Swearing and Cussing?

Lately, I've been seeing an increase in swearing and cussing in the forums.

While we do practice freedom of speech, the forums are like the real world... respect of others.

In the real world, do we swear at every person we meet? Do we swear in every conversation we have with others? No.

So, please refrain from swearing constantly.

When swearing and cussing is done constantly in threads, that's almost like trolling, flaming, and provoking others to getting involved... which is against AllDeaf rules.

Please use common sense when swearing and using vulgar language.

Thanks.

I agree with you! But what about that Adult smilies that have some swearing / cussing / sex??? Since the kids under 18 could be reading all forums on All Deaf. I am just wondering if All Deaf have block the swearing / cussing to the kids if the kids under 18 signed up??

What about ficticious swear words from sci-fi TV shows?

Like frell (Farscape), frak (Battlestar Galatica), tsway niou (Firefly) or ghuy'cha' (Star Trek TNG klingon)

I can understand if you ban/suspend me for using them here, I was only demonstrating them. I only wanted to see if you'll cover this area as well.

What about ficticious swear words from sci-fi TV shows?

Like frell (Farscape), frak (Battlestar Galatica), tsway niou (Firefly) or ghuy'cha' (Star Trek TNG klingon)

I can understand if you ban/suspend me for using them here, I was only demonstrating them. I only wanted to see if you'll cover this area as well.

you went off topic wer are not talking about tv or something we are talking about swearing IN here in the forum thanks...

you went off topic wer are not talking about tv or something we are talking about swearing IN here in the forum thanks...

I thought it was on-topic. The reason why I brought it up is because people could use that in the same way people mask swearing by using symbols or asteriks to cover up the majority of the swear words.

The OP stated "...we do practice freedom of speech..." however perhaps the intent was for a more civil discourse rather than one with a touch of swearing/masked swearing/fictious swear words.

Only if anyone use cussing in good way. Then it's fine.

For example..

Good
"That's fucking awesome phone you have!"

Bad
"lol... fuck you, go back to school!"

In my last chatroom I belonged to eons ago the bad word was automatically replaced w/ whatever the mod's designated it to be replaced w/......so when the post went live, the readers did not see the bad word. For example. 'Hey, Bitch, fuck off' would read 'Hey, banana, apple off' The rplacment word would be whatever the mod designated.

^^ yeah, like other forum I've freque to automatically elimates profanity into asterisks (***).

I thought it was on-topic. The reason why I brought it up is because people could use that in the same way people mask swearing by using symbols or asteriks to cover up the majority of the swear words.

The OP stated "...we do practice freedom of speech..." however perhaps the intent was for a more civil discourse rather than one with a touch of swearing/masked swearing/fictious swear words.

So? we dont use Battlestar, Klingon, etc type of language in here,
so you are not making any sense. We are talking about using dirty
words that is in plain English, got it?
We could use stuff like this %@!&* instead using actual dirty words,
like Freckles said.

{Mod's Edit - Previous Quote removed}

When I see signs like that to represent swearing, I always try (Involuntarily) to sound it out like a word. I never know what the word was supposed to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I see signs like that to represent swearing, I always try (Involuntarily) to sound it out like a word. I never know what the word was supposed to be.

what?

how could you not know what the word is? there are only so many options

when someone says, "%&!# YOU MOTHER%&!#ER!" your possibilities are limited.

also, it's hard to sound out bleeped-out words

what do you do? "percent-ampersand-exclamation-pound etc. etc." ?

what?

how could you not know what the word is? there are only so many options

when someone says, "%&!# YOU MOTHER%&!#ER!" your possibilities are limited.

also, it's hard to sound out bleeped-out words

what do you do? "percent-ampersand-exclamation-pound etc. etc." ?

Not exactly, but some weird brain scrambling thing, tries to make them have sound like a word.

I am not only deaf, but have another neurological glitch that makes me a very concrete thinker.

if you can turn "%&!#" into a legitimate curse word, i'll bake you a cake.

I can't do it. That is why I think people should just write the real word. (I do like cake though)

Vamp, I have a feeling your post just evolved from an initial request post to a no holds barred post. LOL

Actually, with due respect - It is still an on-topic discussion because it bears the issue of the profanity. :)

You have brought up an interesting question. Even though it is masked with symbols, asterisks or words that are slightly edited - It is still obvious and known to us. In the meantime, I'd suggest refraining from using these words until otherwise.

Personally, I wouldn't care if anyone uses the profanities. However, When a member gets to use it to an extreme, that is when things are thrown off the balance. It isn't really necessary to make a point to use profanities in every statement. It is all about using it in a moderation manner.

Well it doesn't make clear, is it okay if I use the swearing when I was expressing my experience, or use cussing words for good sense, or something?

Back