Speechreading help ?

Anij

Reaction score
This is probably an odd question coming from me ... (who was oral, before sign etc._

does anyone have any speechreading tips/websites ??

I used to be much better at it (I thought) ... but lately I've gotten lazy about it - I sign more, have interpreters in class, use my HA more ... and my speechreading skills have gone WAY down.

I never took any formal classes or anything when I was growing up ... suggestions, help ??

Thanks

Find a friend and videotape them speaking NORMALLY at the camera. Play it back without sound (that'd be cheating :D) and test yourself.

I grew up in Rochester, NY but currently live in Northern England (til next week) and I found that it is very hard for me to speechread British people. I do much better with the people who sound like me. It makes sense cos they make sounds same as I do.

Your best bet though is to find a place to take good formal classes.

Find a friend and videotape them speaking NORMALLY at the camera. Play it back without sound (that'd be cheating :D) and test yourself.

I grew up in Rochester, NY but currently live in Northern England (til next week) and I found that it is very hard for me to speechread British people. I do much better with the people who sound like me. It makes sense cos they make sounds same as I do.

I know - I really should see if I can take a class ... but I don't want people to think I want to be hearinginthehead ... you know??

I'd prefer to just sign - but my sister won't learn :( she's too busy, and my dbs keep dropping

Anij -

Cued English skills may be of benefit to you, there are workshops in Canada.

actually I was thinking of learning to Cue for Hebrew and Greek class ... I just have to do some research and find out if any of the terps here are ASL&cue

That's how it usually is for those who are deaf. They cannot always pick up differences in sounds. So, they grow up accustomed to the English language (or the language they're used to).

I had a couple deaf friends who were Hispanic. They grew up with Hispanic families. They speak and understand Spanish very well, but they had a hard time understanding English unless it was in ASL. The reason for that was because they grew up getting used to accents and the way the Spanish language is spoken.

This also applies to a few deaf Asians I knew as well.

Oh yeah, the most common voice that pretty much everyone is accustomed to is... their mom's voice (or their dad's). I have a friend who can only understand her mom's voice on the phone and no one else.

Back