texting and 911

birdlady

Reaction score
does anyone know if there is texting and 911, can you call from cell and text your problem..

Ive always wondered about this! It would be helpful. Let me know if you find anything out.

FCC May Allow You to Send Text Messages to 911 - ABC News

While texting 911 when an emergency arises seems like a grand idea (and the next logical step for 911), we have a way to go before this marriage between emergency response and technology is a reality. Look for a white paper from the TSAG in February 2011; this paper will present the recommendations of first responders regarding the kind of information they would want and need from a more digitally oriented 911 service.

allow you can text on police on text emergency my friends told me! text ton cellphone !

No, you can't text to 911. A while ago they system was upgraded to handle wireless calls more effectively but it does NOT have the ability to handle text messages.

Another problem with using text msgs in emergencies: They can't pinpoint your location like they could when you call them. When you call an emergency number your GPS becomes activated and transmits it's location. Also they can pinpoint you to a general area using cell tower locations but it isn't as accurate. Text messages just don't contain the necessary information for it to happen.

If you disagree, text 911 and post what the responds is.
However, there are probably numbers for local services that have an automatic text system but I doubt they are used as emergency services today.

As far as I know no systems exist at this point for texting 911. You can use relay, but it is time consuming. However any phone, even if on a data plan only, can call 911. The police are required to check on all 911 calls, and many will respond quickly if there is no voice on the other end as it can signify danger.

No, you can't text to 911. A while ago they system was upgraded to handle wireless calls more effectively but it does NOT have the ability to handle text messages.

Another problem with using text msgs in emergencies: They can't pinpoint your location like they could when you call them. When you call an emergency number your GPS becomes activated and transmits it's location. Also they can pinpoint you to a general area using cell tower locations but it isn't as accurate. Text messages just don't contain the necessary information for it to happen.

If you disagree, text 911 and post what the responds is.
However, there are probably numbers for local services that have an automatic text system but I doubt they are used as emergency services today.

I believe it someone emegency on deaf culture on text to celllphone text easy police know should be upgrade communication to require, can't hear because impossible!

Back