Technology challanged old guy looking for communication device suggestions.

Goshawk

Reaction score
Greetings,
I'm looking for something like a tablet that I can type messages into, and the message speaks to the other person. It would help, if it translated the other person's speech into a readable message on the tablet. I don't have a lot of coin to play with so even an older device that I can find on EBay would be just fine. This is for a guy I ended up dealing with while on patrol. He lives in his car, has been deaf from birth and never had a parent that cared enough to teach him to sign.
Any suggestions would be very helpful.

the only thing I would suggest is a smartphone like an Android phone as I think it has more access to a variety of speech to text apps such as "Goggle Live Transcribe" Or other apps like "Big Notes" for typing basic simple conversations. Plus access to email, the internet and such. Would need to be near a wi-fi hotspot though. And something to charge up the phone like a car charger.
for the google live transcribe app works on models that are • Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and up.

There are text to speech apps as well you just have to find ones that work.

All depends how technogy savvy the person is too. If the person never used a smartphone before then it might be a steep learning curve to use one.

If you're in the USA, go see the local state Department of Rehabilitation they might have access to potential tech for communication and job related needs.
https://www.hearingloss.org/hearing-help/financial-assistance/state-agenices/

other communication ideas

pen and paper
type on laptop computer
boogie board -check it out on amazon

hope that gives you something :)

It is not good for a deaf to never been given or taught how to communicate in someway, particularly signs.

The neglect of parent or parents etc dates back to the bad old days of deafmutes etc.

If you do use a application on a smart phone be sure of your internet traffic amount in data per month. It costs a certain amount of internet data for a number of things to a smart phone.

In Gaming for my time at home I deal with people from around the world and use google translate. You can speak into when cued to translate whatever spoken words into a language needed for the other person.

There is a application available that will translate by speech for android apple and computer

If I am not mistaken ALL windows computers have some form of speech recognizing for those who are handicapped or medically unable to type to a computer. Among other features such as changes to visual presenting on screen etc. I have not had to visit that part inside windows 7 control panel for a while prior to my eye surgery but for a time I relied on it.

There has to be a organization that can possibly house this car living person in some way. Ive spent a lifetime in tractor trailers that are built for that purpose and I would not want to live out of my tahoe however it's been refitted for that purpose if needed someday. Living out of a car in a progressively cruel Nation passing all sorts of anti loitering and parking or standing etc vs vehicles etc is not ideal.

Back