Stupid Traffic Tickets

prostock19

Reaction score
Anyone ever get a traffic ticket for the most rediculous things?? I did during Brickfest weekend. I was at the intersection of West Henrietta and Lehigh Station when the light turned green. I went, thinking it was for me, since that is how the lights in RI work. Well, a Sheriff 2 cars behind me turned on his lights and sirens and started weaving in and out of traffic. I thought he was on his way to a big emergency. He pulled me over. I really didn't know what I was being pulled over for. Anyways, after he told me and I reviewed the intersection, I realized. Now, being a police dispatcher, I figured that he would only give me a warning because I am from out of town and I mentioned that I was a police dispatcher back home. He gave me a ticket. NY tickets don't list the fine, you have to mail them in and they mail you the fine. Anyways, I wrote Guilty with Explanation, wrote a letter about being confused with the area, having a good driving record, etc, etc. I got the results in the mail today. I was...grrrrrr. $75 fine and $55 surcharge. I was like WTF. The cops from my work all think 1) The cop was a jerk for giving me a ticket for that and 2) That the letter I wrote should have gotten my ticket dismissed. UGH. I am going to call Monday and see if I can appeal the decision. UGH...MY VENT!!!

I wonder what they mean when they say ignorance of the law is no excuse? Not to rub it in or anything, Prostock....... :mrgreen:

I know how you feel there , I got pulled over for running through the yellow light, and the police officer who pulled me over said that I should have prepare to stop instead of driving through the yellow light and I said " I thought the yellow light means caution and the red light means stop " :ugh: anyways he wrote me up a ticket and I had to pay 55.00 dollars fine :squint:

I did told the police officer that I never had a ticket before, and my driver record is good, he said if I had let you go with a warning then others will keep driving thru the yellow light... It don't make no sense cause others still do so have I from time to time, this is the first time I ever got pulled over for driving thru a yellow light... :ugh:

Sheesh!!! should NEVER put in guilty!!!! That only gives them enough power to ignore any of your complaint. You said your guilty, so therefore end of discussion. That is how they view it! Well too late now, but my advice, always put in NOT guilty if your sure that you didn't meant to, and was confused. If your truly guilty, sometimes it is best to put NOT Guilty, because it DOES have consequence that you don't want to deal. Then make sure you check the box that says something with end as "Deposit" I forgot what the first word was, but I know it ends with "Deposit". because with this box checked, the cops is REQUIRE to write and submit copy of the report to you BEFORE the hearing. If Cops fails to submit you the report and you requested the (Whatever) deposit. You walk away from the judge as not guilty and charges is dropped automatically!
Sorry, I know the system and how to play games with them, been there several times. :-D

Im sorry this had happened to you, and I hate cops! They all are good just for drinking coffee and eating fatty donuts.

Just word of caution, beginning last March (NYS law just passed), that if anyone of you get the third moving violation in any way WITHIN 18 months, EXPECT to pay surcharge of about 100 dollars each year for three years (From DMV, total of 300 dollars) on top of the first fine that u may have to pay. For example, if you were found guilty of this violation, and court says you have to pay 150 dollars fine. Then in few months later DMV will send you another bill for 100 dollars, then 1 year later, second bill will come to you from DMV, and the third, final one will come in a year after 2nd one. This SUCKS!!! So, this is your fair warning for New York state residents.

let's see now first ticket i got was speeding ofc i was being rushy but not relizing i had gone past the 35 mph cuz i was trying to get my old truck up the hill towards the next signal and i didn't relize i had gone over the speed limit sheesh on me so got 37 bucks fine and community service pau that...

2nd ticket i got was failure to show proof of insurance the dog ate it litterly ugh so i had to replace that so that was dismissed

3rd time was waived i ran a stop sign cuz my partner was showing me what next street to go to turn right on and i inadervently ran the stop sign IN FRONT OF THE COP and i was like OH FUCK! so i said shit shit told kristy to get my work binder out from the back cuz i had the papers back there was gonna put it in the glove box but i had to go to the registration place to re new m y licence plate and the officer felt bad cuz my face was priceless! So i got waived.. he was getting off work at the time but he was like shit i didn't want to make a u ie but had to i said u were doing ur job and im very sorry abt this. he said just go take care of this and u ll be fine :) i was like dang lucky me!

prostock19 said:
Anyone ever get a traffic ticket for the most rediculous things?? I did during Brickfest weekend. I was at the intersection of West Henrietta and Lehigh Station when the light turned green. I went, thinking it was for me, since that is how the lights in RI work. Well, a Sheriff 2 cars behind me turned on his lights and sirens and started weaving in and out of traffic. I thought he was on his way to a big emergency. He pulled me over. I really didn't know what I was being pulled over for. Anyways, after he told me and I reviewed the intersection, I realized. Now, being a police dispatcher, I figured that he would only give me a warning because I am from out of town and I mentioned that I was a police dispatcher back home. He gave me a ticket. NY tickets don't list the fine, you have to mail them in and they mail you the fine. Anyways, I wrote Guilty with Explanation, wrote a letter about being confused with the area, having a good driving record, etc, etc. I got the results in the mail today. I was...grrrrrr. $75 fine and $55 surcharge. I was like WTF. The cops from my work all think 1) The cop was a jerk for giving me a ticket for that and 2) That the letter I wrote should have gotten my ticket dismissed. UGH. I am going to call Monday and see if I can appeal the decision. UGH...MY VENT!!!

sorry you got a ticket :(

what a PITA!!!

