Sound and Fury...The Cochlear Conflict

Emmer

Reaction score
This is long, so if you don't feel like reading, you can comment summary section below.

Summary: I have to write a paper on my view of the cochlear implant after watching Sound and Fury in my ASL class. My view is that cochlear implants forced on deaf children of hearing parents is wrong. Allowing a child to get a cochlear implant while still immersing him in his own Deaf culture is a much better idea.

- ~ - ~ -​

Okay, get ready. I had to write a paper on cochlear implants after watching Sound and Fury in my ASL class. It was supposed to be a paragraph or two explaining how we felt about the issue, but there was no way I could narrow all of what I think into just a couple paragraphs. So if the prof wants to take off points for it being too long, then she can go ahead, because I want to say what needs to be said.

So, I'd like to hear your opinions. I know this can be a touchy subject, and I wasn't even able to cover all of the aspects of it (such as the fact that a child really doesn't have the ability to make such a huge decision to change his life at such a young age, and thus has no choice in the matter but is forced to change who he is against his will). But I would love comments and feedback. Do you agree? Disagree? Agree with some and disagree with other? Let me have it - rotten tomatoes and all!

The Cochlear Conflict

To many hearing, the cochlear implant sounds like a “miracle,” the deaf can be “normal” and fit into the world where ¬¬¬they live. Hearies think that deafness is a disability, limiting life, because the Deaf appear to be “missing” something they have – the ability to hear. Hearies think that Deaf are “broken” and must be “fixed.” No wonder they are so excited about this “cure” for deafness, they want everyone to be exactly like them.

The cochlear implant is not the first thing that “normal” people tried to force onto a culture that was different, which to them meant, “wrong.” From the Crusades to the Nazis to the invasion of numerous remote communities throughout the world, it happens over and over again. Throughout life, people have tried to force their ways onto other cultures because they believe their ways are superior. The truth is, we are all equal, and should accept cultures as they are rather than force our ways onto them. In fact, as proven in some Amazon tribes, forcing our ways onto other cultures without taking the time to learn about them first can be a disaster.

But how does implanting the cochlear to “fix” deafness differ from Hitler’s attempt to make the perfect race? Where do you draw the line, if “fixing” the Deaf is okay, then what about “fixing” the Autistics? What about skin color differences, why not find a way to make everyone the same skin color? What about eye color or hair color? Is one superior to another? Eventually, you are going to end up with a bunch of replicas with no diversity.

The truth is, that deafness is not a disability, it is merely a difference. Hearies should learn to understand that deafies are just as capable as hearies. Just as different cultures around the world use various languages and all feel the most comfortable talking in their own language (or their heart language), Deafies feel most comfortable talking in their own language – which is a spatial non-verbal language. Some hearies don’t understand that sign language like ASL gives the same ability to communicate as any oral language. Just because it is different doesn’t mean it is bad or wrong.

Hearing parents who have deaf children often become desperate to “fix” their child as if he is “broken,” rather than accept him just as he is. There are many parents in America who adopt a child of a different race or country than their own. But most of these families take the time to learn about the culture of their new child. Why can’t parents who are given the opportunity to raise a deaf child do the same? Learn the child’s language, help him discover his own culture, introduce him to others like him; all of these would be so beneficial for a deaf child.

Watching Sound and Fury, I admired the Deaf family who allowed their daughter to get the cochlear, but still kept her very involved in the Deaf community: she attended a Deaf school, she made Deaf and hearing friends, and she was allowed continue signing as she learned to speak. Inclusion in both cultures is very important.

At the same time, I was disgusted by the mother who had her infant child implanted and then planned to enroll him into an oral-only school. There are so many things wrong with that situation. First, when he is older, will he think he wasn’t good enough the way he was born? Not to mention that this obviously already made the existing Deaf family members feel this way (don’t even get me started on hearing grandma, while watching, I really wanted to punch her). Will he ever learn to communicate in a language so different from his own? Will he identify with neither the hearing nor the Deaf as he isn’t exactly hearing, but he is no longer deaf either? They seem so concerned that he be able to learn oral language while he is young and it is easier to learn language, but why are they not concerned that he will not learn ASL as a child when the time is best to learn?

