Students Looking for ASL buddies

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i went to a Deaf meet last week and, while yes i'm a bit rusty on asl, i do know many words, there was this guy there who was a beginner like all us hearies were at one time, lol, kept calling me on my dipping into SEE. on second thought, what i was doing was dipping into pidgin... but anyways, is there really a problem with those who are slightly more advanced to do this? granted i didn't realize i was doing it, and yes sometimes i have difficulty remembering asl syntax, but really, is there a problem? oh, and then he's like " can you stop? you're confusing us newbies who are strictly asl." so i left him alone for the rest of the night... idk... can someone tell me? please?

Hi my name is Rebeca and Im learning ASL. Im currently taking it in High School and this is my second year taking it. I would like to have a buddy (preferably female) to practice signing to over skype or facebook.

Wirelessly posted

BecaBear said:
Hi my name is Rebeca and Im learning ASL. Im currently taking it in High School and this is my second year taking it. I would like to have a buddy (preferably female) to practice signing to over skype or facebook.

you can find me on Skype
hokuahi12
just let me know you are from here. I'll be on off and on for the next few days cuz of spring break. after next week it'll be even more sporadic. but I check msgs often.

Wirelessly posted

this is an ASL thread. I think you might be in the wrong place, hun.

This is my thread. :mad2:

You are in the wrong place if you think to tell people not to come in here.

There are plenty of BSL learners also. Also people planning to travel who may like to learn.

Wirelessly posted

first off, I didn't specifically say they were, I said I think they were. secondly, as it was a mistake, please don't yell at me like I'm a child. I made a mistake, now let's move on

Wirelessly posted

first off, I didn't specifically say they were, I said I think they were. secondly, as it was a mistake, please don't yell at me like I'm a child. I made a mistake, now let's move on

Shh....

I am telling you how to behave, and I didn't even go into the demeaning aspect of calling a person, "hun".

You are free to move on from my thread if you don't care to follow my rules.

Wirelessly posted

Serious you can do follow on reading below thread
Shh....

I am telling you how to behave, and I didn't even go into the demeaning aspect of calling a person, "hun".

You are free to move on from my thread if you don't care to follow my rules.

:cool2: she demand on advise you rule on explain to HokuAhi

Hi all. I'm new on this site. I'm Chelsea, I'm autistic and verbal but was nonverbal when I was a kid. I used a lot of signs to communicate and find I sign better than speak sometimes. The teachers all discouraged me from signing, said it wasn't allowed and since I wasn't at a deaf school I never learned ASL. Am taking ASL I right now at college in hopes of maybe becoming an interpreter someday. Would love to practice with anyone willing to practice with me. I haven't used skype or video chat much so may have a hard time figuring out how to work it at first but really want to try. I love my ASL class! Taking ASL 2 this summer. I got accepted to the interpreter program at Columbia College Chicago for fall! Yay! :) Anyone wanna practice? I struggle with eye contact and understand most fluent sign but am not as good with the expressive side of things. :)

Wirelessly posted

chelseautie82 said:
Hi all. I'm new on this site. I'm Chelsea, I'm autistic and verbal but was nonverbal when I was a kid. I used a lot of signs to communicate and find I sign better than speak sometimes. The teachers all discouraged me from signing, said it wasn't allowed and since I wasn't at a deaf school I never learned ASL. Am taking ASL I right now at college in hopes of maybe becoming an interpreter someday. Would love to practice with anyone willing to practice with me. I haven't used skype or video chat much so may have a hard time figuring out how to work it at first but really want to try. I love my ASL class! Taking ASL 2 this summer. I got accepted to the interpreter program at Columbia College Chicago for fall! Yay! :) Anyone wanna practice? I struggle with eye contact and understand most fluent sign but am not as good with the expressive side of things. :)

I wish you all the luck in the world with your endeavors. there are many here who can help you. I might not be the right choice for you, but there are many here who might be. good luck.

Hello

Hey anyone wanna practice with me i have skype, just send me a message

My name is Ally, I'm 22 and live in Columbus, Ohio. Instructors aide for students with Autism at a private school and makeup artist at MAC Cosmetics. A lot of my students communicate with ASL as they are nonverbal and it has been incredibly helpful for them. It's so awesome for them to have a form of communication. I'm getting my BA in special education and I want to get a teaching position at Ohio School for the Deaf. I know a few basics and have recently regristered for ASL I. It would be nice to chat with someone who can teach me a few things and also help me maintain the ASL that I already know and will learn. I love meeting new people and learning about cultures and communities. I'd love to make some friends on this forum. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks! :)
I would love to chat with you and i think we can help each other out i have skype just add me if i wanna chay

Hey, I'm autistic, too, and I'd love to chat. I am working on exams right now but will be free after the 20th and perhaps we could organize a Skype chat. Feel free to PM me or I can PM you, as long as you're okay with it.

I'm such a procrastinator, lol!! I need to set up a skype account & practice with fellow students. I'll be going into my 3rd ASL semester in the Fall, and while I am getting the signs my Sign reading needs work. Reading fingerspelling isn't so bad but when I get a ton of spelled words I am in all sorts of trouble!! :p

Wirelessly posted

Devyn231 said:
I'm such a procrastinator, lol!! I need to set up a skype account & practice with fellow students. I'll be going into my 3rd ASL semester in the Fall, and while I am getting the signs my Sign reading needs work. Reading fingerspelling isn't so bad but when I get a ton of spelled words I am in all sorts of trouble!! :p

you can find me on Skype
hokuahi12
I check msgs often and I'll see when I can find internet service to chat.
just let me know that you found me here. look forward to hearing from you.

:wave:On the bright side, what you're going through is normal. It's been about a decade since I've signed regularly, so I really don't remember much passed finger spelling, so if you want practice there, I'd be glad to relearn the signs you already know :) my skype name is sdsmithartanddesign. Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back