Survey Regarding Asl Literature -- Help!

Interpretrator

Crime fighter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I wonder if anyone here remembers me. :) I was formerly an interpreter, then became a teacher of English in ASL for deaf college students. Sadly illness and disability ended my career, and pretty much everything else in my life (except my darling husband!).

Since then I've tried to keep busy and interested in things from my bedroom, and last year I was thrilled to find a master's program in Gaelic Literature from University College, Cork, Ireland that is taught entirely online!

I'm writing my thesis now, which will examine the Irish language and its literature against its backdrop of oppression and prejudice, and compare that to Deaf culture and ASL which has quite a few direct parallels. I don't think this subject has ever been examined before so it's very exciting and I need your help, especially if you are a d/Deaf ASL user. I really need people's responses to this survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SignLit

I prefer deaf respondents to have some practical knowledge of ASL, but you don't have to know anything about ASL literature; I just want to capture people's feelings and thoughts about what it is or might be, and what it means to you. Hearing respondents should be at least proficient if not fluent in ASL; you can still do the survey if you aren't, but please be honest about your experience when you answer those questions.

Thanks for any help you can provide! I hope everyone is well and happy.

Cheers,
Interpretrator

Hi Interpretrator, long time no see! :wave:

I'm sorry that you've had an illness that's left you disabled and out of interpreting. I can empathize. Since I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease a few years ago I've had to quit interpreting also. Stuff like that is discouraging but like you I too have a darling husband who helps me thru the rough times.

That's an interesting project you have there, and I hope you get the responses you seek.

:)I remember you and am happy to see you on and see about your project! I'm sorry to read about your health issues. But the project seems very intriguing! My ASL knowledge is too poor to be useful but am curious to see what you discover:thumb:

Since I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease a few years ago I've had to quit interpreting also. Stuff like that is discouraging but like you I too have a darling husband who helps me thru the rough times.

Wow, Reba, a real OG poster! I'm so sorry to hear about the Parkinson's. It's a blow most people don't understand to be forced out of a job due to health reasons. There's all the "Gee I'd love to spend the whole day in bed all the time!" crew on my end and I'm sure you have your own versions! I am very glad you have that support, though.

My ASL knowledge is too poor to be useful but am curious to see what you discover:thumb:

Heya dogmom! Thanks for your kind words. I will be happy to post detailed results of the survey when I've gotten enough responses. Whenever that is, I'll post them in this thread.

Back