Surfing a dating site.

Carlos Ruiz

Reaction score
What can I say? I'm a deaf man. I just started to use a dating site for hearing people, see how it goes. I would like to know someone who succeeded to use it and give me some advice with some of you who got experience and know it works. What could you write about yourself knowing you are the only one deaf and then you caught attention to the opposite gender (especially women) and be excited to get to know about you? What Don't and Do should I apply for? And last, It would nice to hear your stories, experience about using an online dating and how it went. And it's very helpful! Gentlemen and ladies, please feel free to comment anything related to the topic. Thak you for sharing!

I have never used a dating site but I did date hearing guys, back when I was modorant hoh. At first they thought it was cool to date someone who couldn't hear well. But then I wanted them to learn asl.... it was to much work for them. I based my relationships off of that. If someone can't learn then why stay with them. One guy wasted 6 years of my life before he told me he had no intention of really learning or using asl around me.
So make sure she is not just onto the idea of being with a deaf man, but onto you.

It takes time and patience to learn asl. I asked what that sign was and they told me. It helps me learn new asl and improve chatting with other deaf people

I found my now fiancé through okcupid.com. We messaged back and forth and met up in real life about a week later. He had some other conversation with women in the website before me, but they never lead to anything more. He was upfront about being Deaf and using ASL to communicate in the first conversation. His profile stated he was Deaf as well. He didn't want to have a good time with someone online only to have them reject him after finding out he's Deaf. I think it was smart to be clear on that aspect from the beginning.

I recently finished reading the book "Modern Romance" by Aziz Ansari. From his scientific research, he says that dating sites and apps are good to meet new people. The best way to do it is to message people for a bit and then meet up in real life to see if you have chemistry. What people do wrong is message online for a long time without ever meeting them in real life, which is exhausting and leads to burnout.

So I say give it a shot! If your date doesn't know ASL, discuss how you'll communicate beforehand. I brought a laptop to my first date and we typed back and forth on it. I also had a list of questions ready to ask him about he Deaf experience saved on my phone, so that kept the conversation going. Good luck!! I hope you find someone that's interested and accepts all of you!

I recently finished reading the book "Modern Romance" by Aziz Ansari. From his scientific research, he says that dating sites and apps are good to meet new people. The best way to do it is to message people for a bit and then meet up in real life to see if you have chemistry. What people do wrong is message online for a long time without ever meeting them in real life, which is exhausting and leads to burnout.

i agree been there so many times! Im on okcubid, pof ect im upfront on my profile that im deaf as most is put off with it but i never had any interested or if i do it just a never-ending message but never meet. So given up on it

Back