Speaking clearly

DBJ1990

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this website and my name is David.

I am asking anyone on here if they have got any advice/tips with communicating properly, for example, speaking clearly and not mumbling such as lip movements that other people can see on my lips and make out what I am saying and pronunciation.

I appreciate any comments that would be helpful. Thank you

My comment won't be helpful at all but I just wanted to let you know that I often wonder the very same thing. I mean, would I be able to speak better if I found somebody who was competent and capable of giving me the right tips?
As for me, when people don't understand me I just try and speak more slowly, that's not a great solution but I noticed it'll usually help a little bit.

I have speech therapy when I feel my speech is starting to get harder to understand . The only problem there are not many speech therapists that give private lessons where I live anymore.

I gave up on this a long time ago! I used to get worked up everytime I spoke because I was worried people will not understand me. They still dont so I have given up on speaking to people unless I really have to!

Im new too. I had good enough hearing as a child that I was picking up speech and developed a "normal" (quotes as to what us truly normal?) Voice. My ex girlfriend has an implant and she had a "deaf" voice. My experiences with hearing loss is that everything sounds as it should and I will meet the person at where they are at and consider that the greatest thing to hear. I hope overtime you improve at what you want and meet your goal.

I wonder if the OP is a hearing guy asking how he can be easier for deaf people to lip read?

That's what I thought they where talking about. Wonder if they are coming back?

I am asking anyone on here if they have got any advice/tips with communicating properly, for example, speaking clearly and not mumbling such as lip movements that other people can see on my lips and make out what I am saying and pronunciation.

You sound like a hearing person who are interest in knowing that deaf and hard of hearing can talk clearly.

No way would we talk clearly as we can not hear the sound. I have noticed that some hard of hearing people think that they talk clearly which is not quite true. When you have a hearing aid or CI, you don't hear the sounds of your voice that clearly. It is not the mumble that they speak. They talked loud and not have the hearing accent, only deaf accent. I have deaf accent and I do talk loudly that some people cringed at me, even my sister get upset at my talking too loud. That is the Deaf way. That is why we used ASL without voice to communicate without making voice noises.

Practice talking in the mirror so you can see how your mouth moves maybe? That way you can actually see if it's hard to read your lips or not.

You sound like a hearing person who are interest in knowing that deaf and hard of hearing can talk clearly.

No way would we talk clearly as we can not hear the sound. I have noticed that some hard of hearing people think that they talk clearly which is not quite true. When you have a hearing aid or CI, you don't hear the sounds of your voice that clearly. It is not the mumble that they speak. They talked loud and not have the hearing accent, only deaf accent. I have deaf accent and I do talk loudly that some people cringed at me, even my sister get upset at my talking too loud. That is the Deaf way. That is why we used ASL without voice to communicate without making voice noises.

I can't hear myself speak and I do speak clearly unless I'm tired. I can tell the difference when my speech is clear and when it's not, but that's due to many years of speech therapy. It's work to talk clearly, a lot of brain work and it falters when I'm tired or sick. I sometimes wish I didn't speak clearly because I always have to stop and explain to people that I'm deaf and I don't know what they are saying.

Some people are just hard to lipread. Their upper lips don't move much when they speak.

I can't hear myself speak and I do speak clearly unless I'm tired. I can tell the difference when my speech is clear and when it's not, but that's due to many years of speech therapy. It's work to talk clearly, a lot of brain work and it falters when I'm tired or sick. I sometimes wish I didn't speak clearly because I always have to stop and explain to people that I'm deaf and I don't know what they are saying.

Some people are just hard to lipread. Their upper lips don't move much when they speak.

If you don't mind me asking, were you hearing in the past? How come you can speak clearly and some (most, I guess...) of us can't?

see a speech therapist. ask an audiologist for a referral.

If you don't mind me asking, were you hearing in the past? How come you can speak clearly and some (most, I guess...) of us can't?

I was classified as profoundly HoH from childhood, had 10 years of speech therapy, and mostly it's due to luck. I lipread better than average too. I can't remember the last time I heard voices.

Eater, my hub is very similar to you in relation to speech, though he never had any speech therapy<and I had lots>.
He doesn't hear himself anymore.

I am at the point where I do not hear my voice, the shower if my hearing aid is out. I hsve good speech due to good hearing in my left ear as a child but my ex gf she is the opposit (and likr many other oral deaf people I have met). It always pisses meoff when I hear someobe struggling with speech - I think, "parents, audiologists, doctors...what are you thinking by trying to force something that cannot be understood by the individual? Why have them struggle so tbat they may act normal but ultimately not feel normal? You insesnitive surface-level thinking idiots."

- I was on a tablet so edited for clarity. Did not censor.

Last edited:
Back