tattooed terps

dzkris

Reaction score
maybe this question is silly, but what do you guys think about interpreters with visible tatoos on their arms or hands? do you think its ok or unprofessional???

It may appear unprofessional in some situations but personally, I think thats no reason to worry - visible tattoos can always be covered up by long sleeved shirts and so forth... I have had an interpreter with facial peircings and it didn't even cross my mind as unprofessional. Hope this helps! :)

well it not bothering me except for job interviews I would preferably them to dress professional but interpret for class or workshop would be fine, I had one interpret who always wear jog pant and t shirt all the time at high school.

thanks for the input so far. i just graduated college and i want more "hands-on" experience before i interpret, but i have a tatoo on my forearm. it says "anam cara". it's celtic for soul friend, and my best friend and i have it in the same place.
do you think it matters more for women than man, though?
i love my tatoo though!!!

If a tatoo or facial piercing shows while interpreting it is unprofessional because it is distracting. Also, the way the terp appears and behaves reflects on the image of the Deaf client. It shouldn't, and it is not fair, but that is the way it is. For example, suppose the Deaf client goes for a job interview at a business. The terp shows up too casually dressed, or with noticable piercings and tats. The job interviewer gets a negative vibe about the terp's appearance, and that can influence the interviewer about the Deaf applicant. No, it is not right, but it is a reality.

I don´t care what Interpreter have because I accept what he/she is.

I do not consider their "outside" look but good Interpreter with NO MISUNDERSTAND.

i have two tattooed arms and thier always covered and i plan on getting a 3rd one soon but thier also gonna be covered too cuz i won't show it and thier aboved the short sleeved areas so that helps me and i always will cover any parts i perfer to dress nice and professional and unless im in a area where its a very casual place then i ll dress casual but t shirt with a nice work shorts on a outside business thats it

I never had tattoo! but im wishes it but its really expensives!

my cousin have tattoo also but she can getting tattoo for it!

Sara Boyce

I argee!

Its very unprofessioal for interpreters to have tattos.
Being an interpreter myself, having tattos makes the interpreter look bad.
Interpreters should look professional, and not look like a slob.
Margie
Dir. of Communication Serivces
OCDAC

what does tattoos has to do with their job if they were hired first place? not because their boss were afraid of distraction on a deaf client or students.. unless they are that careful.. eventually the bosses had hired them because they has a better level of interperting in courses for the deaf student to be understood with lectures and all. who gives a fuck about tattoo!

as an employee of a big company, i do not have a problem with some terps that have the tattoos covered yet i dont know if i like the piercings on faces bec it wud bother me again because i was distracted with terp's nose piercing. i m so used to read people's lips... i couldnt help it. :(

it wud be cool not to have tattoos between fingers and elbows and of course faces. i m not keen with piercings on faces. so i can read the signs better. that is up to client's preference.

Professionally, an interpreter is not supposed to have tattoos or piercings (other than small, nondistracting earrings) in visible places. Of course, different clients have different thresholds of tolerance, and some deaf clients may tolerate interpreters having open, visible tattoos and earrings. The company I work for now, many employees have tattoos and piercings in all sorts of places (tongue, lips, eyebrow, nose, multiple ear piercings, etc... untypical for an Utahn company!) so that sort of interpreter would not stand out in a company like the one I work for. However, it is a good idea to be prudent with tattoos, placing them in places where they can be covered up in comfortable clothings, and to keep piercings to a minimum. I once had a male interpreter who had thick, heavy metal loops, soul patch on chin and a tattoo on the backside of his arm. It didn't really distract me. I like having interpreters who has their own individuality and personality, but again, not all deaf clients are like me.

Liebling, it is impossible to have an interpreter with 100% perfection. I'd trade in for an interpreter who can laugh at his/own misunderstandings with me than a perfect, übermensch interpreter with no sense of humour.

having a terp who has tats or piercings doesnt bother me -- i only care abt the terp's ability to TERP and their skill level on reading signs as well

I have several terps with tatttoos and body piercings (mostly tongue and ear lobes), they tend to keep their tats covered anyway (some of them have tat on shoulders or backs)...it does not bother me at all.

i dont mind when the interpreter wear a tattoo or any different kind of earrings... it is their business and not my mine... i never get a tattoo but someday i will get a tattoo and make look a real awesome tattoo...
my oldest daughter beg and want to have a some tattoo on her right above ankle ..... she and i talked a long hours with discusses about tattoo... she said mom, i have a all straight a's and b's report cards and she studie so hard to get pass her classes... so i decided let her get a tattoo and whatever she feel a happy what she want for become a dream come true in her lifes..... she is only 15 year old and she already sign up a college that she want to become a doctor ...
she begged and want me have a some tattoo ... i asked her why she want me get some a tattoo? she said she want me look" hottie mom " thats so sweet what she thought of me..... my second daughter is kind of jealous of her but i told her it is next year she will get a tattoo .. and she changed her minds and she dont want to get tattoo...thats her choice!
but i still proud of two girls no matter what ! I dont care what peoples think that my oldest daughter get a tattoo and too young for that but thats our choices!
i dont mind at all if the interpreter wear a tattoo and make sure any interpreter can sign language than any looks !

Fly Free said:
having a terp who has tats or piercings doesnt bother me -- i only care abt the terp's ability to TERP and their skill level on reading signs as well

Yes, I'm with you. Why should we worry about their "outside"?

kuifje75 said:
Liebling, it is impossible to have an interpreter with 100% perfection. I'd trade in for an interpreter who can laugh at his/own misunderstandings with me than a perfect, übermensch interpreter with no sense of humour.

Yes, we have no problem with interpreter who misunderstand us sometimes during simple conferences, parent evenings, etc but with court, lawyer, notary, agreement contract, etc. is a different. It's very very very important to be 100% prefect case everything goes wrong if there're one or two misunderstanding.

There're influence in Germany over interpreters, we demand 100% with no misunderstanding when there're important discussion like court, lawyer, notar, agreement contract etc.

Liebling:-))) said:
It's very very very important to be 100% prefect case everything goes wrong if there're one or two misunderstanding.

There're influence in Germany over interpreters, we demand 100% with no misunderstanding when there're important discussion like court, lawyer, notar, agreement contract etc.
I hate to tell you this but it is impossible for any terp to be 100% accurate 100% of the time. Why do you think professional terps are required to carry "malpractice" liability insurance?

I don't know of any profession that is 100% accurate all the time, and that includes doctors, judges, police, teachers, scientists, and stock brokers. Human beings are imperfect.

Back