Thanks or Thank you?

freckles

Reaction score
sometimes I wonder which's best way to thank ... or doesn't that matter?

i.e. - when someone opens then holds the door for you, let you walk pass - thank you or thanks?

for some reason I feel funny if I say 'thanks', thought 'thank you' would be more polite? hm, you tell me. :)

I think "thank you" is more formal and would use it if a stranger opened the door.

"Thanks" to a family member or friend.

Thank you shows more formality.

Thanks is usually used only around friends/family since its a slang.

.. and more heartfelt too?

the more I look into this, thank you, thank youuu, thanks, thanks!, thaaanks!, thanks..., every and each has a different character. :hmm:

the more you analyze the word, the more it looks funny when you say it too many times now. :lol:

I use both....guess it depends upon my mood. A smile is effective also.

.. and more heartfelt too?

the more I look into this, thank you, thank youuu, thanks, thanks!, thaaanks!, thanks..., every and each has a different character. :hmm:

the more you analyze the word, the more it looks funny when you say it too many times now. :lol:

It depends on the person's personality.

yup, most definitely.you mean...in SEE way? lol.

thank you and thanks in ASL are the same. :ty: (well, that icon looks like more of 'thanks!' but you type 'ty', that's thank you.) :P

Subtle differences in ASL. You can sign more formally. :)

if its a flirty word then "why thank you." lol

Thank you is more formal than thanks but i use both. it depends on what situation comes up.

I say danke or grazie

I always say thank you.

I think the only exception is when writing (like posting on here) I might say thanks just to keep it a little shorter/quicker.

I say grassy ass usually. *shrug*

I say both depends on the situ

I give my best grandma smile with full eye contact and head tilted. (I see you, and happily acknowledge your gracious gesture) It works for any language, any area, any ability. All have been returned with gracious nods and smiles. I have even had the occasional return head tilt and chin lead. (You are welcome - please - after you, ma'am)

Since most here do not sign and we now have multiple languages in our area of town this has worked very well for me. Or maybe its just a coping mechanism - it works.

So, I guess the answer to your question is that I give most everyone a well deserved formal thank you.

thank you everyone. :giggle:

except for jiro .. please re-read my title. :P

Back