Students

Heck, I'm not trying to argue. Jolie was the one who created the thread out of frustration out of all these students coming through and creating thread after thread after thread of the same subject. She was a mod when she made that thread.

So, I think if people are not reading her thread about "Look here first", a subforum is going to be totally moot as well.

Your feedback is appreciated :)

You're clueless? Well let me fill you in then...

I am a part of this forum. I (for the most part) enjoy participating in this forum.

And yes, I am hearing **gasp**. I've never hidden that fact.

I don't quite understand why it would bother you so much that I made a suggestion.

That is- after all, the point of this particular forum.

You'll note at the top, "Forum Feedback and Suggestions"

As Kokonut said (although not in these words), posters can give the deaf community a bad name when people spit vileness at the screen.

Gives the wrong impression.

I'd like for the deaf community to be seen in a positive light, rather than in a negative light.

Couldn't have said it better! :wave:

Of course, CSign could have said it better, be inserting that she does have a deaf son, thus some connection and reason to be here , beyond just being a hearing troll.

Of course, CSign could have said it better, be inserting that she does have a deaf son, thus some connection and reason to be here , beyond just being a hearing troll.

to the bolded- what?

Why is it necessary to include my "qualifications" in my suggestion? As AC said, most posters are aware of who I am. Most importantly, the mods know who I am so it's not like I'm coming out of left field with my "suggestion" for the mods.

to the bolded- what?

Why is it necessary to include my "qualifications" in my suggestion? As AC said, most posters are aware of who I am. Most importantly, the mods know who I am so it's not like I'm coming out of left field with my "suggestion" for the mods.

Not referring to you at all. Just to the hearing troll who felt compelled to join in.

Trust me, I am not the only one objecting to her interjections.

You're clueless? Well let me fill you in then...

I am a part of this forum. I (for the most part) enjoy participating in this forum.

And yes, I am hearing **gasp**. I've never hidden that fact.

I don't quite understand why it would bother you so much that I made a suggestion.

That is- after all, the point of this particular forum.

You'll note at the top, "Forum Feedback and Suggestions"

As Kokonut said (although not in these words), posters can give the deaf community a bad name when people spit vileness at the screen.

Gives the wrong impression.

I'd like for the deaf community to be seen in a positive light, rather than in a negative light.

It bothers me not one bit that you made a suggestion. That's what the subforum is there for. There was no need for sarcasm, as my post didn't have any. I just have not seen you participating in these Deaf Culture, etal surveys/Q&A threads. Calm down.

Not referring to you at all. Just to the hearing troll who felt compelled to join in.

Trust me, I am not the only one objecting to her interjections.

It boggles my mind why people are so offended by my posting; especially since I've been a member here since '04. I guess if some others won't use their ignore feature; I'll just use mine, because, I deeply respect the Deaf and the community. It's such a shame that a few choose to be so venomous.

It boggles my mind why people are so offended by my posting; especially since I've been a member here since '04. I guess if some others won't use their ignore feature; I'll just use mine, because, I deeply respect the Deaf and the community. It's such a shame that a few choose to be so venomous.

The ignore feature is there for a reason :)

I for one, would actually not mind ASL students if they immersed themselves in AD and became daily posters (any forum could always use more opinions).
But to date, I don't think any of the active daily, weekly, or possibly even monthly members are ASL students. Come think of it, none of them have remained very long enough to become frequent.

Either way it's like said, they are post and running after getting their help without regard to stay with the community, or they don't like this site enough to stay on it.

Personally, I'd still say facebook/twitter/etc are the real killers of that. ;)

All very good points. It would likely stop the negativity they receive, from my own perspective.

I suppose the biggest question is if anybody is going to bother to want to reply to them. What do our daily members think?
After all, they are the ones doing the posting.

Now that ASL classes are being offered in many places, we are going to be pestered nonstop by students for years to come. I understand they need to get info, but, is our website set up as a resource center?

Do students taking French classes go online to French websites and ask all kinds of repetitive questions?

I am guilty of replying with sarcastic remarks like others, and it makes me feel bad that we are making ourselves seem like assholes. Having a sub-forum for students is not going to help, as we all know they don't seem to lurk & research before posting.

My opinion would require more work on the moderator's part: When a student posts a question, members report that post and click "Student Posting" instead of "spam" and the question is forwarded to a sub-forum with all other similar questions, and those of us who really feel like being guinea pigs can go to that sub-forum and answer questions.

