Tesla Model S with 4 new tires

deafsmogtech

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for taking long.... 2013 Tesla Model S P85 came in with flat rear tire last Tuesday as I mentioned in previous thread. The rear tires revealed exposed steel belts on the inners that indicated misalign front end that tires were rotated to the rear by another shop. We got 4 new Pirelli P-Zero Nero XL size: 245/35R21 tires. After mount new tires, I discovered 3 wheel rims were bend while balancing, looks no good, inform my manager about incident. Put them back on, torqued lug nuts. My manager ask me to take it for a spin to check the suspension for pulls or wanders, I told him I won't drive it without FOB because I afraid this car will stop on anywhere due to the vehicle's computer control security itself (I don't know anything). My mechanic took over my place to drive it, he asked me come on in as he laugh at me. I pick up smog jobs to pace up the vehicles.... in the meanwhile, mechanic pull this car onto the alignment rack, he came to me ( I stand by the smog machine). He says to me like whoa, this car is very powerful and torquey. I think he tease me something but serious. He says smooth ride (with whoppy wheel rims). We see the air bags in the rear suspension, no worry about the bend wheel rims. He adjust the front ends just toe-in...The cost of new tires, mount/balance, alignment, tire disposal fee plus tax that we bill to customer is $1,768.35. What do you think? Overprice? Cheapest?

What is FOB? Why you afraid of computer control security? You are mechanic and you can learn how to use it quick.

Yep, Most electric vehicles always faster than gasoline motor. Also I learned that most electric vehicles have single gear for transmission.

zero.jpg

My good friend from NY and he tried Zero motorcycle and he said handle and body feels like 250cc and acceleration feels like over 1200cc.

FOB is a keyless entry system.

this is what my condo FOB key is like -

3916_0_Web.jpg

$1,768.35 is overpriced.

Four brand new sport tires for around $800 and $900 for tire balance and alignment? My old job auto shop cost around $120 for tire balance and alignment.

I pick up RO paper with FOB, hop in a Tesla, place it on the console as I do in other vehicle, move it to another location of gas station to park it. I return a FOB along with RO paper to the service dept. Customer ok to new tires, he took his FOB home, leave a Tesla on the lot. Manager wants this car move in the shop at the end of day, I ask him where is FOB? He say like oh I forget to ask him but manager ask me to drive it, this Tesla still drive very small move without FOB. My mechanic took it for a spin, travel about 2 miles then return to the shop without stop or stall. Maybe customer disable theft mode before he leave home. :dunno:

$1,768.35 is overpriced.

Four brand new sport tires for around $800 and $900 for tire balance and alignment? My old job auto shop cost around $120 for tire balance and alignment.

This Tesla has about 10K miles on it as tires worn out. Overprice? How much you pay gas, tires, oil changes or filters on your vehicle in 10K miles maintenance? Tesla is cheapest maintenance ....customer came to pick up his Tesla, he looks happy with new tires....

This Tesla has about 10K miles on it as tires worn out. Overprice? How much you pay gas, tires, oil changes or filters on your vehicle in 10K miles maintenance? Tesla is cheapest maintenance ....customer came to pick up his Tesla, he looks happy with new tires....

You missed my point. Tire balance and alignment are around $120 for most shops and your shop cost Tesla owner $900 for just tire balance and alignment? That's rip off.

So you tried said that gasoline/diesel should be $200 for tire balance and alignment. So $900 for electric cars because of no gas, oil, filters, etc? That's silly.

I remembered My wife had old VW Rabbit and it cost around $250 for two brand new tires, tire balance, and alignment. 2003 VW Rabbit had around 80k miles. (Yes, she travel a lot for business.)

You missed my point. Tire balance and alignment are around $120 for most shops and your shop cost Tesla owner $900 for just tire balance and alignment? That's rip off.

So you tried said that gasoline/diesel should be $200 for tire balance and alignment. So $900 for electric cars because of no gas, oil, filters, etc? That's silly.

I remembered My wife had old VW Rabbit and it cost around $250 for two brand new tires, tire balance, and alignment. 2003 VW Rabbit had around 80k miles. (Yes, she travel a lot for business.)

maybe it's different for Tesla. special handling... :dunno:

Here is: Mount/Balance..............$140
Alignment.....................$129.95
4 Pirelli tires...............$1,380.00
Tire Disposal fee...............$8.00
State tax..................... $110.40
For big diameter like 20 inches or more wheels, charge extra....I don't like to handle big wheels, hard to wrestle them. U know I am.....

Here is: Mount/Balance..............$140

Alignment.....................$129.95

4 Pirelli tires...............$1,380.00

Tire Disposal fee...............$8.00

State tax..................... $110.40

For big diameter like 20 inches or more wheels, charge extra....I don't like to handle big wheels, hard to wrestle them. U know I am.....

Much better!!! Price is almost right for shop.wow tire balance almost double price than my old job shop.

Why you don't said so?

Wow $345 for each tire. It's almost same price for semi truck's tire!

Ah. I called it Smart Key.

Mine looks like that.

82752808.jpg
Just press dashboard's button to start engine.

Bow down before my super sleek, hi-tech key fob! It comes standard with low quality plastic, four functions and almost zero range on a fresh battery.
4-button-remote-key-fob-case-shell-pad-for.jpg

Bow down before my super sleek, hi-tech key fob! It comes standard with low quality plastic, four functions and almost zero range on a fresh battery.
4-button-remote-key-fob-case-shell-pad-for.jpg

Try replace the new remote? Sometime it got worn out or drop too much cause antenna crack and weak range.

Overpriced? Nope, rich people don't care if it is overpriced. They don't want details, just the total balance due, write check and get over with it. They don't know or understand the details.

What kind of customers do you expect that can afford $80K car?

Much better!!! Price is almost right for shop.wow tire balance almost double price than my old job shop.

Why you don't said so?

Wow $345 for each tire. It's almost same price for semi truck's tire!

Smart key and FOB is not exact same thing, Smartkey sends out commands like lock, unlock, start, stop. FOB on other hand just send transmitter that you are the owner and present to take command of a car, that is all. When you have FOB in your pocket, you don't take it out, you leave it there and get in car, press the start/stop button then you go. That is FOB.

Ah. I called it Smart Key.

Mine looks like that.

82752808.jpg
Just press dashboard's button to start engine.

Overpriced? Nope, rich people don't care if it is overpriced. They don't want details, just the total balance due, write check and get over with it. They don't know or understand the details.

What kind of customers do you expect that can afford $80K car?

rich people are rich because they are smart with money.

Smart key and FOB is not exact same thing, Smartkey sends out commands like lock, unlock, start, stop. FOB on other hand just send transmitter that you are the owner and present to take command of a car, that is all. When you have FOB in your pocket, you don't take it out, you leave it there and get in car, press the start/stop button then you go. That is FOB.

really? so basically... it's a "keyless entry remote"

Back