Students Looking for ASL buddies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too have the webcam that SallyLou mentioned. It's a really good camera and does a great job. I got mine on sale at Best Buy and only paid $80 for it.

I'm using a Logitech C600 which cost me around $50. It works great for my use... for making videos of ASL, and for using it on Skype. Nice clear picture & videos...

I have Skype as well, but I'd probably be a little nervous to sign with some of you seasoned signers! I'm a deafie that's totally new at ASL, so if anyone would be patient enough, I'd be okay with signing with you all. :)

I'll add people later tonight if I get on, and if you said you'd be willing to talk to a beginner! You can PM me your username if you don't want it on the forum too and if you will be slow signing to me. :)

I have Skype as well, but I'd probably be a little nervous to sign with some of you seasoned signers! I'm a deafie that's totally new at ASL, so if anyone would be patient enough, I'd be okay with signing with you all. :)

I'll add people later tonight if I get on, and if you said you'd be willing to talk to a beginner! You can PM me your username if you don't want it on the forum too and if you will be slow signing to me. :)

Those who have been better signers than I have always been patient with me. I find it no burden to be patient with anyone who wishes to put the effort into learning. What has been given freely should not be hoarded.

Thanks for the cam tips.
I purchased one that had , skype, listed on the box.
I set up, but go figure, on a Monday/Holiday no one was on :)
As I was setting it up I was not really thrilled with the tracking movement or how it uses light - sheesh! I looked seasoned(old) - we shall see how it does with an actual vid-call.

I will be trying later.

Well, tried the cam, it will go back. Ratz.

Thanks for trying to Skype with me wintermagnolia. It was great to meet you and I hope we can meet again once I get a better camera.

Let me know sometime if you want to get the cam session going if that's what you're testing. I am not fully proficient nor fluent in ASL though. :lol:

I am very novice when it comes to computer cameras.
I did try to adjust it while connected with wintermagnolia, she was seeing just a blur when I started signing. Frustrating.

Maybe I will unpack it and try again before buying a new one.

Thanks for suggestions, I need all the help I can get :)

I am very novice when it comes to computer cameras.
I did try to adjust it while connected with wintermagnolia, she was seeing just a blur when I started signing. Frustrating.

Maybe I will unpack it and try again before buying a new one.

Thanks for suggestions, I need all the help I can get :)

I found mine, when it was really blurry, was just not a good enough camera with the pixel rate and all. (I don't know much at all. Had suggestions from Chevy57 and Dismal Shadow for my P3 and it's great with all my video chat "stuff".

Mine was originally showing a blur when I signed as well... but my son adjusted the exposure, and especially the "gain" and it took all the blur away. What kind of webcam do you have?

Mine was originally showing a blur when I signed as well... but my son adjusted the exposure, and especially the "gain" and it took all the blur away. What kind of webcam do you have?

I did have the $30 Logitech QuickCam Chat and it was terrible! Everything had to be in "super-slo-mo" just so it wasn't blurry. There were no setting to be able to change. Now, I have the $100 (I got it on sale for $80) Logitech Webcam Pro 9000. It is wonderful.

The one I picked up is a GearHead QuickWeb Cam. It had all of the vidchat sites listed. I did get it back out and tried to adjust some of the settings but it still looks blurry to me and I think was worse for someone viewing it.

I didn't see anything about 'gain' could it be listed some other way?

I think I will return this one and buy one suggested by you folks.

Try turning down the exposure level / gain / ambient before returning it back. It should be called something along those lines. The exposure is what causes the slowdown in cameras, the less you have it turned up on, the more clear your video will be. Brightness and Contrast are something else not related to this.

Other than that, that's the only real reason I can think of for the blurring cause.

I saw your Cam has a maximum recording resolution of 352x278, if it's the WC330I model number.

This may contribute to a small factor as well. Generally speaking, the larger you go the better the camera is.
Here are some 1:1 scaled sizes to give you an idea of the difference between resolutions:

320x240 resolution (lowest standard, 360p on youtube)
qcp320full.jpg

640x480 resolution (480p on youtube)
qcphl640.jpg

And the rest are higher resolutions, 1280x720 or up (720p on youtube) so hopefully that gives you an idea.
http://www.bonanza.org/Media/images/wallpapers/absVTail_1280x720.jpg
Didn't want to put the picture in here because it'll be huge.

I did have the $30 Logitech QuickCam Chat and it was terrible! Everything had to be in "super-slo-mo" just so it wasn't blurry. There were no setting to be able to change. Now, I have the $100 (I got it on sale for $80) Logitech Webcam Pro 9000. It is wonderful.

Yeah, mine is the Logitech C6000 and it's great! I got it on sale for $50 (reg. $60)...

My husband picked up a LifeCam VX3000 for me today.
I am installed and I think this one will be fine. Not quite 2mpix, only 1.3, but much much better.

Now to grab some time to meet you all on skype :)

You are so very welcome!! I really enjoyed it. I'm really trying to get on Skype as much as I can, but as I've posted before... my schedule gets kinda crazy. Haha!

I was supposed to chat with Travis last night on Skype, and the battery on my wireless mouse died! UGH! Couldn't use my computer until I got some new batteries this morning... Sheesh! LOL

Wow I am surprised hope be you new wireless mouse. Hope be you I can add for who need to appointment and set up for new encourage you. I wish be you more increase sign langauge :D

I'm an ASL student . . . Just finished my first 4 weeks of ASL class here at Southern IL University in Carbondale, IL. I'd love to practice with anyone on Skype...I just have to warn you, I'm still learning and am not great at ASL yet.

My Skype name is kb9dbc

Thanks!
Gregg

I'm an ASL student . . . Just finished my first 4 weeks of ASL class here at Southern IL University in Carbondale, IL. I'd love to practice with anyone on Skype...I just have to warn you, I'm still learning and am not great at ASL yet.

My Skype name is kb9dbc

Thanks!
Gregg

I add for you skype :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back