stick or auto?

What's your preference in cars? Stick or automatic?

• stick shift

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • automatic all the way

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
no, In-line 4 cylinder w/ DOHC VVCT. S2000 is 2.0L and RWD. I dont know what the S stand for? I guess its sport verison?

Correction...its VTEC, not VVCT.

Yeah, I know. :) The earlier S2000 can rev up to 9,000 rpm but the newer ones go up to 8500 rpm because of bigger displacement motor and better torque curve. They stopped making the S2000 not long ago as well. It's gonna be a collector's item in the near future.
I first heard about the S2000 engine's horsepower rate was 240. I thought they were steroid by turbochargers or superchargers but not. Impossible that a 2.0L motor make 240 HP without turbo/superchargers then I readed a Motor Age magazine about the S2000 and no wonder why they use variable valve timings ( like stock camshaft and high performance camshaft in one camshaft that were how they advance overlap to keep the valves stay little open in early and late timing.
Without variable valve timings, the engine will be 135 HP typical.

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I907/UCID1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

deafsmogtech, yup thats correct...its a high end VTEC motor which is why it produce impressive power ratings at high engine speed. Basically the bigger cam lobe is 2nd gear, if you know what I mean. My car has a sohc VTEC which produces 127 hp at 6600 rpm and its only 1.6 liter. The dohc version produces 160 hp. The con with older vtec engines is they produce weak torque curve.

Depends. I would NEVER drive a sports car in auto. :) Traffic in my area made me hate driving stick, so I switched to auto. If I lived somewhere without so much traffic, stick hands down!

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I907/UCID1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

deafsmogtech, yup thats correct...its a high end VTEC motor which is why it produce impressive power ratings at high engine speed. Basically the bigger cam lobe is 2nd gear, if you know what I mean. My car has a sohc VTEC which produces 127 hp at 6600 rpm and its only 1.6 liter. The dohc version produces 160 hp. The con with older vtec engines is they produce weak torque curve.
Weak torque on older vtec engines? I didnt know. Your Honda motor with VTEC rates 127 hp at 6k rpm is compared to my 71 AR GTV 1750's 118 hp at 5,500 rpm and 135 lbs torque at 3,000 rpm, sounds good pretty torque. I guess your car outperform my vintage GTV 1750. Sad.

Weak torque on older vtec engines? I didnt know. Your Honda motor with VTEC rates 127 hp at 6k rpm is compared to my 71 AR GTV 1750's 118 hp at 5,500 rpm and 135 lbs torque at 3,000 rpm, sounds good pretty torque. I guess your car outperform my vintage GTV 1750. Sad.

I was talking about the older VTEC motors in late 80's to early 90s. The first cars with a VTEC motor in Japan was in a Honda CRX orginally had 150 hp 1.5 liter DOHC. It produced the peak power at 7600 rpm and 100 something ft lb at 7000 rpm, I think. It's been a while, though. My car produces 106 ft lb at 5000 rpm. The 2.0 liter version of the S2000 (early models) produced 240 hp at impressive 8500 rpm and only 158 ft lb at 7000 rpm or something.

If you want more punch, I have to shift down to lower gear on the automatic transmission to get to 4500-5000 rpm to get quick pick up going up hills, that's why it needs more revs to get more torque/hp. The VTEC cam does not kick in until at around 5600 rpm all the way to the 6900 rpm redline.

Depends. I would NEVER drive a sports car in auto. :) Traffic in my area made me hate driving stick, so I switched to auto. If I lived somewhere without so much traffic, stick hands down!

If you live somewhere without traffic but hills, very steep, you won't able to doing well with manual shift.

Question is... Suppose that be expensive to repair if Manual is broke?

Auto transmission is very hard to break than manual transmission.

I believe manual transmission is cheaper than auto transmission for repair.

Almost 90% driver abuse to transmission to break down. Nothing to worry about transmission.

Auto transmission is very hard to break than manual transmission.

I believe manual transmission is cheaper than auto transmission for repair.

Almost 90% driver abuse to transmission to break down. Nothing to worry about transmission.
GM THM 700r4 or 4L60E trannies are weak and often mechanical breakdowns. My Astro van's tranny went out of service in about 95k mileage on it. I overhauled and rebuilted w/ upgraded strong planetary/ sungear assemblies.
Now my van is at almost 170K mileage on it but it is sick right now. I better off with GM reman tranny soon.
Many auto trannies are failures very easy cuz they got poor oxidition ATF due to high tempurature and poor (neglect) maintenance.
Some European vehicles like MBZ or BMW, have lifetime trannies cuz they use synthetic ATF. Never change ATF or filters. Sometime they are problem w/ mechanical or electricals.
Manual trannies can be expensive job if you own a Porsche Caynne SUV. Big
money on clutch job. Subaru? of course cheap clutch job.

Back