Suggestions on Auto Insurance Comparisons?

adamlogan

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been with Statefarm for over 10 years now, and I've had enough. I've been a loyal customer and have a nearly spotless record (I've had 2 speeding tickets, that's it). I pay ~$130 / month for comprehensive. My insurance is going up rather than going down.

I need a cheaper car insurance. I would like suggestions for car insurance that provides middle of the road insurance at cheap prices.

I'd be interested in comparison websites, but am not finding it easy to find neutral websites.

Would appreciate your help, thanks.

I left state farm because I moved, but I couldn't afford full coverage with them, which was over $200/ month with no tickets ever and no accidents. I decided to just go with liability, towing and comprehensive (No collision) and I have my motorcycle listed under the same provider, so I get a discount for multi-vehicle.

Progressive isn't a bad insurance option, but I'd also like to know of a good comparison site.

I pay about $50/ month to insure a 2006 Ford Mustang GT, but if I have an accident by myself or cause one, I get nothing to buy a new car with, but I have had professional driving courses, so I'm confident in my ability to avoid an accident, but certainly not over-confident.

Can't wait until December when I turn 25, so my insurance premium will drop significntly.

What are you currently driving? How old are you?

Insurance companies come up with every possible excuse to increase everyone's rates....for example, if I lived one mile further north of where I am, my rates would be about 30% higher....all because the zip code up there has a higher incidence of crime-related claims.

What you drive makes a difference....a Mustang GT? They think you are going to race it and kill someone, so gotta pay up....even if you have a spotless record.

You need to shop around and get quotes. We had Nationwide, they doubled our rates after Hurricane Floyd farted through our area.

Increasing your deductible to $1K makes a big difference too.

If you also own your own house you could look into getting insurance from same company , some companies will give a discount on this.

Saavik, you must drive like a shark in water :), my friend Andy has that car. He once gunned up over a steep hill, then when a car got on our tail, he gunned it again, guess what it was a cop. The cop actually guffawed when he was retelling my friend how he gunned the car.

I am considering going bare metal on the insurance, seems like I might save more in the long run, i might be more feasible to set aside money automagically in the advent that an accident does happen. I mean, if it's a minor accident, I'm not going to tell my insurance agent if I can avoid it to avoid increase in rates.

Green427,

I drive a 2012 Prius C (in the interest of sustainability and saving some dough on gas) and I'm in my late 20's. My car and driver's license is from Oregon. I'm not sure if it's just Statefarm or all insurance providers in Oregon, but with State Farm at least, they implemented a state-wide 8% increase in automobile insurance for who knows what.

I've contacted them several times asking about plans and incentives to lower costs, the problem is I would have to be there in Oregon to implement them (like installing a micro chip in my car that tracks my "safe" driving activities) - which I'd really rather not do, but I'm desperate to bring down costs while still feeling like my investment is protected. I own my car scotch free - my name is the only one on the title.

I'm currently living and working in Rochester NY though. I'm considering becoming a NY resident so that I can change providers. Don't see how I could do that in Oregon unless I switch to an web based insurance company.

Whatdidyousay,
I don't own my own house, although I'm constantly checking out properties for sale. The thing is I still move around a lot and I'm not committed to living anywhere just yet. I like to travel too. I fantasize about homesteading someday though, and am currently learning skills towards those ends. But for now I'm living cheaply but richly by living with and being a member of a collective (similar to a co-op).

My friends tell me they use Geico… Their quotes seem reasonable at little over $50 which is better than my current bill. I'm just wary of joining a company that spends that much on advertising :shock:.

If you're looking for just the cheapest, go to Esurance. Personally, I use Geico and have been with them since I was 21. I pay around $75 a month for my motorcycle and car both with full coverage. ( I'm a 27 year old female with no tickets or violations ever. ) Honestly, with you having 2 speeding tickets, $125 is a godsend. I have a friend of mine who has 2 speeding tickets and pays $170 a month for MINIMUM! :shock:

Those prices are high to me ... Ive had state farm since 1990 when I started driving in high school with my own policy ... right now its $56.33 a month and I have liability, collision, comprehensive, towing and labor, extended rental and some other stuff I cant remember ... with a $100 deductible collision ... oh and medical payments, uninsured/under insured ... its about triple the minimum required by the state .... and I have never had any tickets or points on my license either but am certified with the NC Dept of Insurance and NC State Fire Marshals office as an emergency vehicle driver maybe that's why its so low i dont know :hmm:

