Teacher in the Special Education field for the Deaf?

yazmin

Reaction score
Hey..
Guys can you please tell me What are the steps to becoming a Teacher in the Special Education field for the Deaf?
waiting for your replies...

I would rather be in a Deaf school than being in the mainstream schools. Special Education suck.

So why would you want to make kids suffer if they can not tell you their needs of being d/Deaf kids, eh? You forced them to do what AGBell and other oral-only authorities want you to do that without any accommodations. You would turn your deaf ear on d/Deaf and hard of hearing kids. You don't know anything about what we had gone through in Special Education program. Pfffft. :(

Hey..
Guys can you please tell me What are the steps to becoming a Teacher in the Special Education field for the Deaf?
waiting for your replies...

For certification in my state, it would require a B.A. followed by a M.Ed., in a special education area: speech pathology, general studies, etc., and pass the state required certification test after having taught as a student teacher for a given period. (You really get nothing with a B.A. alone) The time required to teach as student will vary from state to state, so if you're interested, your best move is to make an appointment with the head of the program at the college your eyeing for guidance of what's required in your state.

Laura

Do you want to teach deaf children or specifically deaf children with additional needs?

There different kinds of certifications for teaching deaf children. Depending on some states, if you just get a special ed degree, you wont be qualified to teach deaf children. Have to be careful with that one.

Really you want us to do your leg work for you ? We really need to start listing a price for our services . Should it be by the hours or a flat rate?

Really you want us to do your leg work for you ? We really need to start listing a price for our services . Should it be by the hours or a flat rate?

I really would have liked to have AD 20 years ago when I decided to major in special ed thinking I would teach deaf children. Turned out to be the wrong degree. I got the wrong information from VR and the university...if I had AD, I would have asked the same question to be 100% sure.

What's wrong with asking people on the forum about this? He/she will get a better understanding about the requirements from the department head if they're serious about pursuing it, but there's no harm in asking about it.

Do you want to teach deaf children or specifically deaf children with additional needs?

There different kinds of certifications for teaching deaf children. Depending on some states, if you just get a special ed degree, you wont be qualified to teach deaf children. Have to be careful with that one.

I think it should be that way in ALL states.....And I think it should be the law that special ed teachers should not teach dhh or other low incidence disabilties. It's too easy for low incidence kids to fall through the cracks.

I think it should be that way in ALL states.....And I think it should be the law that special ed teachers should not teach dhh or other low incidence disabilties. It's too easy for low incidence kids to fall through the cracks.

So you think they'd be better off served by general Ed teachers with no special needs training?

So you think they'd be better off served by general Ed teachers with no special needs training?

No, what DD means that deaf students should be taught by teachers who have training in Deaf Ed. I have a BA in special ed.. there was almost nothing about deaf children except to put them in front of the class and make sure the light is good. my degree is worthless for making me qualified to teach deaf students. Special Ed teachers are mostly trained to teach kids with cognitive or behavior issues. Deaf children with no additional needs don't have either.

No, what DD means that deaf students should be taught by teachers who have training in Deaf Ed. I have a BA in special ed.. there was almost nothing about deaf children except to put them in front of the class and make sure the light is good. my degree is worthless for making me qualified to teach deaf students. Special Ed teachers are mostly trained to teach kids with cognitive or behavior issues. Deaf children with no additional needs don't have either.

hahahahahahahha......Lady, you know me all too well!!!!!! Exactly!

With all due respect, obviously it did "qualify" you to teach deaf students, or else you wouldn't be teaching.

There are deaf studies programs, and programs where you can focus your area of learning. I don't disagree that those who teach deaf students should have more specific training on the needs of deaf students. With that said, teachers with a Sp Ed credential are potentially more qualified than general Ed teachers because of their background.

With all due respect, obviously it did "qualify" you to teach deaf students, or else you wouldn't be teaching.

There are deaf studies programs, and programs where you can focus your area of learning. I don't disagree that those who teach deaf students should have more specific training on the needs of deaf students. With that said, teachers with a Sp Ed credential are potentially more qualified than general Ed teachers because of their background.

nope, I had to go back to get my Masters in Deaf Ed so I could get my certification in Deaf Ed.

Only marginly thou, because again it's very low incidence. You have the same issue with blind/ low vision and other low incidence conditions. You ALSO have the problem, where b/c they don't have the training to teach dhh kids,the kids don't respond well to the teaching methodologies,and as a result get lumped in with the low acheiver sped kids, and told they're never going to go to college or acheive academicly.

Only marginly thou, because again it's very low incidence. You have the same issue with blind/ low vision and other low incidence conditions. You ALSO have the problem, where b/c they don't have the training to teach dhh kids,the kids don't respond well to the teaching methodologies,and as a result get lumped in with the low acheiver sped kids, and told they're never going to go to college or acheive academicly.

Exactly. It is a shame. **shaking my head** I was upset with the teachers who don't know head or tail on how to teach us d/Deafies and HOH. They refused to listen to our needs and we had to struggled through all the grades, just because of AGBell or oral-only methods authorities. I had been demanding that I wanted to go into Deaf schools where ASL is signed and learned all the wonderful lessons with the ASL teachers, instead of oral-only method. :roll:

I disagreed with your part. Teachers with Special Education certification teach children with special needs. Teachers with Deaf Education certification are qualified enough to teach Deaf/HH children. Special Ed teachers are not qualified enough to teach Deaf/HH children. Period.

Exactly. It is a shame. **shaking my head** I was upset with the teachers who don't know head or tail on how to teach us d/Deafies and HOH. They refused to listen to our needs and we had to struggled through all the grades, just because of AGBell or oral-only methods authorities. I had been demanding that I wanted to go into Deaf schools where ASL is signed and learned all the wonderful lessons with the ASL teachers, instead of oral-only method. :roll:

Toni,did you get genral sped? That really is the biggest flaw. They thought that mainstreaming would bump up acheivemet with kids with disablities.....Granted its good that there's no longer say crippled childrens education.............but at the same time.....kids aren't getting the services and specialized education they need.

Back