[TGDN]:Atlanta's Emory University Hospital to receive patient infected with EBA

XBGMER

Reaction score
Emory University Hospital in Atlanta is set to receive a patient infected with the deadly Ebola disease currently sweeping through swaths of west Africa.

The patient is expected to arrive “within the next several days”, the university said in a statement. The exact date of arrival is not yet known. The university did not give the patient’s name.
Reuters is reporting that the patient is one of the two American humanitarian aid workers infected with Ebola while responding to the outbreak in Liberia. Dr Kent Brantly of Texas and Nancy Writebol, a missionary from North Carolina, have both showed signs of improvement, but remain in serious condition.
Source
Oh No! this actually reminds me of the Outbreak Movie and Carriers Movie.

I really doubt we're going to have an outbreak in the US. The doctors and the missionary were most likely infected from a breakdown of contamination protocol. Given the situations they were working in, I'm not surprised that happened. There are specific reasons that it is spreading so fast among the people of the various African countries that are infected. The biggest reason is poverty. People don't have the education of how to take care of people who are sick, they don't have the money to take care of them properly. The other reason is social. Many take their sick family members to local healers instead of the hospital and this is also partially poverty driven, because it's expensive to just get to a hospital let alone pay fees. They also insist on following typical funerary rituals which involve washing of the body and other things that involve physical contact with the body of an infected individual. This contact does not come with latex gloves and face masks, but it normal washing that splashes water onto people's faces and into their eyes nose and mouth. Speaking of water, lack of access to running water also increases the ability of this virus to spread because people can't wash their hands so they spread infection around, and this is due to poverty. I'm trying to find the stats on specific cities and how hard Ebola has hit them, because places like Monrovia (Liberia's capital) have one of the worst slums in the world. West Point is one of the biggest slums in Monrovia and there is so little running water that people go and crap on the beach and they leave it there.

There's little wonder as to how Ebola can flourish in places like this:

West-Air.jpg

And a close up. Both these photos are of West Point in Monrovia
MG_8521.jpg

It's really no wonder that diseases flourish when people are housed in such conditions and are hard to control. This by no means limits Ebola to these sorts of places, as it is found in the countryside as well. But it does give an idea of why it's been so hard to control on top of how people deal with sickness and death.

Back