Statistically, How Well Do the Deaf and Disabled Do Compared to Others?

Doug5

Reaction score
I was watching the news and they said the unemployment rate for blacks is twice as high as the national average. How is it for Deaf and Disabled?

We're not statistic. Either we can work in this world or we cannot. I can say that I'm one of the 15% or 25 % of the deaf people that are out of work and it won't matter. How would it help me get a job? or any one?

Did you know back in the old days, the employment rate among Deaf men was HIGHER then for white hearing men?
A large part of the reason why unempoyment is so high with the childhood deaf and blind communites is simple. We lost the abilty to network for jobs. Unless you're a Harvard level achiever, a lot of times dumbassed middle managers will look at hearing aids or hear kids "deaf voices" and think " Oh they're mentally handicapped." Trust me, it happened to ME

Unless you're a Harvard level achiever, a lot of times dumbassed middle managers will look at hearing aids or hear kids "deaf voices" and think " Oh they're mentally handicapped." Trust me, it happened to ME

That's what happened with my managers (so obviously high school-educated). They thought differently after I wrote a 1400 word complaint to the human resources department. :)

Its tough. Deafness excludes some job choices and lack of networking makes it even harder. Im sure audism is much more rampant than racism.

I think the Deaf have to me militant about this. No one gives anyone anything. You must take it. I refuse to continue to live in poverty.

I don't know the US figures, but research in the UK shows that deaf people suffer from far higher levels of unemployment

Similarly one in five people in our survey were unemployed and looking for work. This means that they correspond to the International Labour Organisation (ILO)’s definition of unemployment. Among the UK labour force as a whole, the percentage of ILO unemployed people is one in 20 – five* times less than in our survey.
*should this say four times?

Link: http://www.actiononhearingloss.org..../Research and policy/Opportunity Blocked.ashx

There will never be accurate data as far as the deaf population goes because not everyone reports their hearing loss and there is no nation-wide database to keep tabs on every single person who has a hearing loss and how they perform from school to employment.

I do know that in Canada the unemployment rate for the deaf, based on what data they did have, is at about 70-75% or at least that's what their last report revealed.

this link explains why it's hard to collect data on the hearing/non hearing populations

» Deaf Issues » Canadian Association of the Deaf

A certain number of statistics are usually made up, so you can't always go by the numbers unless they are from a strongly reputable source that actually takes surveys.

The US Census numbers are usually pretty close but I still wouldn't call them dead-on accurate.

I will say this, I do work and it's bloody difficult to find good work as a D/HH individual, especially when they say that hearing is a requirement to perform the essential functions of the job.

A lot of times a company will say that they feel you are not qualified enough or over qualified for the position or they felt that another candidate was a better fit for the position. This is how they don't hire D/HH individuals. As soon as they find out you are D/HH in the interview, they will quickly wrap it up and as soon as you walk out the door, your resume is placed in a shredder.

I've watched an HR manager throw my application in the trash once when I had to walk past his window on the outside of the building to get back to my car. That hurt.

Anymore, I have to apply for jobs that are beneath my level of education such as janitorial, poultry processing, etc.

Hopefully, when I complete my Bachelor's Degree, things will improve.

A certain number of statistics are usually made up, so you can't always go by the numbers unless they are from a strongly reputable source that actually takes surveys.

The US Census numbers are usually pretty close but I still wouldn't call them dead-on accurate.

I will say this, I do work and it's bloody difficult to find good work as a D/HH individual, especially when they say that hearing is a requirement to perform the essential functions of the job.

A lot of times a company will say that they feel you are not qualified enough or over qualified for the position or they felt that another candidate was a better fit for the position. This is how they don't hire D/HH individuals. As soon as they find out you are D/HH in the interview, they will quickly wrap it up and as soon as you walk out the door, your resume is placed in a shredder.

I've watched an HR manager throw my application in the trash once when I had to walk past his window on the outside of the building to get back to my car. That hurt.

Anymore, I have to apply for jobs that are beneath my level of education such as janitorial, poultry processing, etc.

Hopefully, when I complete my Bachelor's Degree, things will improve.

I hope so too.

Did you know back in the old days, the employment rate among Deaf men was HIGHER then for white hearing men?
A large part of the reason why unempoyment is so high with the childhood deaf and blind communites is simple. We lost the abilty to network for jobs. Unless you're a Harvard level achiever, a lot of times dumbassed middle managers will look at hearing aids or hear kids "deaf voices" and think " Oh they're mentally handicapped." Trust me, it happened to ME

I was told years ago that stores loved to hire disable people because the stores got a tax break! Some woman at office of disable people told me this.

These extremely high unemployment figures for the deaf apply most likely during bad economic times. I think the numbers go way the other way in good economic times.....not sure what that's saying but.....

Back