Stupid comments

My own mother forgot I have a hearing aid and hearing loss when I told her that I found out last week that my hearing loss has progressed she suddenly looks shocked and hurt as far this is the first time telling her. I just shook my head and sighed.

Family is funny that way..

One Christmas I got a small travel alarm clock (as in the spring I and a few others from school were going to Italy, aunt was a chaperone)...from my aunt. I looked at it..looked at her. Said.. Um.. you do realize I'm not going to be able to HEAR this you know...? "Oh! Oops.. I forget sometimes"...yeaaah... lol. She took it and used it for herself lol; my sibling also got one as we both were going.

They're not as forgetful now but it still happens...

Last edited:
My own mother forgot I have a hearing aid and hearing loss when I told her that I found out last week that my hearing loss has progressed she suddenly looks shocked and hurt as far this is the first time telling her. I just shook my head and sighed.

Mother to me say "can't they fix you?" meaning it thinking fix Deaf sure easy go to mechanic leave for weekend.....

Many of my friends were upset with Foxx's fake signing. I let it go. I've better things to do. I sell bicycles. Believe it or not, but some of my customers have no patience dealing with deaf seller. I just move on to the next person.

Maybe your mother is getting a memory lost ,is she forgetting other things too ?

Some time ago I went to a gathering of friends with my new hearing aids. A couple of them asked me how I liked them and how much can I hear with them? I replied that I indeed liked them, even though I can hear the words but cannot understand them, that I still have to lipread. They hooted that it made no sense. Grrrr

Maybe your mother is getting a memory lost ,is she forgetting other things too ?

If the above is in reference to Erica's comment, no..'memory lost' aka dementia or alzheimer's, as your post is implying, is not always the de facto answer and one that many people always seems to make a beeline to any time somebody says "oh my mother forgot about that" or "my father forgets that my deafness is profound".

It's probably more simply that when a parent lives with a child for so long who grew up with hearing aids and/or oral they do tend to 'forget' because it becomes a normal part of life... a part of the kid. It happens here all the time and there is no chance in blue hell either parent is 'forgetting other things' or teetering on dementia/Alzheimer's/'memory loss'.

Some time ago I went to a gathering of friends with my new hearing aids. A couple of them asked me how I liked them and how much can I hear with them? I replied that I indeed liked them, even though I can hear the words but cannot understand them, that I still have to lipread. They hooted that it made no sense. Grrrr
But it would only make sense to one of us. To someone who has experienced this. Gosh, I have the same reaction to speech with my hearing aids and it doesn't make sense to me! It is real, but I don't understand it.

Yes...I had a friend, who with her hearing aids could even hear the birds singing...but could not understand speech. She could not speak plainly either...I, too, could not understand it at first. To find there are many people in the same boat. Is it called sensorsal hearing loss?

I have sensorineural hearing loss caused by ototoxic drug. I do hear birds singing with my digital hearing aids, but analog hearing aids make it more pure and natural. I have trouble hearing myself with digital hearing aids. It is like listening to my hollow voice. I plan to see a new audiologist in a few months to try Phonaks or analog hearing aids if they exist out there.

I have sensorineural hearing loss caused by ototoxic drug. I do hear birds singing with my digital hearing aids, but analog hearing aids make it more pure and natural. I have trouble hearing myself with digital hearing aids. It is like listening to my hollow voice. I plan to see a new audiologist in a few months to try Phonaks or analog hearing aids if they exist out there.
I don't know if they can still do it, but I recall reading where they can program digital hearing aids to be analog or at least give the same results.

I don't know if they can still do it, but I recall reading where they can program digital hearing aids to be analog or at least give the same results.

Really? I would like to know more about that. Where did you read? Do you know what brand? I can ask my new audiologist later in case I have information.

Really? I would like to know more about that. Where did you read? Do you know what brand? I can ask my new audiologist later in case I have information.
Can't remember. Might have been on hearingaidforums.com

I am a server at a resturant, and I always get "Youre too young to have hearing loss" or "whats up with that thing in your ear??"

Last edited:
You don't look like frankenstien Stein bud so you must not be him I don't know what kinda comment people really have beside useing you as a toy but hearing aids you can take out the fact that your deaf is change able some times thru medicen and a good punch in the face might still land you in jail but as frankinestien I will be chased to the end of the Earth by the Creator and his dogs ya I don't look deaf is funny cause, well I look and act deaf I know this but I get to hear so much iam privaleged as frankinestien but there a down side to it like the blind lady

Back