Swiss Speeder Faces $290,000 Fine

Loghead

Reaction score
ST. GALLEN, Switzerland - A Swiss court has slapped a wealthy speeder with a chalet-sized fine - a full $290,000.

Judges at the cantonal court in St. Gallen, in eastern Switzerland, based the record-breaking fine on the speeder's estimated wealth of over $20 million.

A statement on the court's Web site says the driver - a repeat offender - drove up to 57 km/hr faster than the 80 km/hr limit.

Court clerk Heidi Baumann-Becker said Thursday the unidentified driver can appeal the decision, handed down in November, to the Swiss supreme court.

The Blick daily newspaper in Zurich reported the fine was more than twice the previous Swiss record of about $107,000.

No, you do not own the road: Swiss court slaps millionaire with $290,000 speeding fine

How odd. They must base your fine on how much you make.

I honestly think a fine based on your wealth is an excellent idea! This comes out to $2900 for someone with $200,000 wealth. That's still a huge fine but he was speeding way, way above the limit. I think American courts should do the same and save prison sentences for felons.

I honestly think a fine based on your wealth is an excellent idea! This comes out to $2900 for someone with $200,000 wealth. That's still a huge fine but he was speeding way, way above the limit. I think American courts should do the same and save prison sentences for felons.

No way, I'm not interested to make wealth people to have hard time.

Just terrible idea that you made.

No way, I'm not interested to make wealth people to have hard time.

Just terrible idea that you made.

That would mean you are capitalist, which is a "right-winger" quality. Just thought you'd like to know. You seem more Republican than Democratic, which is what you claim to be.

Agreed! If you are speeding too far over the speed limit (such as 50 miles) then you should be ticketed according to your wealth. It would be unfair to ticket the same price to the guy who thinks he owns the road to the guy who drives a Buick.

Agreed! If you are speeding too far over the speed limit (such as 50 miles) then you should be ticketed according to your wealth. It would be unfair to ticket the same price to the guy who thinks he owns the road to the guy who drives a Buick.

I disagree.

However, there are many ways to conceal your wealth. :cool2:

That would mean you are capitalist, which is a "right-winger" quality. Just thought you'd like to know. You seem more Republican than Democratic, which is what you claim to be.

You are right about I'm capitalist and more side with republican than democrat, even majority of my families are republican.

I don't support anything that against on wealthy people, even there's wealthy people who own business, especially small or medium businesses so I don't want them to be suffer from anything that has done to damage them, that is just my views and thanks to god that don't happen to our country.

OK: So let's say you're driving down the highway doing 50 km/h above the speed limit. The guy next to you is doing the same speed. He makes over $2 million a year, and you make barely $50,000 a year. You both get pulled over, and you both end up paying a $150 speeding ticket. You can't afford another one, so you drive the set speed. The other driver, who makes $2 million a year, speeds off doing 50 km/h again. Why? Because he can afford it. There's no motivation for him not to speed. He's likely to kill somebody before he learns to slow down. If he knows that he's going to get a $150 ticket a couple times a month for speeding, that's not enough motivation considering he probably makes $150,000 a month. It's not worth it to him to not speed.

Does anyone understand what I mean now?

You are right about I'm capitalist and more side with republican than democrat, even majority of my families are republican.

I don't support anything that against on wealthy people, even there's wealthy people who own business, especially small or medium businesses so I don't want them to be suffer from anything that has done to damage them, that is just my views and thanks to god that don't happen to our country.

lol wtf? But if you're a low-income person.... the current fines will hurt you anyway while that same fines is like a penny to rich people. Point is - the rich people would get hurt EXACTLY same as the poor people. If you don't want the rich people to suffer from this, simple - OBEY THE LAWS!!!!

this concept has NOTHING to do with political ideology or capitalism.

thats too high of a fine...very lousy idea ever.

too high of a fine? If you speed in excess of 25 mph, the fines is most likely $200+ for you plus court date (sometimes not). That is obviously a high fine for you... but do you think this is too high for rich people? :roll:

I disagree.

However, there are many ways to conceal your wealth. :cool2:

true but then - when you own expensive car, nice mansion, lives in ritzy area... You most likely have at least 5-6 figures in your bank account. You will still pay $$$$$ fines that will put a disgusted expression on your face.

OK: So let's say you're driving down the highway doing 50 km/h above the speed limit. The guy next to you is doing the same speed. He makes over $2 million a year, and you make barely $50,000 a year. You both get pulled over, and you both end up paying a $150 speeding ticket. You can't afford another one, so you drive the set speed. The other driver, who makes $2 million a year, speeds off doing 50 km/h again. Why? Because he can afford it. There's no motivation for him not to speed. He's likely to kill somebody before he learns to slow down. If he knows that he's going to get a $150 ticket a couple times a month for speeding, that's not enough motivation considering he probably makes $150,000 a month. It's not worth it to him to not speed.

I completely understand. And I still disagree.

Speeders aren't our concern (in Colorado) It's the people who try to get ahead of traffic swerving between cars.
The people who speed around 1 or 2 cars are more likely to hurt their selves before hurting other people. (Look at Mr. Hogan.)

That is also part of the reason I have been pulled over for 96mph in 55. 84 in 55 (Several times) 44+ in 25.. And getting away with it. Oh speaking of which, let me get something onto photobucket...

IMG000032.jpg

IMG000033.jpg

I don't care, fine should be based on fixed price, depends on violation and there's low income does commit violation so repeat.

Best way to suspend the license or face jail time, I doubtfully wealthy people would like their life in jail, also face jail time would losing the good job either, except if you are celebs that would run a big embarrassment.

There's people does make mistake to cause violation, especially speeding when they don't pay attention to speed clock like I did before.

Look at Jiro's post, your comment is totally unnecessary about capitalist and political stuff. :roll:

I'm speaking my own opinion.

I completely understand. And I still disagree.

Speeders aren't our concern (in Colorado) It's the people who try to get ahead of traffic swerving between cars.
The people who speed around 1 or 2 cars are more likely to hurt their selves before hurting other people. (Look at Mr. Hogan.)

That is also part of the reason I have been pulled over for 96mph in 55. 84 in 55 (Several times) 44+ in 25.. And getting away with it. Oh speaking of which, let me get something onto photobucket...

I got pulled for 95 mph in 70 mph zone in last summer so got verbal warning but no ticket, I was just don't pay attention to clock and focus on road so hard.

Even, I had felt that truck was still 70-80 mph but oh well.

Basing fines and punishment on someone's wealth is an idiotic idea. I agree with proportionate tax rates, but when it comes to punishment, everyone should be treated equally, regardless of how much money they earn or how they earn their money.

Traffic violations are still part of the criminal justice system, and our criminal justice system guarantees equal treatment to all.

Basing fines and punishment on someone's wealth is an idiotic idea. I agree with proportionate tax rates, but when it comes to punishment, everyone should be treated equally, regardless of how much money they earn or how they earn their money.

Traffic violations are still part of the criminal justice system, and our criminal justice system guarantees equal treatment to all.

equal treatment? makes you wonder why rich people get the pass when the underprivileged people don't.... especially DUI cases

Back