Stanley Steam Car

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow! This is amazing car which very few has a running steam engine. I'm amazed with this restoration he made. Kudos!

[yt]0OtFnnmJtSs[/yt]

Quote Detail:

About Stanley Steamers
The Stanley Brothers began manufacturing the steam car in Newton, Massachusetts from 1898. Until the self-starting petrol car was introduced in 1914, steam-powered cars were in fact more popular than petrol cars. In 1919 a Stanley Steamer broke the world steam record by reaching a speed of 126 mph. Eventually, petrol engines became more advanced and easier to run, and steam cars simply went out of fashion. In 1924, the Stanley Brothers ceased prodcution; one year later, Henry Ford sold his 1 millionth petrol car.

The car in this video was built in 1919. It has a detachable hood, weighs two tons and is painted racing green. The steam car uses an internal boiler, heated by a petrol/diesel mix, to run a steam engine. The car sounds exactly like a steam train when it accelerates, before reaching the breakneck speeds of 30mph. Not very many Stanleys exist today.

Peter Coles
Peter Coles has been an engineer all his life, and takes a passionate interest in steam power. He drives scheduled steam trains in Poland as a hobby. At his Hertfordshire home he restored a whole traction engine, which he later sold for something a little less ungainly. He bought the Stanley steam car as a wreck and spent two years restoring it to full working order. He often takes the car to steam fairs and carnivals, and hires it out for weddings

Wondering if jay leno sold the steam car on ebay.. What do you guys think its worth?? A billion bucks or what??

Jay Leno didn't sold his steam car. I was just wondering if he DID sold the steam on EBAY then how much the car cost.... billion dollars?? That what I'm saying.... ya know?

Intersting about that..
Save gas better than methol huh?? But run out of water...same thing pro and cons...

Jay Leno didn't sold his steam car. I was just wondering if he DID sold the steam on EBAY then how much the car cost.... billion dollars?? That what I'm saying.... ya know?

Intersting about that..
Save gas better than methol huh?? But run out of water...same thing pro and cons...

Right, the driver has to watch the water level constantly, if they run the car dry, it will explode. I don't know how many gallons of water it carries, but with the size of the car, unlike steam locomotive which have big boiler and tender, it's likely the car may have a short trip with small water tank and it does not have tender to pull.

I read somewhere the Stanley Steamer can go up to 110-120 miles on a tank of water in the boiler and about 11-13 miles per gallon on the fuel it's using to boil the steam.

The 4 cylinder powered motor carriages in the heydays got about 12 to 22 mpg range, I think. I can't remember exactly. They only produced 20 hp and can go up to 45 mph top speed.

I read somewhere the Stanley Steamer can go up to 110-120 miles on a tank of water in the boiler and about 11-13 miles per gallon on the fuel it's using to boil the steam.

The 4 cylinder powered motor carriages in the heydays got about 12 to 22 mpg range, I think. I can't remember exactly. They only produced 20 hp and can go up to 45 mph top speed.

Ah interesting

I Googled for the information and found this information:

Using ball-bearing construction throughout, the Stanley car was capable of speeds in excess of 75 MPH for short periods of time if one could locate a dirt road of the period suitable for the exercise. Exhaust steam from the engine is first used to preheat the water supply to the boiler further improving operating efficiency. On early cars the spent steam exited the rear of the car along with the combustion products of the burner. For later cars a standard automotive radiator served as a condenser returning the steam to liquid and eventual reuse in the boiler. Non-condensing cars required about a gallon of water per mile or two but later condensing cars greatly improved this efficiency to the neighborhood 10 miles per water gallon.

Good information and picture in: Stanley Steamer -- Technical Information

In the specification image, it mentioned it holds 24 gallons of water underframe and giving it mileage of 150-250 miles which is a short trip.

Wow, the stanley steamer had advantage is speed! I believe it produced lots of torque than a gasoline 4 cylinder engine.

Back