Sotomayor's views on guns prompt questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Portland Man Defends Home With Handgun Against Intruder: 911 Audio
In July 2007, Portland Oregon resident Leroy Hudson, 71, shot 26-year-old Brent Sweet in the head as Sweet "allegedly" tried to break into Hudson's home on Northeast Glisan Street. Mr. Hudson, his wife and his wife's even more elderly mother were all home at the time of the attempted home invasion.

The following audio of the incident was captured on the 911 call Mrs. Hudson made to the police while Sweet was breaking in to her home:

For those who don't hear the audio, things ended well for the Hudsons, but not so well for Mr. Sweet because Mr. Hudson shot him in the head with a .38 caliber handgun as Sweet was attempting to break in through the back door. Sensibly, the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office declined to file any charges against Mr. Hudson but (again, sensibly) did charge Mr. Sweet, who survived, with one count of first degree criminal trespassing.

Please note a couple of things. First, Mr. Hudson exercised extreme restraint and good marksmanship. He controlled his weapon and fired one round. He did NOT continue firing when it was clear he was no longer in danger. Second, the residents are a combination of elderly, African-Americans being victimized by a white hoodlum--so much for stereotypes! Mr. Sweet was 26 years old at the time and without their readily accessible firearm, the residents would have been at a considerable disadvantage against a young and determined home invader.

Note as well that even though Mrs. Hudson was on the phone to the police--and our city cops have a GREAT response time--this did nothing to get the young man off her back porch.

As the saying goes, "WHEN SECONDS COUNT, THE POLICE ARE ONLY MINUTES AWAY."

This is one reason why hand guns are legitimate tools for all law-abiding members of the public to own.

I wish the best of luck to Mr. and Mrs. Hudson after this ordeal, as well as the sincere hope that Mr. Sweet has an uncomplicated recovery and is able to take steps to turn his life around.
Blue Steel Democrats: Portland Man Defends Home With Handgun Against Intruder: 911 Audio

but JAWS caused people to nearly wiped out sharks over unfounded, illogical fear.

we're not here to change your mind either.

I know quite a handful of law-abiding citizens with no record who should NOT be driving :)

Yea it's blatantly obvious that shark is man's number 1 enemy. A whole 4 people were killed last year by sharks. FOUR!!!!! Brutal.

Okay maybe not change my mind, but.... my "misconceptions" being corrected.

I never understood the comparison of driving vs guns. The usefulness of gun is basically nil compared to driving in America. It's not that black and white. It's really comparing the benefits vs risk of something.

I mean do you honestly think that there's more citizen "intervention" than legal (police) intervention? Even if it's about the same, the number of accidental deaths still outweigh the combined interventions.

Here's the sad part.. if there really were hard raw numbers that couldn't be disputed that showed that there's way too many accidental deaths vs lives saved from being protected by guns, I doubt it would make a difference for the pro-gun owners. To me, there's something wrong with that picture.

Yea it's blatantly obvious that shark is man's number 1 enemy. A whole 4 people were killed last year by sharks. FOUR!!!!! Brutal.

Okay maybe not change my mind, but.... my "misconceptions" being corrected.

I never understood the comparison of driving vs guns. The usefulness of gun is basically nil compared to driving in America. It's not that black and white. It's really comparing the benefits vs risk of something.
the gun..... is what built and protected America. :)

I mean do you honestly think that there's more citizen "intervention" than legal (police) intervention? Even if it's about the same, the number of accidental deaths still outweigh the combined interventions.
let's see... 300 million people (not including illegals) and roughly 600,000 police officers. yep I honestly think there's more citizen intervention than police intervention.

Here's the sad part.. if there really were hard raw numbers that couldn't be disputed that showed that there's way too many accidental deaths vs lives saved from being protected by guns, I doubt it would make a difference for the pro-gun owners. To me, there's something wrong with that picture.
got statistic/data/etc. to back that?

let's see... 300 million people (not including illegals) and roughly 600,000 police officers. yep I honestly think there's more citizen intervention than police intervention.

A better argument would be *insert number* of gun owners vs 600,000 police officers. Although I just googled it and there indeed is a much higher number of gun owners than police officers. So I lost right there.

got statistic/data/etc. to back that?

My point was not the statistics, but rather that people are so focused on the right of bearing arms that they don't even think twice about statistics. I HOPE the numbers say that guns are ultimately beneficial, but sometimes I don't even think some gun owners care, because all they do is wave the 2nd Amendment.

Fact of the matter is there's way too many gun related deaths here in America, and we need to do something about it. We can't just say "yea well people kill people, it's not the guns' fault." Doing something about it doesn't necessarily mean take away the guns.

here are numbers for you -

link 1
link 2

and yes we must try our best to improve and promote gun safety and gun awareness.

I notice some of you consider guns as a self-defense but you forget quickly about high gun violence.

How about Gun violence ?

Illinois Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

the U.S. leads the world in firearm violence. Gun violence costs the U.S. $100 billion each year in medical costs, mental health treatment and rehabilitation, loss of productivity, and legal and judicial costs.

And further read in that link...

BlackCommentator.com - May 7, 2009 - Issue 323

Gun Violence Statistics

And many senseless shootings in several threads. Example of all, shoot first and then ask questions later. It makes no sense.

I don't know of any 2nd Amendment supporters who have "forgotten" about gun violence. We just know how to put it into perspective.

Why should law-abiding citizens have to surrender their rights just because the bad guys break the laws?

the gun..... is what built and protected America. :)

and now it is slowly killing it, how can the so called superpower be the slowest to see that, times change, the founders were aware of that, but what they werent aware of was some trigger happy gun totting idiots that would hide behind their plan, if they were aware of that they would have shot you themselves, it was for a better life and from protection at the current time, (long gone by decades cowboys) but anyway times move on, policies change, yet the so called new world(the US) is the most reluctant to change out of all of us, the most gun deaths crime deaths ect, so why are you so blind to it, is it the pathetic fear some fool pointed out being taken over by commonists, or by gun totting kids? who wouldn't have a gun if the rules were upto UK standard.
Reba and Jiro, you have not given one logical reason for keeping a gun other than if ye come on my land I will shoot you brigade, I really thought you both were better than that. fighting for a patheric right to kill rather than to live, the same applies in africa, and so long as you can keep your gun for no reason, the deaths are all justified?? as much as i have liked our chats/debates in the past this one disgusts me to be honest, so long as im ok F*** the world, shame on you both

I notice some of you consider guns as a self-defense but you forget quickly about high gun violence.

How about Gun violence ?

Illinois Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

the U.S. leads the world in firearm violence. Gun violence costs the U.S. $100 billion each year in medical costs, mental health treatment and rehabilitation, loss of productivity, and legal and judicial costs.

And further read in that link...

BlackCommentator.com - May 7, 2009 - Issue 323

Gun Violence Statistics

And many senseless shootings in several threads. Example of all, shoot first and then ask questions later. It makes no sense.

Well, there's many states that has strong democrat support, except for NC, PA and few states are usually have more gun restriction but it couldn't guarantee if it's totally avoid because some people got firearm from black market and don't know how to place in safe or how to handle the guns.

CA has more gun restriction than in any states but firearm related injuries or death couldn't be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back