subtitle player for smartphones

TWA

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey all, this is something that I'm curious about. I was wondering if anyone knows of an app for smartphones that can play subtitle files (.srt, .sub, .dfxp, etc. etc.). I'm not talking about a movie player that plays the movies with subtitles, but just a program that reads the .SRT file and then prints the dialog on the phone's screen.

My idea is that when my hearing friends want to go see a movie that is not available with captions, or if I don't want to wait two weeks after the premiere to see a movie, I can download the subtitle file and then play it on my phone and position it so I can read the subtitles and watch the movie at the same time--sort of the same way RW works. I know this wouldn't be ideal, but it would definitely be better than nothing.

Ideally, I'd like this to be available for Symbian OS, though I would consider getting an Android or iPhone if there were something available for these.

Any ideas?

I can't imagine that this would be a difficult program to create. I might even go to an open source BB and ask if it could be custom made.

Re-inventing the wheel?

Hi TWA

I fully get what you are trying to do. I have some programming experience but not yet in phones. However, as a work-around, the first thing that comes to mind to fulfill your needs here, without the need for bespoke software, is to make your own video the length of the film (or more). This will be just a black background for the entire movie. and add the downloaded subtitle file to the same folder this 'blank' movie is in on your phone (same name as your movie) then any generic smart phone movie player (for your device) will play the movie and the subtitles for you.

If it was me, I'd make the film length 3 hours, then you could use the same movie over and over for any film, just drop in a new .srt file and rename the movie the same as your srt file and away you go.

There is a list here of free editing suites you can do this with:
18 Best Video Editing Software For Free Download (Windows)

Hope that is of help TWA :wave:

Hi TWA

I fully get what you are trying to do. I have some programming experience but not yet in phones. However, as a work-around, the first thing that comes to mind to fulfill your needs here, without the need for bespoke software, is to make your own video the length of the film (or more). This will be just a black background for the entire movie. and add the downloaded subtitle file to the same folder this 'blank' movie is in on your phone (same name as your movie) then any generic smart phone movie player (for your device) will play the movie and the subtitles for you.

If it was me, I'd make the film length 3 hours, then you could use the same movie over and over for any film, just drop in a new .srt file and rename the movie the same as your srt file and away you go.

There is a list here of free editing suites you can do this with:
18 Best Video Editing Software For Free Download (Windows)

Hope that is of help TWA :wave:

Now that is smart.. good idea. It's a 2-year-old post though.

Old post but if you're still looking "Subtitles" is great but you need to download what you want to watch before you loose wifi or cell coverage. orange app button with white speech bubble. Different languages too!

I have an android phone and came across this app called GMT subtitles which looks at your videos in your phone and search for compatible subtitles. You pick one and hit play...the video plays with subtitles! How cool is that? Keep in mind Im talking about movies that you download.

Back