FYI... that is upstate/rochyshit!!! i am not surprised!

as soon as i moved to ny.. i got 3 FOOKING tickets!!! all in one year!!! SHEESH!!! :ugh: and i was damn lucky i didn't get my licenses revoked... i appealed.. paid small fines and got most of my points reduced!!! WHEW!!! ask wisdomlady if she remembers this! :lol: cuz i got a "heavy" foot... so ever since then.. i used "cruise control" and it did the trick!!! sheesh...

but when you are from out of state... it is just wise and saves your time/hassle to just SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE AND PAY FOR THE DAMN FINE... (if it shows the fine) or mail the ticket and have them mail you the fine.. because appealing is a PITA AND TIME CONSUMING because you have to appear at the court in that city/state where you got the ticket from... it is just WORTHLESS/POINTLESS >>> IMO... unless you plan on being in the area again... :roll:

^Angel^ said:
I know how you feel there , I got pulled over for running through the yellow light, and the police officer who pulled me over said that I should have prepare to stop instead of driving through the yellow light and I said " I thought the yellow light means caution and the red light means stop " :ugh: anyways he wrote me up a ticket and I had to pay 55.00 dollars fine :squint:

I did told the police officer that I never had a ticket before, and my driver record is good, he said if I had let you go with a warning then others will keep driving thru the yellow light... It don't make no sense cause others still do so have I from time to time, this is the first time I ever got pulled over for driving thru a yellow light... :ugh:

there is always a FIRST TIME for everything :(

whats more.. he was probably doing HIS QUOTA!!! --- i bet!! cuz i have seen it happen all the time at the end of the month which is dumb! :ugh:

I never got a ticket by cop for many years. I alway carefully to drive a car and I alway watch out for cop.

yeah all idiot cops, dispatchers, patrol , polices, sherriffs, they are rip off , they only wanna to caught all of us being speed ticket which it not really * Speed * .. just one or 2 little over the limit! Whoopee.. it happened me 3 times .. Rmes.. last time was in 1999/2000.. after that i paid 3 of them.. i almost lost my Driver License , i must pay 3rd fee which near 400 dollars.. *rme* .. so they cleaned my record and got back down to normal points.. not 4 pts anymore.. now 1 . whew!! thanks god!!!

TOF

We have rare cops around because of some camera is on the everywhere, also in traffic light including, too. What cops do? Nothing but drive around..... or stay in the office...

The camera takes itself automaic when you fail to stop at yellow/red traffic. The camera is the best proof against your own word. :|

Parking ticket... I had it only 3 times since 1992.

Well, I remember what happened. I parked on wrong parking alot (but up to 3 minutes is allow) to get stamp from post office and found police was going to write fine ticket. I stopped her and told her that I am here. All what she answer that it´s one minute overlimit. I gave her "stupid impression"... 1 MINUTE????? She ignored my remark and gave me fine ticket so I went to police station right way. All what they said to me: Overlimit is Overlimit.... No matter either it´s 15 seconds over limit. :shock: I gave them stupid remark and paid off the fine then go off to save hassle...

I paid €20 ($26) for a fucking werid 1 minute overlimit fine... :o

Few years later after that I was at lawyer over other case. I brought those situation up and question her either it´s right or not. She laughed and said: "Some of cops are good or bad heart if there´re under 1 minute overlimit... Law is Law... :|

Yes, I´m GUILTY of drive speeding... I can´t say anything against police because the camera is the best proof against my word. :| I get speeding ticket alot... Last one was last October 2004 ***knock on the wood***. I would say 2 to 3 times a year speed tickets. My hubby is mad and thank me very much to make cops richer... :o

Honestly, my hubby is sensible driver than me when there´re speed limit city and countryside except highway because of no driving speed limit. He drove between 180 to 200 kmh.. :o

javapride said:
let's see now first ticket i got was speeding ofc i was being rushy but not relizing i had gone past the 35 mph cuz i was trying to get my old truck up the hill towards the next signal and i didn't relize i had gone over the speed limit sheesh on me so got 37 bucks fine and community service pau that...

