Spirituality

Hermes

Reaction score
I have got a question and a comment.

Question: I see new threads in religion subsection even though its still locked. Are they moved there?

Comment: I understand why that section was locked but how about spirituality? Are we going to lock any thread concerning spirituality thinking it might start a religious flame war? I have got a suggestion. How about taking the religion out of that sections name and re-opening it as Spirituality sub section? Most of the heat was coming from posts against Christianity , but the world is not all about organized religions and there are many aspects of spirituality that can leave a positive effect on people that is now being censored.

If there are people who can not respect organized religions , then keep the religion part out of forums . Neither people have to attack organized religions nor religious people have to feel obligated to bring their religion into conversation every time they see words like soul, spirit, life, creator. Why do we think everything spirituality is either about following or attacking a religion?

There are tons of teaching and philosophies that may concern spirituality but has got nothing to do with todays religions. Today I cant talk about some parts of the Cicero's philosophy here because he talks about spirit and life. Same goes for Plato and many other Greek and Roman philosophers. I cant talk about ancient Egypt and their views because they also will say Gods, soul, creator etc.. Same goes for eastern philosophies. All these examples has got nothing to do with organized religions but we still worry some people can pick a word here and a word there and turn it into religion - anti religion debate.

Can we lift the ban for spiritual talk? Lets leave three organized religions out of it and have access to thousand different subjects out there. Lets try it once.

Thank You
Hermes

I don't mind to accept it, but it is up to Alex to okay it or not. You may discuss this with him thru PM first and see what he says ? Hmm ? :)

I remember he said in another thread about findin' 2 or 3 more new moderators - I am not exactly sure if, he means when he finds them and then, set up your own thread " Spirituality " -- or what ever you want your thread to be called. I am hopin' that Alex and the moderators will discuss in their private meetin' and make an agreement on somethin' to deal with flamin' wars, name callin' and such to ban or suspend for not followin' the rules.

Good luck. :)

I have got a question and a comment.

Question: I see new threads in religion subsection even though its still locked. Are they moved there?

Yes it is moved there.

Comment: I understand why that section was locked but how about spirituality? Are we going to lock any thread concerning spirituality thinking it might start a religious flame war? I have got a suggestion. How about taking the religion out of that sections name and re-opening it as Spirituality sub section? Most of the heat was coming from posts against Christianity , but the world is not all about organized religions and there are many aspects of spirituality that can leave a positive effect on people that is now being censored.

First of all, I want to point out that; Even though the spirituality and Christianity are 2 separate thing, They also do have the same purpose by going hand in hand. Why is that? It is because one would take a stance on spirituality while another will have a clash on the christianity.

You're right, the world is not all about organized religions. Yet, when one takes a defense stand on it, that usually turns out to be ugly and at most, it does spiral out of control.

The problem is, A lot of people are out there to mis-interpret the concept.

Now, Can you exactly expand the idea of how positive it would be on people if spirituality were to be hand in hand among with other things?

If there are people who can not respect organized religions , then keep the religion part out of forums . Neither people have to attack organized religions nor religious people have to feel obligated to bring their religion into conversation every time they see words like soul, spirit, life, creator. Why do we think everything spirituality is either about following or attacking a religion?

For one, The problem is - When spirituality comes in a topic, It tends to sway to the religion issue. As everyone knows, it always brings the personal/emotional attachment when one gets to have a say in it. Having religion and spiritually discussions is always a pretty sensitive topic when if they can't keep their own personal views out of it.

There are tons of teaching and philosophies that may concern spirituality but has got nothing to do with todays religions. Today I cant talk about some parts of the Cicero's philosophy here because he talks about spirit and life. Same goes for Plato and many other Greek and Roman philosophers. I cant talk about ancient Egypt and their views because they also will say Gods, soul, creator etc.. Same goes for eastern philosophies. All these examples has got nothing to do with organized religions but we still worry some people can pick a word here and a word there and turn it into religion - anti religion debate.

Can we lift the ban for spiritual talk? Lets leave three organized religions out of it and have access to thousand different subjects out there. Lets try it once.

Thank You
Hermes

Well, If one were to discuss philosophies, That is fine. The thing is, It often links the discussion to a religion conflict. Now, I know it has nothing to do with the religion itself but like I said, if it were to get in hand to hand with that, that also sways into another issue. Granted, History has always had a big part of the spirituality/religion stance and unfortunately, as we can see, it has created a lot of conflicts which results into wars, so and on.

Remember, It's not just only about 3 organized religions. There are a lot more to it than these 3. It is about how we need to get to the core of the discussion and to pinpoint it rather than having an abstract to it. The question is, How do we keep it separate while it still has the concept of how one can be played? For one to refute or to validate their debate, it has to be structured, and not based on the personal views.

I love talking about spirituality, philosophy and religion. It's a passion of mine and have been studying it for over 20 years. I enjoy sharing my insights and experiences on what spirituality and religion has done for my life. I even understand the atheist and agnostic perspective because I too have been in those shoes.

