Suggestion for current moderators

JClarke

AD Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I have been around and I have noticed a few emails swarming around the threads and some of us understand that it is a risk to display the emails in the full formula in the posts, where the search engines and other stuff that can detect them and use them for spams and all.

But to a small suggestion of mine, if the mods sees them in the thread, they could be edited to avoid the spam into a written formula such as jondoe at earth dot com (NOTE: this email is a fake) so it would be more safer for us from the spams, unless they are aware to take it to PM system or VM instead.

Doesn't matter if this thread is important, just an suggestion, mods. :)

What if the bots are more clever if they just read the source code in the background? :hmm:

As if you fill up the details on that link you provided, the bots would take these out of their website instead of here.... so that would be another point too.

Posting emails in the forum is your own risk.

There's always a risk when posting private information online.

So, if you want to avoid the risk... simply have people PM you for your email.

For instance, you want to start an email list for the Christmas Card Exchange. You can put yourself at risk and create a thread with something like this...

"Hey, let's do a Christmas Card Exchange thing for this year! Email me at bendover@iamdumb.com if you want to get involved!"

Or you can do something that doesn't put you at risk by doing something like this...

"Hey, let's do a Christmas Card Exchange thing for this year! PM me your email. Thanks!"

As for other people who come in and start posting their email address, then that's pretty much their own fault. Do you attend some deaf social event and go up to everyone saying... "Hey, my name is Ben Dover. Here's my email address... bendover@iamdumb.com!"

I was just only suggesting another option. Hmm. But Vampy, you have a valid point there since it is a public forum. Everyone is risking everything, eh.

And, there's one thing I don't like is when 2 ADers exchange their email addresses and then, mail Christmas cards to each other with their real home addresses - either one of them will tell other ADers their whereabouts when it is supposed to be confidential. Either one of them can fool and pretend to be someone's friend so that person can get someone's home address to tell someone else.

Who do I trust ? :cool:

And, there's one thing I don't like is when 2 ADers exchange their email addresses and then, mail Christmas cards to each other with their real home addresses - either one of them will tell other ADers their whereabouts when it is supposed to be confidential. Either one of them can fool and pretend to be someone's friend so that person can get someone's home address to tell someone else.

PM is fully confidental but trust can be the problem. The best way, if you don't trust an AD'er, don't do anything. But these things are on your own risk. Everyone takes risks and trust everyday.

LOL @ Ben Dover comment.

That is what Vampy pointed out. If you wish to exchange addresses with a certain member, you are also acknowledging that you are putting yourself at risk. You are the only one that makes the decision to give your address/email address out to the ones that you wish to do so. If you trust that person, fine but if you feel that you are not comfortable with it, then don't do it.

I know, sometime it can be easily fooled but if you use the best of your judgment then you can always rely on your institution to know if it is the right thing to do or not. Nobody should be the one that forces you into something that you are not comfortable with. You are the only one that makes the final decision.

LOL @ Ben Dover comment.

That is what Vampy pointed out. If you wish to exchange addresses with a certain member, you are also acknowledging that you are putting yourself at risk. You are the only one that makes the decision to give your address/email address out to the ones that you wish to do so. If you trust that person, fine but if you feel that you are not comfortable with it, then don't do it.

I know, sometime it can be easily fooled but if you use the best of your judgment then you can always rely on your institution to know if it is the right thing to do or not. Nobody should be the one that forces you into something that you are not comfortable with. You are the only one that makes the final decision.

Yes, it may take me a long time to get to know ADers that well before decidin' to give out. For one thing I know for certain is that I am followin' my instinct.

Yeah, I agree with Jolie. It is all about trust and risk.

PM is fully confidental but trust can be the problem. The best way, if you don't trust an AD'er, don't do anything. But these things are on your own risk. Everyone takes risks and trust everyday.

You are right about not do anythin', if I don't trust any ADer. It's hard to trust anyone nowdays.

Yeah, talking with them would be a good start and build the trust. It is just a way of building --- there is different ways to do that.

Yeah, talking with them would be a good start and build the trust. It is just a way of building --- there is different ways to do that.

Yep, Jake. Important of all is honesty. If, there's no honesty, then there's no trust.

That's something you should use your best judgment for.

I don't just open up and share my mailing address with everyone I meet online.

I prefer to wait and get to know that person.

If I feel comfortable with giving that person my mailing address, then I'll share it.

It's like those who ask to be my friend in MySpace or Facebook.

One time, a guy requested add me as his friend in Facebook. I asked him if I knew him. His response? "Yeah, remember a few months ago in NTID? I dropped my pen and you picked it up for me. I said, 'Thanks!' and you nodded before going your own way."

LOL @ Ben Dover comment.

I agree...I trust those whom I exchanged Christmas cards with last year. I was nervous about giving out my home addy last year but no problems at all! :)

That's something you should use your best judgment for.

I don't just open up and share my mailing address with everyone I meet online.

I prefer to wait and get to know that person.

If I feel comfortable with giving that person my mailing address, then I'll share it.

It's like those who ask to be my friend in MySpace or Facebook.

One time, a guy requested add me as his friend in Facebook. I asked him if I knew him. His response? "Yeah, remember a few months ago in NTID? I dropped my pen and you picked it up for me. I said, 'Thanks!' and you nodded before going your own way."

I refuse to add anyone whom I dont know to my Facebook or MySpace.

I accidently added someone that I thought I knew to my FB and she kept imming me using the FB chat feature. She started asking me about my husband's private parts! I was like "Where did I know u from?" She said that we had met in college so I asked her if she was deaf and she said "What the f*ck are u talking about? I am not f*cing deaf..that's insulting!" I knew that she lied about meeting me so I removed her. Oh boyeeee!

Back