Suggestions for 504/IEP

Sorry, but she does not need speech therapy. She ALREADY KNOWS how to speak and has prolly mastered everything already.......

Even though she already knows how to speak, her speech is going to change, and quickly. Speech therapy m,ight be a good idea.

OP, have you considered a cochlear implant? Your daughter would likely be a very good candidate.

Even though she already knows how to speak, her speech is going to change, and quickly. Speech therapy m,ight be a good idea.

OP, have you considered a cochlear implant? Your daughter would likely be a very good candidate.

Not necessarily, maybe if she had starting losing her hearing when she was much younger, but 17 is pretty damn long time to have been hearing and speaking. My loss started at age 20 in one ear, 25 in the other. I'm 38, in one hear I'm profound to no response, and profound in the other. And I have been for at least 2 years, and for at least a year of that I was wearing aids meant for severe loss, so I basically heard complete gibberish for year and mostly speech read. I still rely heavily on speech reading but the more powerful ha's give me enough speech cues that it makes it easier. Anyway.....I have never had speech therapy, my voice and speech are fine, I haven't forgotten how to form letters etc etc. without my ha's in I can't hear myself, but unlike some posters I can still tell how loud I'm talking. Honestly I have know idea people can't tell they're yelling, I don't know, it's just an awareness of projection.

I wouldn't jump right into speech therapy, it seems like she's going through enough adjustments at school, if her speech starts deteriorating then put it on the table.

Oh, and I totally agree about the implant!

An evalution might be a good idea,since ofc none of us really KNOW this student...but again speech therapy for mechanics/improving a deaf voice is EXTREMELY boring,and takes a hell of a lot of energy......Speech therapy CANNOT give a dhh kid a perfect "like hearing" voice.
even late deaf people often have deaf voices you know!

Currently she is not a candidate for a CI. The doctor said in a few years she will be, could be sooner depending on the rate of the hearing loss. Over the past year the loss started slow and then sped up. Waiting for her new hearing aids to come in to see where she is at (they are on back order).

They haven't started any speech therapy. The once a month part in the 504 is just to monitor her speech for now.

Right now the school is being a bunch of pain in the butts! First day of school and so much happened that I am now waiting on phone calls regarding how long an expedited IEP meeting should take to have the meeting. I know a regular one is 60 days but I was told an expedited one should happen sooner. A principal and someone from administration at two different times today said in so many words "she's faking it". Thank goodness another student heard it and said they were going to write down what they heard.

Just at a loss for words....

Currently she is not a candidate for a CI. The doctor said in a few years she will be, could be sooner depending on the rate of the hearing loss. Over the past year the loss started slow and then sped up. Waiting for her new hearing aids to come in to see where she is at (they are on back order).

Really? Maybe I'm confused about her loss, I was assuming when you said 122db and 88db you meant 122 db in one ear (which now that I think about seems odd I thought to audiogram only went down to 120, on my tests that I've seen it looked they only tested down to 110db I could be wrong) anyway that deaf deep as you can go profoundly deaf and 88db in the other, that's severe, and almost into profound. If that IS what you meant she doesn't have much hearing left to lose, I can't believe they don't think that's CI qualified, unless of course you meant something totally different when you said 122 and 88 db

Really? Maybe I'm confused about her loss, I was assuming when you said 122db and 88db you meant 122 db in one ear (which now that I think about seems odd I thought to audiogram only went down to 120, on my tests that I've seen it looked they only tested down to 110db I could be wrong) anyway that deaf deep as you can go profoundly deaf and 88db in the other, that's severe, and almost into profound. If that IS what you meant she doesn't have much hearing left to lose, I can't believe they don't think that's CI qualified, unless of course you meant something totally different when you said 122 and 88 db

:) That's right. 122db (right ear) 88db (left ear). Literally it shows off the chart on the bottom-not sure how they did that but that's what it shows. I think and I could be wrong they are just watching how progressive this is? I don't know. I do know they are doing another audiogram when the BTEs come in.

:) That's right. 122db (right ear) 88db (left ear). Literally it shows off the chart on the bottom-not sure how they did that but that's what it shows. I think and I could be wrong they are just watching how progressive this is? I don't know. I do know they are doing another audiogram when the BTEs come in.

I'm wondering if its because she still hasn't been fitted with the most powerful aids yet. They might want her to try powerful BTEs first to see if she gets speech out them. THEN if she still has low speech perception they'll put CI as an option in the table. Maybe....it was suggested to me after my last dip in hearing, before I got more powerful aids, I don't have insurance anyway though, it's possible still though if I'd pursued CI they might have wanted me to try these aids I have now first anyway.

So she hasn't even gotten BTEs yet? I guess that not surprising with how quickly she's losing it. Can I be nosey and ask if they know what caused it? Also do you know if it's bone conduction, nerve, it a mix?

I'm wondering if its because she still hasn't been fitted with the most powerful aids yet. They might want her to try powerful BTEs first to see if she gets speech out them. THEN if she still has low speech perception they'll put CI as an option in the table. Maybe....it was suggested to me after my last dip in hearing, before I got more powerful aids, I don't have insurance anyway though, it's possible still though if I'd pursued CI they might have wanted me to try these aids I have now first anyway.

