Sound Proofing rooms for Deaf Freedom from Hearing complaints

Booger_Bender

Amara Ambassador
Reaction score
I just had an idea. After the many years of constant complaints of noise which Deaf can't help much even the most conscious Deaf people have this problem; it's time we consider sound proofing important parts of the house such as the Bedroom or kitchen. This way any hearing neighbor or roommate can't complain about Deaf people trying to live, eat, enjoy life. It should be a mandatory thing for Deaf people to have a sound proofed home.
your thoughts?

keep it clean and respect everyone. Thanks.

I have soft close hinges in my kitchen. Impossible to slam a drawer closed. My mother once admitted to me. She always knew when I was home, even on night when I got home late and was trying to be super quiet as I was past curfew. It was the front door, kitchen cabinets, and my walking that gave me away.

Never realized how loud I was when I was in the kitchen cooking...banging pots and pans!

My fav place to go to is in the SCIF at work, If no one in it, I'll just slip in my AC/DC cd in non-classified computer, crank up the volume and press plaaaaaaay..THEN I'll SCREAM....aaaaaaayyyyyayayayayyyyyy! Not one person can hear anything from outside of the SCIF...awesome!

Sound-proofing my home....:hmm: :giggle: ....My boys get by with a lot of noise, and they are hearing....but after 10pm....everything is quiet around here. People having to go to work early in the AM...

What type of "noises" do you make? I do remember a pair of heels that I wore once. And was told that I sounded like a "horse clopping along"....because I did not pick up my feet....threw the heels away and don't wear them.

I wonder if anybody ever successfully sneaked back into their house/room late at night and not have your hearing parents hear you come in? And in the morning they ask you, "When did you come home? I didn't hear you last night!"

:)

In my house, it's impossible to do anything, breathing is even loud. For Deaf people why must we all get yelled at for living?
While i love my fiancee ( who's hearing ) it's just wrong to blame me for every time i wake her up even for the slightest of things. This morning it was about moving my chair on the carpet ( while trying to sit at my desk.

In my house, it's impossible to do anything, breathing is even loud. For Deaf people why must we all get yelled at for living?
While i love my fiancee ( who's hearing ) it's just wrong to blame me for every time i wake her up even for the slightest of things. This morning it was about moving my chair on the carpet ( while trying to sit at my desk.

I am sure you love her dearly. But if she is becoming unreasonable, maybe it's time for something new? After all, it is a new year! :)

Maybe she's a "light sleeper?"....A good set of ear plugs might solve her dilemma, if she thinks ur too noisey. Doesn't seem like the chair moving "on the carpet" would make that much noise. You do have padding underneath the carpet don't ya?....I could undy it if it was on a hardwood floor....

you contact tell stop people something something inappropriate because inmate because sound!

sound look likes many problems serious on kind co-work or roommate because reason issues kindly

wish be locked on deaf locked sometimes on IMO reason

I am not experience different

I already screaming to yell sometimes roommates also I experiment to quality roommate!

You really need a new family.

With any luck a deaf family.

Well, as much as it is not our fault for not hearing, it is not their fault for having sensitive ears.

Try to see it from her perspective- she is trying to sleep, she is falling into sweet dream only to be suddenly rudely awaken from it.

Although I am not hearing, I am very sensitive to light and movement (and vibrations) so when my husband as much as moves his own blanket
it produces an air wave and wakes me up.
Three waves, and I am wide awake, po-ed for good hf hr trying to fall back asleep.

So I get your GF.

In my childhood home, we were always taught to do things softly and carefully when someone was sleeping.
That included pulling our chairs, pots, dishes and other stuff very softly
so they didn't make a sound,
and tiptoeing not waking as usual.
And talk in whisper, not our regular voice.

So - I dunno, how did you pulled out this chair - as usual, or did you took under consideration your GF is sleeping, and did it carefully and softly?

As for soundproofing the house from neighbours - here's an idea, lol
I saw it on some forum re: playing music loud in apartment blocks.

soundproofing foam:
http://thetfs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/sound-proofing-foam-rubber.jpg

cheaper but poorer quality soundproofing with colored egg carton:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ecCDGii_I...ZI/mV7XNW0kv8Y/s640/Soundproofing+Panel+1.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_RzbVbx_mJ-0/SXC14UxNWiI/AAAAAAAAIMs/3xv903YGu-s/image069.jpg

however, please read about egg cartoon soundproof efficacy:
Do Egg Cartons Really Help Soundproof A Room ?

Fuzzy

Well, as much as it is not our fault for not hearing, it is not their fault for having sensitive ears.

Try to see it from her perspective- she is trying to sleep, she is falling into sweet dream only to be suddenly rudely awaken from it.

It's all good. It's just those things in the morning. I wanna eat however, I don't eat prepared goods. I cook. In fact, I'm the only one who knows how to cook in that family except for her mother. I rely on independently cooking breakfast. usually people should be up around 9am that's two hours before noon. Hence the whole idea to just skip breakfast all together because, I don't know how to be quiet. I don't have pitch sence since I never had any in my life.

I just wait until she's awake then I start cooking. Usually that solves the problem. She's a Facebook fan and stays up late. I'm not on Facebook and go to bed early-ish depending on how i felt. Our lives are different. I'd love to blame it on Facebook but, that would be mean and insensitive.

I don't know how to be quiet. I don't have pitch sence since I never had any in my life.

I know what you mean. I don't have the sense either, but I learned this -
if the stuff doesn't touch each other, then usually it's all good.

Try opening the cabinet doors slowly and then don't shut the doors,
instead close them slowly making the door touch the frame softly.
Pull out the pots gently, without touching anything on the way.
Set them on the stove the way you closed the cabinet doors - slowly, gently.