Those prices are high to me ... Ive had state farm since 1990 when I started driving in high school with my own policy ... right now its $56.33 a month and I have liability, collision, comprehensive, towing and labor, extended rental and some other stuff I cant remember ... with a $100 deductible collision ... oh and medical payments, uninsured/under insured ... its about triple the minimum required by the state .... and I have never had any tickets or points on my license either but am certified with the NC Dept of Insurance and NC State Fire Marshals office as an emergency vehicle driver maybe that's why its so low i dont know :hmm:

Well Florida has higher insurance rates. :( I have all that fancy stuff on mine too, but like I said I pay much less than the average Floridian. :P Women pay less for insurance anyway. :P

Saavik, you must drive like a shark in water :)

I don't know what that means. Are you saying I drive aggressively? I have no accidents and no tickets, so if you are saying I'm an aggressive driver, I'm not sure what your basis for that is.

Only time I really speed is when I'm on super long road trips or on my motorcycle. I got through New Mexico, Arizona and a part of Nevada by speeding (95-100 in a 75) but normal driving, I'm defensive and go the speed limit, maybe pushing 5 over if everyone is flying by me.

I don't gun it or show off, I mean, who wants to see me gunning a car covered in over 2000 miles of salt and dirt?

Well Florida has higher insurance rates. :( I have all that fancy stuff on mine too, but like I said I pay much less than the average Floridian. :P Women pay less for insurance anyway. :P

Virginia rates are WAY cheaper than Nevada, so I switched my policy back to Virginia since my address is still officially a Virginia address and my car still has Virginia plates and registration. Being under 25, being female hasn't helped my rates at all.

Try some local places. One of my friends swore by Yale and they may still be relatively cheap.

I don't know what that means. Are you saying I drive aggressively? I have no accidents and no tickets, so if you are saying I'm an aggressive driver, I'm not sure what your basis for that is.

Only time I really speed is when I'm on super long road trips or on my motorcycle. I got through New Mexico, Arizona and a part of Nevada by speeding (95-100 in a 75) but normal driving, I'm defensive and go the speed limit, maybe pushing 5 over if everyone is flying by me.

I don't gun it or show off, I mean, who wants to see me gunning a car covered in over 2000 miles of salt and dirt?

Virginia rates are WAY cheaper than Nevada, so I switched my policy back to Virginia since my address is still officially a Virginia address and my car still has Virginia plates and registration. Being under 25, being female hasn't helped my rates at all.

Once you're over 25 you'll see a difference. Males definitely pay higher insurance rates most of the time, if you checked male when you were looking in Nevada I'm sure you'd see it would be more expensive. Not by a lot, but even just a little. So says my insurance company that explained to my 31 year old brother why his insurance was more expensive than mine. :twisted: :laugh2:

Excuse me for the belayed update. So apparently State farm was charging me extra for a period of time when I suspended my policy (I went to Honduras for 3 months scuba diving over the Summer). So my usual policy that was in upper $80's $90's went up to $130 or so for a few months. Still paying that much just for the privilege/protection of driving seems excessive to me.

So I switched to Geico and took the NYS Defensive Driver's course. My speeding records in the past are obsolete now too. So now I'm paying $47.39 for middle of the road coverage. I'm quite pleased.

depending on the state minimum mandatory coverage as well as your car loan requirements on insurance

I know my bank has an certain requirement for insurance to fiance my car. The state I lived in was cheaper insurance wise but the new state I live in now is so CRAZY it tripled my insurance rate because of manadtory unlimited coverage with medical something and something else.

I have Farm Bureu, liability on my truck runs me 40 a month and home owners is 134 every 3 months for triple the cost (f replacement/Loan amount)

I was with Farmers for a long time...moved back to Florida and switched to Progressive....rates went up and up...so now I'm with Geico...Liability only along w/road service runs about $55/month....They went up $1 a few months ago...and of course I raised hell...but nothing I could do....No tickets in 15 years....still I feel full coverage and all would make me pay thru the nose!...So I opted for Liability only and drive very little.

Back