At the risk of taking a few bullets here, I'd like to put something out there. I hope you know that I am only trying to defend those, like myself, who have a genuine desire to learn and are not simply here for an easy out on an assignment. I read quite a bit here and have chosen not to post much because I have seen the resentment towards students and although for the time being I am learning on my own, I still consider myself a student. I am only learning about much of this and it may be familiar to you, but to others it's like meeting the boyfriend's parents for the first time. Totally different family, you're not sure what is appropriate and what is not, and although you may be excited the uncertainties can be very intimidating. There are more hearing people on here than I thought there would be when I registered, and many of these people seem to either be well informed, or they seem earnest in wanting to know more. Just try not to judge everyone because some students come here in a mindset of total ignorance and unfortunately leave the same way they came. While I am feeling gutsy enough to put a few words out, I'd like to point out that there have been many questions that I had and never posted because I was afraid that if I asked a question I would label myself and be ignored in any future posts I chose to make and I want to have a chance at connecting with people. So I learn what I can from what is already posted and if it's not covered then I hope it will be at some point. There are many patient people on here that are total troopers about responding to students, so not everyone is impatient and those that are impatient seem to be in the minority. I am a peacekeeper and avoid situations that causes any stir unless it's extremely important. Let it be known that I am very tired and I hope this made sense.
oh yea and all those questions I had should be answered soon. I finally saved enough to take a class and that makes me very happy!

My opinion would require more work on the moderator's part: When a student posts a question, members report that post and click "Student Posting" instead of "spam" and the question is forwarded to a sub-forum with all other similar questions, and those of us who really feel like being guinea pigs can go to that sub-forum and answer questions.

I think the button idea is fantastic.

At the risk of taking a few bullets here, I'd like to put something out there. I hope you know that I am only trying to defend those, like myself, who have a genuine desire to learn and are not simply here for an easy out on an assignment. I read quite a bit here and have chosen not to post much because I have seen the resentment towards students and although for the time being I am learning on my own, I still consider myself a student. I am only learning about much of this and it may be familiar to you, but to others it's like meeting the boyfriend's parents for the first time. Totally different family, you're not sure what is appropriate and what is not, and although you may be excited the uncertainties can be very intimidating. There are more hearing people on here than I thought there would be when I registered, and many of these people seem to either be well informed, or they seem earnest in wanting to know more. Just try not to judge everyone because some students come here in a mindset of total ignorance and unfortunately leave the same way they came. While I am feeling gutsy enough to put a few words out, I'd like to point out that there have been many questions that I had and never posted because I was afraid that if I asked a question I would label myself and be ignored in any future posts I chose to make and I want to have a chance at connecting with people. So I learn what I can from what is already posted and if it's not covered then I hope it will be at some point. There are many patient people on here that are total troopers about responding to students, so not everyone is impatient and those that are impatient seem to be in the minority. I am a peacekeeper and avoid situations that causes any stir unless it's extremely important. Let it be known that I am very tired and I hope this made sense.
oh yea and all those questions I had should be answered soon. I finally saved enough to take a class and that makes me very happy!

Good post. You seem to be more intelligent than 95% of all the other students we've had to deal with.

By virtue of having a sub forum under "Our World, Our Culture" or under "Deaf Education", those extra steps for the members and mods would be cut out.

As of today, these are just some of the threads on the first page of the Intro section alone:

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100246-wanna-practice-asl-me.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100142-anyone-want-practice-asl-me.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100715-looking-someone-practice-asl.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100808-college-course-interview.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100842-i-am-13-year-old-teenager-who-wants-learn-asl.html

Having a subforum would theoretically consolidate majority of those type of posts/questions into that one subforum alone.

By virtue of having a sub forum under "Our World, Our Culture" or under "Deaf Education", those extra steps for the members and mods would be cut out.

As of today, these are just some of the threads on the first page of the Intro section alone:

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100246-wanna-practice-asl-me.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100142-anyone-want-practice-asl-me.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100715-looking-someone-practice-asl.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100808-college-course-interview.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100842-i-am-13-year-old-teenager-who-wants-learn-asl.html

Having a subforum would theoretically consolidate majority of those type of posts/questions into that one subforum alone.

I made a special thread for all the ASL students who want to practice, and quite a few do submit their information to that sticky thread.

Unfortunately, some seem to feel that are too special to just join the appropriate place and must have their own.

I made a special thread for all the ASL students who want to practice, and quite a few do submit their information to that sticky thread.

Unfortunately, some seem to feel that are too special to just join the appropriate place and must have their own.

I did notice that Bott, and I think it's a good sticky.

I suppose there will always be people who won't pay attention to things, but then again, it might help to keep most of the threads in that one location.

I'm not emotionally vested in the idea... Just expressing it :)

It's the same as the tread I created and people have added to about websites to help people learn ASL. They still create new threads in general chat.

It's the same as the tread I created and people have added to about websites to help people learn ASL. They still create new threads in general chat.

Yes it is....these new students are not going to follow the rules...hence my suggestion to report these students' posts as "student" and the moderator will have to move it to the appropriate section.

Back