Telephone

Uncanny

Reaction score
I need some advice working around this and thought to ask here, and many deaf people may be either unable, or uncomfortable, with using the phone.
I am a hearing person but low-verbal / mostly-nonverbal autistic. Using the phone is very difficult for me.
I try to be accommodating and provide both email and postal contact addresses, and specify this is my preferred contact method. I also make it clear I will not answer my phone, but there is an attached voicemail in which a caller can leave a detailed message and I can better respond - either by preparing a "script" of what to say when I do phone, along with having any paperwork that might be required ready, or I have a chance to call in in person or find a contact email and respond that way.
Despite this I've just received a nasty letter from a dental clinic I have been on the waiting list with for some time stating that they tried several times to contact me by phone (no message was left) and unless I contact them by phone by the 18th, I will be taken off the dental waiting list.
How do deaf people handle this phone demand? If you cannot use the phone, do people comply with an alternate method? How do you make this clear? What do you do?
I intend to go into the clinic in person and ask why they have behaved this way when I specified other methods of contact and why they are demanding phone and phone only, but it seems to me that because I can hear, they are dismissing the fact that I can hardly speak and insisting I use the phone, because I can.
Advice please? Experiences? Thoughts? How do deaf people work around these phone issues?

Have had this problem for years!...My method of contact is email only...and still having a problem today.

I have my own number through Sprint Relay, for text relay. That is how I make my phone calls, I call out using Sprint IP on the internet or as an app on my phone, and I give out my personal Sprint number for people to call me on. They can leave a message with the operator if I am unable to answer the call on my cell, and then I get an email with the message (I get emails for calls without messages too, just to inform me "this number tried to call"). I do occasionally run into people hanging up because they don't understand the relay system and think it may be spam or something.

Just recently, the other day, someone at Staples called me (because I filled out an application) and she was confused about the relay system. When I went in today for the interview, after explaining it to her a bit she understood better. She was saying it was weird, something she never experienced and was like "what's with the typing?" But she was real nice about it!

I second Sprint IP.

Basically, it allows you to text message in real time with hearing people on the phone. Your messages will be relayed through a relay operator, and the hearing person's messages will be transcribed for you.

I third sprint or other type of text IP relay. You didn't note where you are from so it may be different depending on your country. I use VRS relay even though I always specify that email or text means is my preferred method of communication. Yet.. some recruiters STILL say... "call me!".

cdmeggars- I've run into the same thing with VRS...they get confused when calling and have to leave a message etc. Sometimes after I explain it, they're cool with it (whether they then stay in touch is a whole other matter....sigh).

Any time there's a "middle person" for phone calls, the other end gets confused and don't want to deal with it haha.

I once called because I needed to reset the password for my 401k account, called through Sprint IP. Dude on the other end said he couldn't accept my call because of the "middle person" and was concerned about privacy (which I can understand). Insisted I call back using THEIR relay number. I went around in circles with this guy, insisting even if I called THEIR relay number, I'm still going to have to use Sprint! After a few rounds, he finally said "ok supervisor says I can take this call". It made no sense for me to use THEIR relay... like if I have to dial out to their relay number, well I use Sprint to dial out regardless so...???? oy that was one frustrating call! I can only imagine what the Sprint operator was thinking as this was taking place haha.

I run into the third party situation often too. Especially with my bank or health insurance. I totally get the privacy issues, but .... what other choices do we have ? Frustrating.

Got the same issues too. WE just try our best.

Yup have run into that too. Now I don't even bother using VRS to call in relation to at least password resets etc. Sometimes I can get away with just the automated system walkthrough (if I listen 348204 times) but it's still quite frustrating. With health care/doctors... I love the MyChart appt (both of mine use this)... MUCH easier to communicate with them through that.

I have a streamer pro which allows me to answer my phone calls BUT I also have severe severe anxiety and never do unless it's my mom or something lol. I ask people to txt me over call me or email even!

Back