So she hasn't even gotten BTEs yet? I guess that not surprising with how quickly she's losing it. Can I be nosey and ask if they know what caused it? Also do you know if it's bone conduction, nerve, it a mix?

No BTEs yet :( they are on back order. Hopefully within the next week or so. (fingers crossed) They do not know what caused it. They did a MRI and the results were that there were no findings - everything is normal.

They haven't started any speech therapy. The once a month part in the 504 is just to monitor her speech for now.

Right now the school is being a bunch of pain in the butts! First day of school and so much happened that I am now waiting on phone calls regarding how long an expedited IEP meeting should take to have the meeting. I know a regular one is 60 days but I was told an expedited one should happen sooner. A principal and someone from administration at two different times today said in so many words "she's faking it". Thank goodness another student heard it and said they were going to write down what they heard.

Just at a loss for words....

If it helps,over twenty years ago my school told my parents that I wasn't really dhh?!?!?! Are there other dhh kids at your daughter's school? Maybe you could network with them.......You REALLY need to sue the school....Kid's got an audiogram...this isn't a "designer" label so that your kid can get untimed tests....

?

Well since she has a potentially aidable ear,I think that's what they are doing.
Remember although there's limits as to how powerful an aid can be, everyone's hearing loss responds differently(and it does seem that severe losses can respond to aiding..still a lot of severe loss folks with aids who get a lot of use out of them)....although obviously her profound ear IS unaidable

If it helps,over twenty years ago my school told my parents that I wasn't really dhh?!?!?! Are there other dhh kids at your daughter's school? Maybe you could network with them.......You REALLY need to sue the school....Kid's got an audiogram...this isn't a "designer" label so that your kid can get untimed tests....

My daughter is the only dhh at her high school. Which makes her feel like she no longer fits. I sent an e-mail to the attorney from NAD that I've been in contact with. I have given them a copy of each audiogram she's had. Hoping she feels up to Deaf Chat tomorrow night.

My daughter is the only dhh at her high school. Which makes her feel like she no longer fits. I sent an e-mail to the attorney from NAD that I've been in contact with. I have given them a copy of each audiogram she's had. Hoping she feels up to Deaf Chat tomorrow night.

Awww....that SUCKS...and that answers the question.....they're CLUELESS about how to accomondate a dhh kid......Angers me SO much.Glad you're hooked up with NAD...that should really help you.

Awww....that SUCKS...and that answers the question.....they're CLUELESS about how to accomondate a dhh kid......Angers me SO much.Glad you're hooked up with NAD...that should really help you.

The school has said this is new for them. They try to use it as a sappy situation for them with her -with "It's just as new and hard for us as it is for you, we are all learning here." My daughter told them how wrong they were on that and of course was angry, she told them that she understands if they don't get it but to use her as a guinea pig....it's a hot mess. Yesterday, they mentioned sending her to a school that we have already said no too. We said no because that school wants to teach her MCE only and not ASL at all.

It will get better it's just going to take more time than necessary.

The school has said this is new for them. They try to use it as a sappy situation for them with her -with "It's just as new and hard for us as it is for you, we are all learning here." My daughter told them how wrong they were on that and of course was angry, she told them that she understands if they don't get it but to use her as a guinea pig....it's a hot mess. Yesterday, they mentioned sending her to a school that we have already said no too. We said no because that school wants to teach her MCE only and not ASL at all.

Hmmm............maybe she'll end up at RSD any way......

Why is that so bad? She is practically an adult who already has a command of English, MCE would be signed so she could grasp the concept of her studies more easily.

It's not as if she is a little kid learning language.

Why is that so bad? She is practically an adult who already has a command of English, MCE would be signed so she could grasp the concept of her studies more easily.

That is a very good point. She must be almost done with highschool correct? It takes years to get fluent in ASL. If she started learning ASL right now it would more help in college, she'd have a better grasp if it by then.

There is a lot more to the school which made us say no. Her class would be primarily developmentally disabled. My daughter doesn't have developmental problems. Their idea was just MCE- which would be fine if more people used it. I did ask if her primary class was MCE if they could still teach her ASL at some point (begin teaching her) their response was still no.

No she isn't a little kid learning the language and I don't expect her or anyone else to learn ASL over night.

Well since she has a potentially aidable ear,I think that's what they are doing.
Remember although there's limits as to how powerful an aid can be, everyone's hearing loss responds differently(and it does seem that severe losses can respond to aiding..still a lot of severe loss folks with aids who get a lot of use out of them)....although obviously her profound ear IS unaidable

Both ears are probably implantable. 88 db is still well within the candidate range.

There is a lot more to the school which made us say no. Her class would be primarily developmentally disabled. My daughter doesn't have developmental problems. Their idea was just MCE- which would be fine if more people used it. I did ask if her primary class was MCE if they could still teach her ASL at some point (begin teaching her) their response was still no.

No she isn't a little kid learning the language and I don't expect her or anyone else to learn ASL over night.

If she had an interpreter signing English, the words would line up and be the same as those she was hearing. ASL would require an entirely new language.

Back