Stanger Danger Advice?

Jess/mummyof2

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jess. My little guy Will is nearly 8 and hearing impaired by half in each ear... I also have a profoundly deaf sister... She is a kind of loner and hates helping anyone. Lol... But this is about Will. He is VERY friendly towards people and could be way too trusting... I am absolutely terrifed of Stranger Danger and not sure how to go about "talking" to him about it... Looking for suggestions, experiences and anything really that people in his type of world/veiw could offer. How do I explain this without taking away his independence and not instilling fear of "everyone" in its place? Thankyou so much.

Thankyou so much for your reply. Firstly I take him to school. I will probably never allow him to go alone until he is in High School with some friends to help and watch over him. And some better communication skills on his part. I never thought of the fact that I am also quite friendly and happy around other people... That is a thought provoking comment, and I will try to think of a way to explain it is good to be friendly, but also to be aware and know that they connot be completely trusted like his family that love him very much, and have no desire to hurt him. I will watch the link now.

Thankyou so much for your reply. Firstly I take him to school. I will probably never allow him to go alone until he is in High School with some friends to help and watch over him. And some better communication skills on his part. I never thought of the fact that I am also quite friendly and happy around other people... That is a thought provoking comment, and I will try to think of a way to explain it is good to be friendly, but also to be aware and know that they connot be completely trusted like his family that love him very much, and have no desire to hurt him. I will watch the link now.
I was walking to school when I went to kindergarten I followed my older sister and once I knew the way I went alone. I am very friendly too and would talk to strangers when my daughter wasn't with me , I was to busy watching her and wasn't able to talk to people unless I was friend could hear my daughter if wandered away . This never did happen thanks goodness !

Firstly, the link was very helpful, thankyou and gave me more to think about. I have had a bit of a talk about private parts but he kind of sees them as a joke at the moment and knows if he pokes his sister somewhere rude she screams. Also finds breaking wind hilarious. However that may just be boy stuff. Lol. ...I will have to also do more and/or find some of those books to explain more about being touched and made feel uncomfortable. I was actually fearing abduction more and now sexual assault has been added to that list. I hadnt really thought of that yet either... With the walking with older sis, I dont know if I can completely trust her with him unfortunately. They fight alot and she doesnt seem to have much patience with him... Although at school she likes that her friends are interested in him and like to learn signs to try talk to him. So thats a start I guess. I wasnt overly interested in my sisters deafness growing up (maybe thats why shes grown up to be a bit solitary) ...and I vaguely remember getting annoyed with having to answer her questions while we watched TV. Although we do get along as adults now, shes just not interested in helping me with Will and has no kids of her own yet. I did tell a bully to leave her alone at the bus stop one day or he'd be in big trouble with big sis and her friends while she was at High School. So I guess judging from my own experiences I cant blame my daughter for getting frustrated and angry with him. Thanks very much for chatting with me. You are giving me lots of good food for thought about many things. And reminding me of my own experiences and shortcommings with a deaf sibling.

Firstly, the link was very helpful, thankyou and gave me more to think about. I have had a bit of a talk about private parts but he kind of sees them as a joke at the moment and knows if he pokes his sister somewhere rude she screams. Also finds breaking wind hilarious. However that may just be boy stuff. Lol. ...I will have to also do more and/or find some of those books to explain more about being touched and made feel uncomfortable. I was actually fearing abduction more and now sexual assault has been added to that list. I hadnt really thought of that yet either... With the walking with older sis, I dont know if I can completely trust her with him unfortunately. They fight alot and she doesnt seem to have much patience with him... Although at school she likes that her friends are interested in him and like to learn signs to try talk to him. So thats a start I guess. I wasnt overly interested in my sisters deafness growing up (maybe thats why shes grown up to be a bit solitary) ...and I vaguely remember getting annoyed with having to answer her questions while we watched TV. Although we do get along as adults now, shes just not interested in helping me with Will and has no kids of her own yet. I did tell a bully to leave her alone at the bus stop one day or he'd be in big trouble with big sis and her friends while she was at High School. So I guess judging from my own experiences I cant blame my daughter for getting frustrated and angry with him. Thanks very much for chatting with me. You are giving me lots of good food for thought about many things. And reminding me of my own experiences and shortcommings with a deaf sibling.
You're welcome , I hope I didn't give you too much food for thought. My nephew thought it was funny to break wind so yeah I would say this is more a boy thing which he
will outgrow . I am sure a bookstore or public library will have some books . The only way my 2 sisters and ex brother was interested in me being HOH was to call me
'deafie ' and made fun of speech defect when I was younger.

Siblings ay. They can be a bit cold and nasty to each other sometimes. I guess thats because we are in each others faces alot as frustrated kids/teenagers. Lol. I knew the farting thing was a boy thing... Most of them think thats pretty funny. Even my partner and his mates laugh about it when they do it in each others cars and elevators. Will definitely be checking some bookstores online now and on the look out. I enjoy reading so that should be easy for me. And no you havent freaked me out. Believe me, I have freaked out about sillier things. I just want to make sure he's safe. As all of us do with our kids. Especially ones that need a little extra help. I hope you have a good day and night and again. Thankyou very much for letting me chat your ear off. Its really nice to get to talk to someone that can understand why Im worried. Im not an overly social person and neither is Will. He is very attached to me and I dont want to let him down in his life.

. Will is very lucky to have a mom who looking out for him. This mom is heading to bed, hope you have a good night too !

Back