The question I would ask of all hearing people, especially those parents of deaf children is, if you had a child who had a different hair color, would you have surgery to replace their hair with a color more like yours? What if a hearing child was born of a deaf family, and they really wanted a deaf child, would it be right to make the child deaf so he fit with his family? If not, then why is it okay to do the reverse - to change who a deaf child is to make him fit into his hearing family? Why do the Deaf have to do all the work: reading our lips, speaking our language, living in our world of invisible noise and trying to adapt? Truth is, deafness isn’t a disability; it only becomes one when living among a world of hearing who refuse to understand the Deaf. Why can’t we move toward them and meet them where they are. Learn their language, ask about their culture, accept them as perfect – just the way they are, even if that means they are different than us.

Last edited:
Uh oh...i can see this getting locked.

There are many threads about this subject. Feel free to look at them. Enjoy

This is long, so if you don't feel like reading, you can comment on the section after the bold summary section.

Okay, get ready. I had to write a paper on cochlear implants after watching Sound and Fury in my ASL class. It was supposed to be a paragraph or two explaining how we felt about the issue, but there was no way I could narrow all of what I think into just a couple paragraphs. So if the prof wants to take off points for it being too long, then she can go ahead, because I want to say what needs to be said.

So, I'd like to hear your opinions. I know this can be a touchy subject, and I wasn't even able to cover all of the aspects of it (such as the fact that a child really doesn't have the ability to make such a huge decision to change his life at such a young age, and thus has no choice in the matter but is forced to change who he is against his will). But I would love comments and feedback. Do you agree? Disagree? Agree with some and disagree with other? Let me have it - rotten tomatoes and all!

Summary: Cochlear implants forced on deaf children of hearing parents is wrong. Allowing a child to get a cochlear implant while still immersing him in his own Deaf culture is a much better idea.

The Cochlear Conflict

To many hearing, the cochlear implant sounds like a “miracle,” the deaf can be “normal” and fit into the world where ¬¬¬they live. Hearies think that deafness is a disability, limiting life, because the Deaf appear to be “missing” something they have – the ability to hear. Hearies think that Deaf are “broken” and must be “fixed.” No wonder they are so excited about this “cure” for deafness, they want everyone to be exactly like them.

The cochlear implant is not the first thing that “normal” people tried to force onto a culture that was different, which to them meant, “wrong.” From the Crusades to the Nazis to the invasion of numerous remote communities throughout the world, it happens over and over again. Throughout life, people have tried to force their ways onto other cultures because they believe their ways are superior. The truth is, we are all equal, and should accept cultures as they are rather than force our ways onto them. In fact, as proven in some Amazon tribes, forcing our ways onto other cultures without taking the time to learn about them first can be a disaster.

But how does implanting the cochlear to “fix” deafness differ from Hitler’s attempt to make the perfect race? Where do you draw the line, if “fixing” the Deaf is okay, then what about “fixing” the Autistics? What about skin color differences, why not find a way to make everyone the same skin color? What about eye color or hair color? Is one superior to another? Eventually, you are going to end up with a bunch of replicas with no diversity.

The truth is, that deafness is not a disability, it is merely a difference. Hearies should learn to understand that deafies are just as capable as hearies. Just as different cultures around the world use various languages and all feel the most comfortable talking in their own language (or their heart language), Deafies feel most comfortable talking in their own language – which is a spatial non-verbal language. Some hearies don’t understand that sign language like ASL gives the same ability to communicate as any oral language. Just because it is different doesn’t mean it is bad or wrong.

Hearing parents who have deaf children often become desperate to “fix” their child as if he is “broken,” rather than accept him just as he is. There are many parents in America who adopt a child of a different race or country than their own. But most of these families take the time to learn about the culture of their new child. Why can’t parents who are given the opportunity to raise a deaf child do the same? Learn the child’s language, help him discover his own culture, introduce him to others like him; all of these would be so beneficial for a deaf child.