2nd ticket i got was failure to show proof of insurance the dog ate it litterly ugh so i had to replace that so that was dismissed

3rd time was waived i ran a stop sign cuz my partner was showing me what next street to go to turn right on and i inadervently ran the stop sign IN FRONT OF THE COP and i was like OH FUCK! so i said shit shit told kristy to get my work binder out from the back cuz i had the papers back there was gonna put it in the glove box but i had to go to the registration place to re new m y licence plate and the officer felt bad cuz my face was priceless! So i got waived.. he was getting off work at the time but he was like shit i didn't want to make a u ie but had to i said u were doing ur job and im very sorry abt this. he said just go take care of this and u ll be fine :) i was like dang lucky me!

wow, very lucky.....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I laughed so hard and can image that your dog ate your insurance paper.

Yea it not easy to get pulled over by the cops and get ticket. I had my first speeding ticket back in 1985 but got a warning. Then got another ticket in 86 for failing yeild sign and again got warning on that one. Then speeding in 86 and had to paid the fine of $25 dollars. I went straight to courthouse the next day to pay the fine and get off my back. Since then I never received a ticket. Still sometimes speeding thou but only sometimes not all the times.

One time I got pulled over in July 2003 and I thought no what did I do??? Lo and behold all he asked me was Did I come from Farmington, NH. I said No. Then he said ok take care and drive careful. I was relieved. Was thing that he was looking for someone with the same type of vehicle that I have. Hummmmmmmmm. Insteresting.

I got two tickets in my life but many warning. lol one in 1996 for speeding.. obivously i did... 2nd one was on New Year Day and yes i was speeding again for a good reason.

Warning gee.. many times one i passed by stop sign at 3 am I did slow down but still busted me. lol other time around 3 am again i was not speeding at all but the cops busted me, i'm like wtf?? the cop was telling me i speed, but i didn't cuz i was slowing down to make a left turn. but cop was checking on me what i was doing ( cuz cop was looking aroumd my car) stupid cop. lol but whatever. stupid cops nowadays checking on people at late night. lol

FeistyChick said:
but when you are from out of state... it is just wise and saves your time/hassle to just SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE AND PAY FOR THE DAMN FINE... (if it shows the fine) or mail the ticket and have them mail you the fine.. because appealing is a PITA AND TIME CONSUMING because you have to appear at the court in that city/state where you got the ticket from... it is just WORTHLESS/POINTLESS >>> IMO... unless you plan on being in the area again... :roll:
If NYS was like RI and wrote the fine on the ticket (the $75 part), I would have just paid it. But since you had to plea, I was honest. Last ticket I got was 3 1/2 years ago, I plead Guilty, and got off because of Good Driving Record (3+ years without a violation). I've 'terped for a friend twice and both times, she plead guilty (Both RI and MA) and she got off with just court costs on the RI one and nothing on the MA one.

I am just pissed off by the amount...$130!!! That is alot of money for a police dispatchers salary. That is almost 20% of my paycheck and I get paid every 2 weeks. Rent is 105% of my paycheck, plus bills, car insurance, etc etc. Time for a 2nd job.

prostock19 said:
If NYS was like RI and wrote the fine on the ticket (the $75 part), I would have just paid it. But since you had to plea, I was honest. Last ticket I got was 3 1/2 years ago, I plead Guilty, and got off because of Good Driving Record (3+ years without a violation). I've 'terped for a friend twice and both times, she plead guilty (Both RI and MA) and she got off with just court costs on the RI one and nothing on the MA one.

I am just pissed off by the amount...$130!!! That is alot of money for a police dispatchers salary. That is almost 20% of my paycheck and I get paid every 2 weeks. Rent is 105% of my paycheck, plus bills, car insurance, etc etc. Time for a 2nd job.

I don't blame ya at all.

Hey, Prostock, lookit all the love for the police your topic has created! :ily:
A lot of the derision thrown the cops' way isn't fair; they only enforce the law. It is the Legislatures and the courts that legislate and interpret these laws. Sure, some cops get all wise-ass-like and non-sympathetic during their encounter with us and we blame them cuz they pissed us off but why do you think your ticket, your arrest, etc, etc ALMOST ALWAYS stands up in court?

Tousi said:
Hey, Prostock, lookit all the love for the police your topic has created!

LOL, I can see that Tousi, but I would be honest here not all cops are like those who are out there, I admit I don't like a few, not cause they do give out tickets but sometimes they don't simply follow the laws themselves either, if you noticed....:::whistling:::

I don't like one of the cops I work with because he gives EVERYONE a ticket and wacks them good. All the cops that I discussed the ticket with, 1st thing they asked was "did you cause an accident?" because this kind of ticket is usually given if you cause an accident. They all pretty much said that they probally wouldn't have pulled me over for it.

I did one time for a ridiclous thing. I was in University district up in North Seattle. I made a left turn and the light was green, when I was on NE 45th St. A Seattle police had sirens on and pulled me over and I asked what is going on? He said that I made a illegal left turn. I did NOT see any illegal left turn sign when I made a left turn, sheesh. Neither, my passenger did. He let me go for a warning, no ticket. Scratching my head, where's that illegal left turn sign??? So far, I never received a ticket. I got like 3 or 4 warnings since I first drove.

pretty much weird.

:P

Back