Terp with a service dog?

OpheliaSpeaks

Reaction score
So here's an interesting question for you. Have you ever had an interpreter who had a service dog? I'm making my way through an ITP right now and planning to do some work as a qualified interpreter when I graduate. I am on the waiting list for a service dog that should be ready for me right around the time I start working in the community. The dog will be training for some sound response, balance/stability support and medical alert, as well as retrieval of objects.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had an interpreter who relied on a service dog and perhaps the client should be aware of this before I show up at an assignment?

I've never heard of or seen a terp with a service dog, but I don't see why it would be a big deal. The client shouldn't have to be informed any more than anyone else wherever you go. Since the dog is being used for balance issues I assume he or she will be rather large, so people might claim there's not enough room for the dog, or they are scared of the dog, etc - all of which have been repeatedly shown as invalid by the ADA as reasons for banishing a service dog.

I don't think it would be a problem in the slightest.

I've never heard of or seen a terp with a service dog, but I don't see why it would be a big deal. The client shouldn't have to be informed any more than anyone else wherever you go. Since the dog is being used for balance issues I assume he or she will be rather large, so people might claim there's not enough room for the dog, or they are scared of the dog, etc - all of which have been repeatedly shown as invalid by the ADA as reasons for banishing a service dog.

I don't think it would be a problem in the slightest.

Thanks, Etoile! I guess my concern was that since the appointment or assignment was for the Deaf individual, I wouldn't want the person to be uncomfortable. I do understand that people are afraid of dogs or don't like them. You are correct in that the dog will be rather large. I don't see it being an issue either, just looking for some feedback. The community here is very small so I am certain everyone will know in due time.

As a physician, I bring my service dog to work with me everyday. I encounter a wide variety of patients and families, some with fear and allergy issues. I typically begin the discussion by explaining what my SD does for me, his gentle nature, and ask if they mind him being present. I always keep him in a stay beside me, and he doesn't approach people unless given permission. When patients or families prefer him not to be present, I find a safe place close by to place him in a down stay and tether him for safety. In the 8+ years we've been together, I can count on one hand the number of times he's made people uncomfortable. I know it doesn't answer the question about being a terp with a dog, but being a "people" professional with a dog has some similarities regardless of the specific title.

Although your concern is certainly appropriate, I would caution you against the idea that you are there "for" the deaf consumer. You are there "for" the hearing consumer(s) as well! In some cases you are there "for" an organization or company that is promoting its interests. Although the deaf client is the person you have eye contact with most of the time, they are not necessarily the most important person in the room.

Which brings me to my next point: you have rights too. You are there, you are a human, and you deserve to get what you need, too. The idea that an interpreter is a machine, a ghost, or unimportant is harmful to the interpreter. As an example, if the room is freezing, you have a right to ask if the temperature can be adjusted. If one of your consumers says "oh I'm not cold, you'll be fine" you can explain that the cold is distracting, or it makes your fingers stiff, or anything else. Don't sacrifice your own comfort - or, in the case of a service dog, your needs - for the consumers!

My only concern would be that the dog would alert you to environmental sounds while interpreting and as a result you would be distracted and miss information. This could get very annoying for both the Deaf and the Hearing parties.

Back