Stupid comments

People can be ignorant.

If you've lived in the South, you get used to hearing ignorant remarks. Some are worse than others. The remark of deaf and dumb was spoken from a snow bird old man back in the 80's. Ignorant days......
How true!...still get that question "how can you hear a train coming?"....Mainly, it's the older generation that "just don't get it" about being deaf/Deaf....

How true!...still get that question "how can you hear a train coming?"....Mainly, it's the older generation that "just don't get it" about being deaf/Deaf....

I don't know if I agree with the generation statement.
History sure has a funny way of repeating itself.
Just three months ago, my ex fiance and I were walking across the street. I said, There goes the train.
She replied, "You can hear the train?"
I pointed to the train going by.......

Hah.
Constantly.
A week ago some couple wanted assurances I could drive.
It was all I could do to not pull a full Mr. Bean act on them.

Now that, I definitely will do! Especially if they ask if I can ride a motorcycle. Mr. Bean act! So stealing this idea! Thanks!

Just three months ago, my ex fiance and I were walking across the street. I said, There goes the train.

:lol:
Your ex, huh?
Oh man, it gets interesting then...

BTW, welcome.

Surprisingly, I have never received a stupid comment in my address. At least, I do not know about it))

The funny part is someone who knows you can't hear well asking you "can you hear that?".

Me: =.=

I get ... "can you snap your fingers?"....and I say...Yes, I can...and do a little boogie....also...having my back turned, then turn around and someone says..."You can Hear!"...you heard me call your name...

Ha ha ha. I must not "look" deaf, either, because my favorite is to be tapped hard on the shoulder, and even before I finish turning, some irate person is demanding, "Are you deaf?"

Obviously, he or she has been talking to me behind my back. When I say and sign "Yes. Why?" I get the funniest expressions.

Ha ha ha. I must not "look" deaf, either, because my favorite is to be tapped hard on the shoulder, and even before I finish turning, some irate person is demanding, "Are you deaf?"

Obviously, he or she has been talking to me behind my back. When I say and sign "Yes. Why?" I get the funniest expressions.
Uh huh. You shoulda be implanted, you moron.

If you've lived in the South, you get used to hearing ignorant remarks. Some are worse than others. The remark of deaf and dumb was spoken from a snow bird old man back in the 80's. Ignorant days......

That the truth!

don't think people understand sometime they expect a thing look this way, alike that, if not, confuse them

Favorite for me? "Can you read my lips?" of course can read that question, someone ask every day.....
I sign "no, but you can read my fingers, right? Good how are you today?" they just stare at me like i'm alien :)

Favorite for me? "Can you read my lips?"

Yep, I get this question a lot, too, like lip-reading is supposed to be the easiest thing in the world. They get these ideas from stupid movies. In real life--at least for me--the speaker has to articulate well, not too fast nor too slow, be fairly close, and K.I.S.S. (Keep It Short, Stupid). :D

Well I wouldn't say this is a stupid comment but my ex form teacher (also my maths teacher) was coaching a small remedial class and she sat next to me but I tend to zone out a lot and she talked really really fast. So i struggled to catch her words and i think she got frustrated of repeating and shouted "Are you Deaf?!"

My best friend felt bad for me but i took it with a grain of salt since i was used to it. But once my form teacher found out I was HoH, I think she was guilty and she pretty much tiptoed around me Sometimes I think i don't have to say anything!!!!

LOL!....that's funny...why not just point to your eyes and say..."It's a Miracle!"

My own mother forgot I have a hearing aid and hearing loss when I told her that I found out last week that my hearing loss has progressed she suddenly looks shocked and hurt as far this is the first time telling her. I just shook my head and sighed.

Back