Starting intensive BSL classes today

AJWSmith

Reaction score
I finished my BSL Level One course last night. Will find out next week whether I have passed or not. I've already signed up to do Level Two in January. Onwards and upwards!

Bottesini

Old Deaf Ranter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I finished my BSL Level One course last night. Will find out next week whether I have passed or not. I've already signed up to do Level Two in January. Onwards and upwards!

Good luck, AJWSmith!

Speedy Hawk

Reaction score
Good luck AJWSmith! I hope you pass so can go Level 2 straight away.

Edit: How did 101, 102 and 103 exam go?

Jazzberry

Reaction score

That is fantastic! Good luck on the exam. :)

AJWSmith

Reaction score
Good luck AJWSmith! I hope you pass so can go Level 2 straight away.

Edit: How did 101, 102 and 103 exam go?

Thanks for you best wishes Speedy Hawk

I am doing the BSL course accredited by ABC, not Signature, so I haven't done the 101, 102 or 103 exams. We are continually assessed (I had to write a brief account of what I learned for each and every class) and had four exams spread throughout the course or assessments as they were called. Two BSL dialogues, 1 receptive test and 1 productive test when you sign for two minutes making sure that you covered all the criteria (use of numbers; past, present & future tenses; express positives & negatives; fingerspelling and such like).

RacherBunny

Reaction score
that's really awesome you and your wife are doing classes together! :D

when will you get grades back?

AJWSmith

Reaction score
We passed BSL Level 1 \o/\o/

:dance::dance::dance: I'm really pleased to announce that my wife and I passed our BSL Level 1 exam :dance::dance::dance:

We have already signed up to do the next available Level 2 course, as doing Level 1 made me realise how little I actually know and I want to become fluent in this wonderful language. I'm told that even Level 2 isn't enough and that BSL Level 3 is when I can begin to approach fluency.

Thanks to everyone who sent us their best wishes :ty:

autumneve

Reaction score
This is all wonderful news, congrats to you both on passing your level one and good luck with the level two. That surely is a very intense course. I am currently doing a prelevel 3 BSL course but that is a 3 hour session every 2 weeks, my brain could not take any more lol so you deserve a lot of credit for taking on so much learning in such a short time.

Stick with it, I am sure you will both do great!

Speedy Hawk

Reaction score
Thanks for you best wishes Speedy Hawk

I am doing the BSL course accredited by ABC, not Signature, so I haven't done the 101, 102 or 103 exams. We are continually assessed (I had to write a brief account of what I learned for each and every class) and had four exams spread throughout the course or assessments as they were called. Two BSL dialogues, 1 receptive test and 1 productive test when you sign for two minutes making sure that you covered all the criteria (use of numbers; past, present & future tenses; express positives & negatives; fingerspelling and such like).

I never heard of ABC. That very different way than I heard about. Usually people pick signature and some pick NVQ, similar but I think just 1 big exam.

Well done passing Level 1! I agree Level 3 is best stage for proper conversation more than basics.

AlleyCat

Reaction score
Good job! My honey is in his finals week for ASL 4, so next semester he is on his final ASL 5 class. It has been a busy time for him, so I have a pretty good idea how it must be for you guys :)

Buffalo

Reaction score
I watched one of these yesterday - 'Departure Lounge'. I understood parts of the BSL dialogue, but needed the subtitles to get the whole meaning.

The one called 'My Song' is an absolute tearjerker. I've posted a thread about 'My Song' elsewhere in AD.

This is my favorite BSL vlog. I was trying to understand BSL and the fingerspelling were way too fast for me. Lucky me, it is subtitled.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upAsFzO9AU&list=UUbsKqjg6V54gBkDesgFI7Wg&feature=plcp]Four Deaf Yorkshiremen - YouTube[/ame]

AJWSmith

Reaction score
This is my favorite BSL vlog. I was trying to understand BSL and the fingerspelling were way too fast for me. Lucky me, it is subtitled.

Four Deaf Yorkshiremen - YouTube

Brilliant Buffalo :laugh2:

I remember seeing this years ago before I knew any BSL as I'm a big fan of Monty Python and in particular their 4 Yorkshiremen sketch. It was interesting to watch it again now that I know some BSL. Still needed the subtitles to understand all of it though.

Thanks for posting:ty:

Speedy Hawk

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhfVTflmMKI"]Four Deaf Yorkshire Men 2[/ame]

Here version 2.