Spy on us???

deafsqrrl

Reaction score
Can Purple Communications or other VP company SPY on us deaf Videophone consumers - can they observe our VP conversations without our knowledge? I asked that question to the Purple technician. He said no and he looked down in the same time.

What he or she means that his behavior acting odd, as if he say "No" and immediately look down, he acting like he's not giving a honest answer.

To answer this question to Deafsqrrl, by law, it require to give consent to customers if they are going to "monitor" or "spy" as you say, in your conversation. Meaning, VRS must require to let the customer know they are going to monitor the conversation. If they don't, they are violating the "Wire Tapping Laws". So, all of the VRS companies know it's against the law to spy on someone. If VRS violated the laws, it going to happen like Viable. Shutdown.

The only sad part is the built in webcam on the laptop no longer have little light that showing if webcam is being use or live recording. Most of the webcam that sit on top of the monitor have little light showing the webcam is active. Then I'll know what's going on or why the webcam is running.

scary

Combine this with keyloggers and we are all the way in to Big Brother land,
well no mandatory wall monitor screen yet... I guess that is a way off. I think in about a year the computer is going to take a way back seat in my life. All these invasions into privacy, there is always one more step in some direction,
then another and another. As much as I love gizmos and futuristic things being a Luddite is calling to me.

deafsqrrl I have thought the same thing. I'm just not too keen on the idea of using VPs and I much prefer just webcam as I think it's good enough and less complicated for me.

The only sad part is the built in webcam on the laptop no longer have little light that showing if webcam is being use or live recording. Most of the webcam that sit on top of the monitor have little light showing the webcam is active. Then I'll know what's going on or why the webcam is running.

and thus why im glad my computer doesnt have a built in webcam!!!
*EQL*

Hi recently-arrived on here, may I add a comment about Luddism?
I think we could do him around now and again. He had a good point, i think. Part of my specialty at college, left me looking a tad left-wing after that. It hasn't gone away. The idea of being watched more for its own sake is crazy, but try to set the world back to a pre-CCTV era? No way, Jose! I don't know where I fit in with people world-wide but I know one thing: the Web sure as heck helps. See ya around. Mountainstream

Back