If you make scrambled eggs, for example - break an egg firmly yet gently
on something that would make least noise,
for example set a tea towel on the counter top then a cup
and then break a shell over the tea cup - it make less noise somehow.
Prolly b/c the cup and the counter-top don't react so much.

Then when you scramble the eggs - use rather wooden spoon and try not to
bang it around but slowly move it without picking it up from the pot- it also
make less sound when you keep it in one continuous movement.
But that's not that necessary.

I think what would be really helpful - experimenting together with your GF
how to use stuff, appliances, move about and all in order to make the least amount of sound.
I believe it is all in the touch.

After all - think - remember these scenes in the movies when a burglar breaks into a home with people sleeping inside?
they steal stuff without making a sound.
So, it IS possible to move w/o making a slightest sound :)

Practice makes perfect I suppose. And a happy relationship :)

BTW this is SO GREAT you can and like ? cooking!
Personally, I hate it!

Fuzzy

I'm experiencing the same problem too, even with my CI's on or not. when my ears are off, i sign and talk to my parents and they would tell me to stop yelling and i wouldn't notice myself raising my voice as i'm talking. And when my family is asleep I would go in the kitchen to get a drink and i try to be quiet as much as possible but my dad always manages to wake up and come into my room and yell at me about how much noise i'm making and i would try to respond to him back saying i'm trying to be quiet as much as possible but he would always yell at me back saying "SHUT UP!" and apparently i whisper loud. *sigh* :roll:

When i listen to music in my room, i have to turn it up a little bit loud because i can't hear the beat, and my sister would complain about how much noise i'm making in my room and one of my parents of course as usual would come to yell at me and tell me to use my audio cable. I don't like to use it all the time, I only use the cable when i'm in school to listen to music like during an individual work time in class or during lunch or whatever.

I try to be quiet in the house because I know i can't hear things. It's becoming annoying that my dad yells at me all the time because i make loud noises when i have the ears off. but I can't help it most of the time. Half the time i don't even notice myself making loud noises such as whispering loud or moving stuff around or flipping the pages. UGHH!

For those living in apartments, live on the first floor, and think about building walls that don't touch the actual walls of the apartment as a sound barrier. You can take it further to build a building inside of a building. Decouple the inside floor from the actual floor by building the floor and up on top of rubber blocks. Make sure the inner building doesn't touch the actual building except on the rubber blocks.

Another thing you could do is buy a large travel trailer that your vehicle could pull (or hire one of the guys at the travel trailer lot to pull it for you) and live in an RV park. I've done this before, for several years, and I'm looking at getting back into it to make myself more mobile (it does mean putting most of my stuff into storage, however).

It seems like the real issue is what hours to keep. It's very common for a night owl and an early bird to have these issues. Ya'll can work it out. You need to accomodate each other.

It is very common for us, Deafies, to make a lot of noises whether in the house or apartment. Lots of time, we did not know we make noises. My son when he was growing up never told me that I make noises around him. Never thought of that.

I did notice on one movie about the hearing woman who had Deaf parents who make noises and everything around her made noises (meaning living in the city not the suburb). When she went into the Church by herself alone. She was shocked that the church itself was very quiet. That was a total different world for her to find out that her Deaf parents are quiet in their hearings, but make a lot of noises without hearing the sounds. She understood why Deaf people can not hear the sounds at all (without hearing aids or CIs). There are times we can feel the vibrations from very loud sounds usually in the city (downtown) and even in loud music environment like bars. I can not stop making myself quiet. I will always make loud noises no matter what. The hearing people have to learn to live with that. :roll:

I think it is possible to meet halfway, though.

Hearing people can not help they hear, and deaf people can not help they don't.

Since I happen to have migraine and noise is very strong trigger for me,
I can understand hearing people very well on their POV.

I can also understand deaf people for I make a lot of noise myself w/o realizing that.

I also know why being deaf is not necessarily an excuse not to learn how to be soft and quiet.
My hubby who is hearing is such an elephant in the china shop!
There is no teaching this man how to tiptoe or whisper or open the closet door gently :eek3:
After over a quarter century together and of constant scolding and begging and reminding, this man is incorrigible!
He still tromps throughout a house like a buffalo while everyone else is sleeping, or bangs the pan on the stove while making his hash browns :/

So, the skill of being quiet is in the mind not in the ears.

I don't hear myself whisper, for example. I FEEL myself to whisper.
I simply learned how to do that by observing how does it feel to whisper
as opposed to talk normal.
I know in order to walk quietly I need to tiptoe.
I know in order to avoid making loud clatter,
I need to set down the articles slowly and softly.
It is simply the law of physic applied here- it's the air that escapes between the two surfaces that makes the sound. The greater the force, the faster the air escapes- the louder the sound.
Let the air move away slowly and it won't make a sound.

Then there are things that I can not overcome.
For example some floorboards creak in my home. Some I can feel, some I can not.
Can't hear when the microwave buzzer goes off. Also the stove's one.

Oh well. That's the half- way meet I am talking about :)

Fuzzy

You really need a new family.

With any luck a deaf family.

I wish that could be possible however, where I live there's no deaf culture without driving 2 cities away. I'm the only deaf person in my entire family. Not only that, where I currently live there's no family that lives here. They're all in west coast that do not travel and can't leave their hometown. I left my hometown because of too many ignorant hearing people who bash on Deaf people for no good reason. I grew up in Pebble Beach, California. You can understand now that no Deaf person could live there, not even visit without some kind of flak from the public.

I live in NY now and I am the only person here. Still not much support though people are nicer here.

Back