Teen killed on my tracks...

prostock19

Reaction score
This happended on my tracks yesterday. I was working about 50 miles from it, but this is my normal route. The crew that was on it just got on about 6 to 7 miles earlier. I see kids walking that area all the time. Few hours later, I saw a guy walking down the middle of the tracks and I yelled at him.

http://www.wwlp.com/news2004/topstory.html?artID=353081

SPRINGFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS (WWLP) – Springfield police are investigating the death of an 18-year-old male who was struck by a train this afternoon. Sergeant John Delaney of the Springfield Police Department tells 22News a CSX train hit the teenager who was walking near the tracks in the Indian Orchard section just after 1:30 p.m. Sergeant Delaney says the teenager was walking home from the Springfield High School of Science and Technology when he cut across the tracks. The man was standing on a parallel set of tracks with his attention focused on the approaching train when another train came from behind striking him. The victim's name is being withheld pending notification of family.

Matt,
Its a shame how many of these deaths can be prevented. I think most people think trains are harmless. I know when I was a kid, I used to hang on railroad tracks all the time and go walking to other cities and stuff following the tracks. It was a lot of fun but I never realized how dangerous it was...My close friend Seth moved to Buffalo NY when were kids and I went up to see him. He too, liked to mess around on the tracks. A friend of his tried to jump a train and ended up losing his legs.

OMG Matt...

send you positive wishes and vibes.. I hope its hard if something crossed in your path when the death comes to.. Just try to think that their lives in better place and good hands.. like for I have few times to witness accidents.. saw sereve injuries and death.. it wasnt easy..
Take care my friend..
huggs

prostock19

You can tell the train company everywhere.... Why don't you throw my idea discussion.. Put 8 ft tall the fence all the way railway track to prevent everyone people tries access short cut...
For example.. I'm drawing picture

BEST PROTECTION SAFETY
To Prevent Children/Youths/Adults..
Will not able through short cut access to the railways.
*throw my suggestion box to you*

Attachments

• railways.gif
    railways.gif
    44.5 KB · Views: 14
oh gosh thats sad. It been hard on you Prostock since u saw that happened. Need to be caution alike Galaxy said.

I think as time goes by and the news media reports more and more train accidents due to walking on the tracks then there will be less accidents in the future and if there is a spike upwards in train accidents then will need to remind the general public from time to time.

Even if a fence was put up, kids are gonna be kids and when they are drawn to something that they like, they will go across the danger zone without any real awareness then something in their minds goes off that their father or their mother warned them about being on the train tracks then it is up to them to get off the tracks.

Fences are a good idea, not 100% effective but I am sure the train corporate companies are doing what they can do to cut down on the injury and the death rate.

Of course, if the man or one of the men who are one of the train hands on the train is able to stop in time then he will do all what he can do to stop the train if possible but there is no guarantee he will stop in time as the train has to carry a freight load which is well in excess of 1 ton or more.

Uh oh, that sucks! The freight train companies need to put up fences to prevent them crossing in the middle of the tracks or put in a big warning sign saying do not cross the tracks or walk on the tracks in big bold letters. They can cross where the street is. I know it's hard because many people ignore the warning and play dumb.

I have to go around (actually under) train tracks every day enroute to work. If I could go over them, it would be about a mile from home to work, but I'm not willing to cross a whole slew of tracks in the switching yard.

GalaxyAngel said:
prostock19

You can tell the train company everywhere.... Why don't you throw my idea discussion.. Put 8 ft tall the fence all the way railway track to prevent everyone people tries access short cut...
For example.. I'm drawing picture

BEST PROTECTION SAFETY
To Prevent Children/Youths/Adults..
Will not able through short cut access to the railways.
*throw my suggestion box to you*
that kid was 18 years old...he was old enough to know better than to get hit by a train.

Back