Take your shoes off?

• Yes

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

Opal

Reaction score
Why do people invite guests to their home and then require that they take their shoes off to come into the house?

Do you consider it is rude to see a sign on door/window display saying "Take your shoe off please"

It don't bother me, as I used to respect to my late parent in law's to take my shoes off because of their beige carpet.

Until recently I went to deaf friend's house for the meetings, and we talked about her home, my member groups telling me they ignored her door sign, and walk in with their shoes on, and the host never told them off just grin and bear with it. I took mine off as I don't want to make a fuss, just for a few hours, anyway I was surprised they think it is very rude??

Their replies

"Do you think we are bunch of dirty people?"
"Of course we would using door mat to wipe our shoes before enter her house,......................"

My vote is Yes as I would take my shoe off.

Last edited:
I voted 'Yes'.
It is rude and impolite to not take your shoes off if you know the person you are visiting wishes it.

I have heard of folks setting up a basket by the door with those non-skid footies in it for guests to pull on over hose, socks, or bare feet.
That is a good idea.

I voted Yes.

Do you consider it is rude to see a sign on door/window display saying "Take your shoe off please"

No, I do not consider it as rude but respect the house owner's wish because it's their property, no matter what.

It don't bother me, as I used to respect to my late parent in law's to take my shoes off because of their beige carpet.

I have no problem to show my respect when they ask me to take my shoe off or read their sign front of the door or window.

Until recently I went to deaf friend's house for the meetings, and we talked about her home, my member groups telling me they ignored her door sign, and walk in with their shoes on, and the host never told them off just grin and bear with it. I took mine off as I don't want to make a fuss, just for a few hours, anyway I was surprised they think it is very rude??

Their replies

"Do you think we are bunch of dirty people?"
"Of course we would using door mat to wipe our shoes before enter her house,......................"

I am sorry to tell you that the people, who ignored the house owner's wish/rule is the one who are rude, ignorant and disrespectful. I am glad that they are not my friends... No offense, please.

Dear Abby recently did a column on the issue, but right now, I cannot find the article that she did about two months ago. But, I found one that is kind of funny.
DEAR ABBY: I have a neighbor who tells visitors to remove their shoes before entering because she has a light-colored carpet.
I, for one, don't like it. What should I do in this situation? -- WONDERING IN COLORADO

DEAR WONDERING: Either walk on your hands or stay home!
:D

I personally don't like doing it, but I will respect their wishes.

I would never tell my visitors to take off their shoes in my house. IMO, it is kind of impolite to ask them to do that.

DEAR WONDERING: Either walk on your hands or stay home!

LOL - next time if they are whinging about it, I would remember to tell them!!:rofl:

I vote yes. Respect their wishes. It's their house. It doesn't even bother me at all, if I ever see one sign that says " Take off your shoes, please ". That word " please " is somethin' we should respect their wishes. :)

Yes..I do take my shoes off when we got new carpet but now no. When we replace from carpet to hard wood floor, I will have to remind my kid and my hubby to take shoes off especially on raining days and snow days. I hate seeing dirts all over the carpet...and have to vacuum often uggghhhh... vacuuming isn't my favorite job! LOL! But I try to vacuum at least everyday.

I do take shoe off at someone's house if they request me to. Sometimes I asked politely and she/he was amazed how polite I am. :) I show respect. I know few friends' house don't mind with shoe on beside on wet days (rain and snow).

I cannot wait for hard wood floor!!! But it won't happen in a few years...that's OK! My hubby have allergies to many things...sooo that's the main reason we are eying on hard wood floor since we first moved in.

Yes..I do take my shoes off when we got new carpet but now no. When we replace from carpet to hard wood floor, I will have to remind my kid and my hubby to take shoes off especially on raining days and snow days. I hate seeing dirts all over the carpet...and have to vacuum often uggghhhh... vacuuming isn't my favorite job! LOL! But I try to vacuum at least everyday.

I do take shoe off at someone's house if they request me to. Sometimes I asked politely and she/he was amazed how polite I am. :) I show respect. I know few friends' house don't mind with shoe on beside on wet days (rain and snow).

I cannot wait for hard wood floor!!! But it won't happen in a few years...that's OK! My hubby have allergies to many things...sooo that's the main reason we are eying on hard wood floor since we first moved in.

Yes I know what you mean about carpet and wet weather. I don't have carpet in my house since 1999. I lovveeee it.... It's easy job to clean tiles, laimated wood and and marble floor than carpet.

Anyway, my boys were raised to know that they should take their shoes off in mud-room (cloak room) and use their bare feet or slipper. I have guests in my house, they know automatic that they took their shoes off due wet weather... sometimes they asked me if we have slipper replacement for them. No problem... I have few slippers for them... During hot weather, they sometimes took their shoes off automatic...

Vote OFF!! because Two rooms has bright white mix tan Rug! so Not want stain!

i vote yes
i takes shoes off in my sister house and my house too and of other houses with a respect

but if i wear it all the time it can be uncomfortable and can't wait to get them off :giggle:

we always take our shoes off in our country.. no shoe inside house

Well - what would you think if you see a DOG living inside the house, and the host telling you to take your shoes off before entering the house??

I would think their dog is more important than me !!

I voted "Yes", It's important to respect the person who owns the house with their rules that is applied.

I'm the same way, I inform my guests or remind them that their shoes needs to be taken off before walking in my living room, but if they are standing in the kitchen where the door is location at, I don't ask them to take their shoes off.

Well - what would you think if you see a DOG living inside the house, and the host telling you to take your shoes off before entering the house??

I would think their dog is more important than me !!

:hmm: we do not pet dog inside house traditionaly

When I go to someone's house, if they request I remove my shoes/sandals, then I do it politely without complaining.

However, I feel it would be rude of me to request my guests to remove their shoes at my house. If I invite someone into my house, I accept them as my guests, and try to make them as comfortable as possible. If they want to remove their shoes for their comfort, that's fine with me.

Some people might be embarrassed to remove their shoes (holey socks, dirty feet, whatever), so I certainly don't want to put them on the spot like that.

My guests are more important to me than my floors. I can clean up after they leave. :)

I voted yes as to respect the home owner who requested that shoes are not allowed inside.

we always take our shoes off in our country.. no shoe inside house

Yes it's same with me here in Germany...

That's why we don't bother to ask the guests to take their shoes off... They do it themselves automatic...

Back