perfect accompaniment to turkey or other savory foods.

My mom used to make this for every Thankgiving and Christmas dinner for as long as I can remember, and I've carried on with it, except I no longer bother making a big dinner for just the two of us. But I'll make it at some point during the season, because it is SO good.

I'm still not sure what my Thanksgiving plans are, but no matter where I am, I will be smoking a turkey. Here's a pic of the turkey I smoked last Christmas. It was tres marvelieux!

Attachments

• smokedturkey.jpg
    smokedturkey.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 17
I'll be at my little sister's house and I will be having BBQ pork for thanksgiving. I'm thinking I will bake bundt cakes to take to her house.

My hubby will cook turkey. I really want my brother's girlfriend mashed califlower recipe instead of mashed potatoes. Healthier. The other stuff...probably green bean casserole, dinner rolls, and stuffing.

this post is making me very hungry..*giggle* I can taste the big juicey turkey already! :P

I wonder about a turkey,cranberry pizza, and a pumpkin souffle. Probably everyone would be outraged, but I would enjoy it.

We will be having thanksgiving at grandma's like every year... we will be having:

Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Green beans
Gravy
Cranberry sauce
Spaghetti squash
Yams in brownsugar-butter sauce
Butternut squash
Acorn squash
Garlic herbed knots
Pumpkin pie
Banana cream pie
Pecan pie
Apple pie
Apple cranberry pie
Sweet potato pie
And moreeee... my family loves to eat a lot.

I'm still not sure what my Thanksgiving plans are, but no matter where I am, I will be smoking a turkey. Here's a pic of the turkey I smoked last Christmas. It was tres marvelieux!

Ok so many things I could say about you smoking a turkey ... a reference about the surgeon general warning against such things, or it must take a BIG Bic to light up one of those babies, or where do you find an ashtray big enough to butt that bad boy out :shock: but ... I won't and I'll just say, it looks delicious. :)

Jalapeño Smoked Turkey
Grilled Jalapeños stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon
Mashed sweet potatoes covered with marshmallows
sweet potato casserole
Dressing (my secret recipe
deviled eggs
celery with cheese
cranberry sauce
green bean casserole (blech)
fruit salad
pasta salad
pumpkin pie
pecan pie

Dunno

Probably just a turkey, mashed potatoes (or baked potatoes, dunno yet), green bean casserole, corns (for me and kids cuz I don't like green beans casserole) rolls, pies/cakes (depend on the mood to bake) not sure what else at this moment. We probably stay home this year.

Cranberry pizza?

I have had salad made with turkey, cranberry, and apples. I was thinking it could be done as a pizza, but I am not sure what the sauce would be.

Edited to say, I just realized I must have put a comma where it didn't belong.

I meant the turkey pizza, with a bit of cranberries for accent.

Last edited:
It sounds like if it were mixed the cranberries and apple with mayo to spread out on the (cooked) bread/dough and shedders turkey on it? It sounds yummy. lol

That's a good idea of how to make it.

maybe the bread needs to be flavored a little almost same as stuffing. :hmm: lol but

i always put cranberry mixed with mayo then spreading on the turkey on the bun. its a turkey sandwich. i even put stuffing in it too. but pizza is a great ideA!

Back