Studies On Deaf Children May Help Decode Dyslexia

jonnyghost

Reaction score
My auditory processing disorder and dyslexia are probably related or really two parts of the same problem. I was curious if dhh people have similar problems and found this article. Studies on Deaf Children May Help Decode Dyslexia

maybe old news but I found it interesting. :hmm:

“Cochlear implants have been able to help children who are deaf basically function as hearing children do,” said Nittrouer. “However, once you begin to scratch the surface, you often find that children who have cochlear implants function similarly to how children who have dyslexia function.”

How come they didn't find this out BEFORE? Like with Clarke/CID and other oral schools?
Second of all, if they were essentially dyslexic, then that would mean that classroom strategies designed to help dyslexia (which is the NUMBER ONE learnign disabilty seen in mainstream sped) would work with dhh kids.

Also define dyslexia. I have noticed dyslexia being used to describe general difficulty with reading....like when the language gets harder, kids start struggling....but it's not reading saw for was (like in classic dead on dyslexia)

Back