SSE or BSL

SuperChris

Reaction score
I know this is most USA member here but we have UK member too , i want question which you use signer language BSL or SSE ?

Signing with English basically. SSE stands for Sign Supported English

Signing with English basically. SSE stands for Sign Supported English

Figured it was something along those lines. Just couldn't think of what the acronym stood for. Thanks. :ty:

I know this is most USA member here but we have UK member too , i want question which you use signer language BSL or SSE ?

BSL is language in its own right while SSE is not.

It is mean SSE is proper english sign. BSL is not proper english sign.

When i in my primary school my sign language is SSE. I am full sign full proper english sentence sign. When i moved to second school (deaf school). I learn how to sign BSL. It is great because it short and easy, example i say " Tomorrow, i go shop". Also i remember when i sign too slow in primary school then when i go to second school. i am devleopment to fast signs because some people sign too fast for me lol

I would like to learn BSL someday. I saw a film in BSL and was surprised how much I understood.

Problem here is nobody uses it.

SuperChris;1492235[B said:
]It is mean SSE is proper english sign. BSL is not proper english sign.[/B]

When i in my primary school my sign language is SSE. I am full sign full proper english sentence sign. When i moved to second school (deaf school). I learn how to sign BSL. It is great because it short and easy, example i say " Tomorrow, i go shop". Also i remember when i sign too slow in primary school then when i go to second school. i am devleopment to fast signs because some people sign too fast for me lol

That's incorrect..SSE is manually coded derived from English while BSL is a separate language with its own syntax and grammar rules. It is not considered not proper English as it doesnt relate to English at all. Just like French and English arent related at all but we wouldnt call French inccorect English, wouldn't we? Same analogy for BSL.

I remember the local Mormon church was teaching Hmong to anyone who would learn it. They discontinued the project before I learned enough to be useful. Hmong, BTW uses classifiers just as ASL does.

While I was there a lady was trying to learn also. When the elder (Elders in the Mormon church are teenage kids doing a mission) explained something about the language the woman jumped up and said:

"That is not good English."

When it was pointed out to her that the Hmog people did not use English rules of grammar in their language she informed them:

"Then you should go over there and teach those people how to speak their language properly!"

I remember the local Mormon church was teaching Hmong to anyone who would learn it. They discontinued the project before I learned enough to be useful. Hmong, BTW uses classifiers just as ASL does.

While I was there a lady was trying to learn also. When the elder (Elders in the Mormon church are teenage kids doing a mission) explained something about the language the woman jumped up and said:

"That is not good English."

When it was pointed out to her that the Hmog people did not use English rules of grammar in their language she informed them:

"Then you should go over there and teach those people how to speak their language properly!"

:rofl:

Monolingualism at its best. Bet she's the type that would bash Canadian English or Australian English.

I think it's pretty safe to say that BSL is to ASL as SSE is to SEE II. I imagine a lot of folks use a mix of BSL and SSE or switch between the two a lot, kind of like in the U.S./Canada with ASL and PSE and SEE II?

I kinda use both BSL and SSE. depending which people I am with

Thank you, everyone hear, i am a neurodivergent hearer, jus started to learn BSL in Manchester, peace love n blessings,
i so want to translate my web site info, that is valuable for all of man/womankind, with multifaceted sensing abilities and communication skills, and to make my courses accessible to All, no mater the differences we have

Back