Stop using plastic bags at any store....

yagazn

Reaction score
Stop using Plastic Bags/Brown Bags.

Bring your own "go green" bags.....
go_green_bag.jpg

I bring my own bags. Save the beautiful trees.
amazing-trees-21.jpg

Not just plastic bags/brown bags, there's more info:
http://www.greenleap.com/area/climate/

Last edited:
think about how they produce green bags.

I use my expedition day pack for grocery shopping. Good for those days where you need to haul home heavy grocery between 20kg to 60kg, but don't want to use a taxi or a bus.

I use my expedition day pack for grocery shopping. Good for those days where you need to haul home heavy grocery between 20kg to 60kg, but don't want to use a taxi or a bus.

very good idea but that's gonna suck for delicate food

Like eggs? Not like a reusable grocery bag will help much with eggs either.

a privilege that we car drivers have. but we have a couple of "go green" bags.

I just bus it. :)

Although I did see people who ride bicycles and motorcycles use these at the checkout counter:

egg_carton.jpg

Except they're normally yellow up here and they don't come with the handles.

I just bus it. :)
don't end up like Epic Beard Man (Thomas Bruso aka Tom Slick or Vietnam Tom).

Although I did see people who ride bicycles and motorcycles use these at the checkout counter:

egg_carton.jpg

Except they're normally yellow up here and they don't come with the handles.

oh that'll work. there's banana version for it too. I think I have 2-eggs hard carton somewhere for camping..... not sure.

Well, I do use tote bags.... but you have to clean them once in a while to get rid of the bacteria left by the produces and meat.

I use the plastic bags to put rubbish in, I even bought bins the right size for them. If the shops stop giving me bags, guess what, I have to buy plastic bags to put my rubbish in.

By all means make the shops give out recycled plastic bags, there is no need to stop using them completely.

You never heard of the oils in trees used for plastic bags??
I have heard of many things. Plastic manufacturing can take on many forms and use many different raw materials. What I don't know is if trees are used to make the plastic bags that this thread is talking about.

I have heard of many things. Plastic manufacturing can take on many forms and use many different raw materials. What I don't know is if trees are used to make the plastic bags that this thread is talking about.

Cookies, gum, etc use materials from trees too as well.

I did some quick research and did not see anything that suggests trees die to make plastic bags. From what I have gathered so far, it's more the disposal of them that is a problem and not so much the manufacturing.

How Are Plastic Bags Made? | eHow.com

C&EN: WHAT'S THAT STUFF? PLASTIC BAGS

http://www.life123.com/home-garden/green-living/recycling/how-are-plastic-bags-made.shtml

How are plastic bags made? That's a question most of us probably didn't think about until we realized how detrimental plastic bags are to the environment, but understanding the process can help inspire us to start recycling and find alternatives to these bags.

From Parkesine To Plastic
Cheap plastic bags and plastic shopping bags are made in much the same way that thermoplastics were made in 1856, when Alexander Parkes invented the first plastic, called Parkesine. Back then Parkes was creating plastics for use as building materials, but Parkesine was prone to cracking, expensive to produce and highly flammable, so it didn't catch on as he would have liked.

The Development Of Polyethylene
The cheap plastic bags found in grocery stores, as well as most other plastic bags and other plastic items, are made from basically two major ingredients: petroleum and natural gas, which are then separated and converted into different types of polymers. Polymers, which are filled with large molecules called monomers, are repeating units. These repeating units are used in a variety of ways to make ethylene. When ethylene is processed, it forms molecular chains. These chains create a chemical called polyethylene.

Plastic bags are just one of the many products that can be made from polyethylene. Plastic bags are made from three types of polyethylene: high-density polyethylene (HDPE), low-density polyethylene (LDPE) or linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE). HDPE and LDPE plastics are created by a process called Ziegler-Natta vinyl polymerization, named after the two men who created the process and won a Nobel Prize for their efforts. Unfortunately, carcinogens are released into the atmosphere when ethylene and polyethylene are created. These carcinogens are dangerous to humans and animals who breathe the toxic air.

Wirelessly posted

SimonJ said:
I use the plastic bags to put rubbish in, I even bought bins the right size for them. If the shops stop giving me bags, guess what, I have to buy plastic bags to put my rubbish in.

By all means make the shops give out recycled plastic bags, there is no need to stop using them completely.

Used to do that before they made the bags biogradable; now if I use them, the bags leak.

Back