That's too bad that the religious forum has been shut down (right?). If it is going to be re-opened, I suggest that it be called "Religion and Spirituality" as those two go hand in hand. And maybe sub-categories below that such as: spirituality, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Paganism and Other. Doing so, would help people be more choosy on which topics they which to participate and be around others that follow the same beliefs as their own.

As for flame-throwers, they should not ever be tolerated and not be the cause of censorship. Rather they should be banned or suspended. We do not have the time to educate people that refuse to listen and not treat others with respect, tolerance and acceptance. Their own beliefs should not be shoved down other's throats. If they are not going to be mature on here, then they shouldn't be allowed to post. How simple can that be?

I truly believe that this is a very valuable section that should not be taken away from the Deaf community. I have learnt that since I've studied Hinduism for the past several years how so few people in the deaf community know or practice this way of life. I happened to find one deaf person on YouTube that practices this way of life, and we became instant friends.

Imagine the possibilities if we could reach out with other members that share the same path and how much more we could share and help each other understand spiritual concepts better.

It could also be a great way to recommend books to help foster our own spiritual growth. I have so many great recommendations to share as I'm an avid reader on spiritual, religious and philosophical topics.

I strongly encourage that this Spiritual and Religious section be re-opened with strict rules on behavior and warn people that they will be banned if they do not abide to the AD's rules.

I agree with Dakini's comment. I think it is a wonderful suggestion. Also we need to open our minds and our hearts and will learn a lot and profit from it.

I'm afraid these topics, now in the archives, apparently to never re-appear and relegated to the dustbin of history. All because some people don't know how to behave....sad

Religious forum need pull out of on-topic debate section and make dedicated section or under our world section to prevent any negative against religious.

Debate is ok, depends on situation and if any questions or discuss without negative is fine.

I think anyone whoever make negative against religious stuff need to be kicked out instead of ban in entire of forum.

Just my two cents.

Religious forum need pull out of on-topic debate section and make dedicated section or under our world section to prevent any negative against religious.

Debate is ok, depends on situation and if any questions or discuss without negative is fine.

I think anyone whoever make negative against religious stuff need to be kicked out instead of ban in entire of forum.

Just my two cents.

I agree; ban the individual(s), not the thread.

Just my two cents.

Yes, you are exactly right..
Debate is good as long you keep it decent and if anybody gets
out of line, should get kicked out, period like you said, not the whole
thread. Everybody should agree to disagree without getting angry.
If you dont agree, then dont say anything if it makes you angry, thats
all. I learn the hard way myself, cuz im guillty of it in the past. Its not
good to get angry with others cuz it cuz i realize every
body's opinion will never be the same as mine. Everybody's religions
are different so of course they are going to have different views and
opinions, thats life.

Whatever any of us believe we love and respect what we believe in, right? What we believe in wants us to love and respect ourselves, right? Why can't we love and respect one another???? My thought is that the Human species has to have control of everything, in order to have control of their own lives.... (examples) Religion, other human beings, animals, healthcare,the environment,wealth, poverty,education, opportunity, life, death....

Whatever any of us believe we love and respect what we believe in, right? What we believe in wants us to love and respect ourselves, right? Why can't we love and respect one another???? My thought is that the Human species has to have control of everything, in order to have control of their own lives.... (examples) Religion, other human beings, animals, healthcare,the environment,wealth, poverty,education, opportunity, life, death....

What happened to Taxes? :lol:

And maybe sub-categories below that such as: spirituality, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Paganism and Other. Doing so, would help people be more choosy on which topics they which to participate and be around others that follow the same beliefs as their own.

I agree. I would like to see sub-categories be made for Spirituality, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and others for ADers to go and share their education, experiences, and where they came from. It would be nice for ALL ADers to go to where they believe in and share their own belief in a specific thread. I don't want the ADers to go across to another thread where their beliefs don't belong and cause friction or problems that will lead to lock thread up. I want to see them to respect each other's beliefs and leave it be. If, they would like to go across to another thread where their beliefs don't belong and just want to read what they each thread have their own sayings, then that would be fine. Just let the ADers decide for themselves which thread ( religion ) is right for them. IF, they want to explore more deeper, they can read ALL of "religion" threads and try to research through Google or any other information source to give some answers which one is true and accurate for them -- it's rather than creatin' some flamin' wars, or personal attacks, and so on. This "religion" sub-categories are for education purpose. This is what the AllDeaf Forum is for.

I truly believe that this is a very valuable section that should not be taken away from the Deaf community.

I second that. :)

it's one of the reasons why AD outlasts most of deaf forums out there :dunno:

Maybe so but then again, AD now has this whole cadre of mods now....to suspend individuals rather than threads. I question whether or not "most deaf forums" went belly up because of religion.....

Maybe so but then again, AD now has this whole cadre of mods now....to suspend individuals rather than threads. I question whether or not "most deaf forums" went belly up because of religion.....

you're still here so...... :drunk:

Back