Watching Sound and Fury, I admired the Deaf family who allowed their daughter to get the cochlear, but still kept her very involved in the Deaf community: she attended a Deaf school, she made Deaf and hearing friends, and she was allowed continue signing as she learned to speak. Inclusion in both cultures is very important.

At the same time, I was disgusted by the mother who had her infant child implanted and then planned to enroll him into an oral-only school. There are so many things wrong with that situation. First, when he is older, will he think he wasn’t good enough the way he was born? Not to mention that this obviously already made the existing Deaf family members feel this way (don’t even get me started on hearing grandma, while watching, I really wanted to punch her). Will he ever learn to communicate in a language so different from his own? Will he identify with neither the hearing nor the Deaf as he isn’t exactly hearing, but he is no longer deaf either? They seem so concerned that he be able to learn oral language while he is young and it is easier to learn language, but why are they not concerned that he will not learn ASL as a child when the time is best to learn?

The question I would ask of all hearing people, especially those parents of deaf children is, if you had a child who had a different hair color, would you have surgery to replace their hair with a color more like yours? What if a hearing child was born of a deaf family, and they really wanted a deaf child, would it be right to make the child deaf so he fit with his family? If not, then why is it okay to do the reverse - to change who a deaf child is to make him fit into his hearing family? Why do the Deaf have to do all the work: reading our lips, speaking our language, living in our world of invisible noise and trying to adapt? Truth is, deafness isn’t a disability; it only becomes one when living among a world of hearing who refuse to understand the Deaf. Why can’t we move toward them and meet them where they are. Learn their language, ask about their culture, accept them as perfect – just the way they are, even if that means they are different than us.

Here's a link to the posts made by DoubleTrouble, the mother of the little boy in the film. Maybe you could read through them to get an idea of how it all worked out...
http://www.alldeaf.com/search.php?searchid=5252895

We're all familiar with this. You need to read all of the threads here about CI. You'll find plenty of ideas.

All of you guys are misunderstood. Emmer wrote this for ASL class and Emmer wanted to show you guys what he/she wrote. he/she doesn't ask for ideas. he/she asked for feedbacks. Geez.

I have read and discovered how things turned out for the families in the movie - how Peter did well and eventually Heather did get the cochlear followed by several other family members. I more wanted feedback on my ideas about hearies attempting to change the Deaf to fit their idea of "ideal," rather than reaching out and meeting the Deaf culture by learning about it and stuff. The parts about Sound and Fury are included because that is what the assignment on, when I mentioned Peter, I was talking about hearing parents of deaf children in general, rather than that particular situation, because I can see how Peter would remain fully immersed in the Deaf world as so many of his relatives are also Deaf. Honestly a situation like his or the other girl who got the cochlear in the deaf family are what I would consider an ideal situation for someone with a cochlear. Allow them to enjoy the world they were born into...

And by the way, I'm female :) My name is similar to Emma.

Oh, that's different. lol

I like the content. You need to edit for run on sentences, punctuation and grammar mistakes. Sorry! You asked.

Also, I am writing this which I think the rest of my class will see. Several members of my class made comments while we were watching the movie about how Heather's parents had "brain-washed" her into their lie that the Deaf world had nothing wrong. I may also post it on FB for all to see in an attempt to spread a little awareness.

Another thing is that the "going in and ruining another culture by forcing your beliefs on them" is another thing that I have a major disagreement. I strongly believe in meeting people where they are, and as a missionary, I have learned about numerous cultures around the world, learned their language, their customs, and their beliefs. I did all this without forcing any of my own beliefs on them. I may openly share about my own customs and beliefs, but they are free to choose if they want to adopt parts of my culture, I do not force them into it.

Oh, that's different. lol

I like the content. You need to edit for run on sentences, punctuation and grammar mistakes. Sorry! You asked.

That is what I want! I haven't proof-read it at all yet, just finished writing it and I'll do the proof-read tomorrow or later tonight. So focus more on content than mistakes, but you can correct those too if you want. I'm very good at run-on sentences, especially when passionate about something!

too many reading to high personal take an time not finish reading!

