Switched At Birth Question

SJCSue

Reaction score
The 9/21 episode (I think) showed Daphne trying to teach a deaf girl in Mexico a few signs. This aspect of the episode reminded so much of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet and Alice Cogswell. Did any else see the resemble?

Most of the hearing people especially the educators, doctors, and Alexander Graham Bell Foundation members focus on "fixing" them for hearing. Hearing is not necessary unless if a deaf child or adult can manage to hear sounds, but not understand words as hearing is not the same as hearing people who can hear 100% and clearly. This is the difference.

As for the girl who was or is profoundly deaf in both ears in the "Switched at Birth" episode. She has never been to the deaf school or mainstream schools at all. This is common in Mexico, Central America and possibly in South America (I think) because the government had not funded them to have their deaf education. But the young man who teach Mexican sign language will be able to help her to learn sign language but never show up after she had learned the "Dog" sign language because she love her dog. That was the only word she can learned from Daphne.

Like other children or adult in the episode, they were mainly focus on hearing with hearing aids. So hearing is no big thing to the d/Deaf people. They should all learn to sign their own language like Mexican sign language. That would be a big help to them. If the person ignore Mexican sign language, then that would be a bad thing for the child or children to be isolate without knowing what is going on in families and public eyes.

That is why we need sign languages all over the world. Mexico is not the only one who don't have special deaf schools beside the big city. Mexico City or Acapulco, Mexico (I think) have several Deaf schools that teach them Mexican sign language and their education in reading and writing including other subjects. So much of the rural d/Deaf children are not lucky not getting the education they need very badly. They were being left out and ignored by the society especially the government.

So hopefully they can have some change in their country to let the Deaf people learn their primary sign language. They are not alone. :(

Back