Passion is good. You've got some good point on paper. You can clean it up later.

You seem to be very open to other cultures. Some people are not open to other cultures and they can't see anything from anyone else's perspective. If the students in your class are young, there is still time for them to open their minds in the future. They just have't had many experiences yet.

Emmer;1926074[B said:
Summary:[/B] Cochlear implants forced on deaf children of hearing parents is wrong. Allowing a child to get a cochlear implant while still immersing him in his own Deaf culture is a much better idea.

Hi Emmer, are you undecided at this point whether you want to take the position that it's wrong for deaf children to use CIs or if you do support CIs for children when combined with a decision to use ASL, attend a deaf school, and otherwise be immersed in deaf culture as well?

Do you take the same position with hearing aids?

I believe, at this point (which could always change!) that CI's are okay for Deaf children, as long as it is a tool to help - like Hearing Aids - rather than a way to "fix" the child and make him hearing. So in other words - yes, I believe that CIs in children combined with ASL, Deaf schools, and involvement in the Deaf culture is the best option. Though I think that the way Heather's parents waited until she was a little older and could help make the decision herself (as opposed to an infant/toddler) might be a better choice.

My view is that the children are still deaf (without the CI) and if immersed in the Deaf culture, they still maintain their Deaf identity. However, the CI should NEVER be forced on anyone. Period. It is an option to help you see into another culture, not a way to force you to live in a culture you can't understand.

By the way - I love the quote in your signature from Marschark, that is so perfect, and so true.

Though the majority of my class is normal college-aged, it was the older women (30's-50's, I think, I'm horrible at guessing ages) who were making those comments. Of course, I realize that they grew up in a different culture with different views and beliefs on the Deaf community than what we believe now, because I think we are a little more accepting of Deaf though we still have a long way to go. It just made me very sad to see what some people think about the Deaf and their culture.

I like your comments, and agree, Emmer. (I am Deaf myself.)

Unfortunately I think you will see the wrath of several hearing parents on this board who will disagree with you. Be prepared!

I was expecting that, after all, what is the point in choosing what you believe in if you don't bother to hear the other point of view? Actually, I'm hoping they chime in, as I'd like to hear it directly from them.

All of you guys are misunderstood. Emmer wrote this for ASL class and Emmer wanted to show you guys what he/she wrote. he/she doesn't ask for ideas. he/she asked for feedbacks. Geez.

Nothing against the OP....just the topic will bring on the same fighting like in many other threads.

I believe, at this point (which could always change!) that CI's are okay for Deaf children, as long as it is a tool to help - like Hearing Aids - rather than a way to "fix" the child and make him hearing. So in other words - yes, I believe that CIs in children combined with ASL, Deaf schools, and involvement in the Deaf culture is the best option. Though I think that the way Heather's parents waited until she was a little older and could help make the decision herself (as opposed to an infant/toddler) might be a better choice.

My view is that the children are still deaf (without the CI) and if immersed in the Deaf culture, they still maintain their Deaf identity. However, the CI should NEVER be forced on anyone. Period. It is an option to help you see into another culture, not a way to force you to live in a culture you can't understand.

By the way - I love the quote in your signature from Marschark, that is so perfect, and so true.

Though the majority of my class is normal college-aged, it was the older women (30's-50's, I think, I'm horrible at guessing ages) who were making those comments. Of course, I realize that they grew up in a different culture with different views and beliefs on the Deaf community than what we believe now, because I think we are a little more accepting of Deaf though we still have a long way to go. It just made me very sad to see what some people think about the Deaf and their culture.
Gotcha. I don't know whether the people making comments in your class are familiar with CIs -- it's easy for someone who doesn't know what they really do and how they work to think they might "fix" something, but as you may know, and as anyone with a CI or any parent --hearng or deaf-- of a child with a CI knows, it's a tool, not a "fix" and the person using that tool is still deaf.

I love marschark's quote too, if you check out his site, associated with ntid, you might find some good data or ideas for your class : educatingdeafchildren.org . In my signature there's a link to an interesting interview with him.

Back